New S-Works Turbo Rapid Air tubeless tyre

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
aeroisnteverything

by aeroisnteverything

I was quite intrigued when we first saw the reports of a new Spesh-made tubeless being ridden/tested by DQT - and here it is: https://cyclingtips.com/2019/07/special ... -unveiled/

Unfortunately, it's not going to be a class-leading RR. Nor is it claiming to be. I've done the math, and taking the bar chart in the article at face value, the CRR works out to be 0.00324159 at 7 bar (or around 100psi). For those more familiar with Jarno's protocols from bicyclerollingresistance.com, this will equate to 10.9 watts at 100 psi at his speed/rider weight. Not bad, but slower than Turbo Cottons (10.1 watts, with butyl), Hutchison Fusion 5 Galactic (same, tubeless) and of course GP5000TL (8.9 watts) at the same pressure.

But there are interesting claims about improved grip, with a bit of data. Comparison is made vs turbo tubular tyre - which I have not seen tested elsewhere. Has anyone ridden that one? Any reports?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

robeambro

by robeambro

Ah, that's interesting.

If it's a tyre they plan on "forcing" pros to ride (and I'm hoping they do, to foster innovation quickly), then we can be assured it has very good grip and at least decent RR.

Sock3t

by Sock3t

I'd be happy to give it a try. I loved my 28mm GP5K-tl's. The 25's imo are a mistake.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

Let's hope the work on my Enve 4.5AR... I'll try them in 28mm
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

romanmoser

by romanmoser

about time

anykarthik

by anykarthik

More than happy to give up 2-3W in RR for better grip in wet and dry and better cut resistance. Ideally also at a low weight. Been happy with Hutch 11storm Fusion Perf tires for 1.5 years now which has been the right set of compromises for me so far. Hopefully these will be in that ballpark?

AnkitS

by AnkitS

Our inside rep flatted so we 'threw away' his old tire. Well after taking photos and weighing it. Didn't get time to remove sealent so this is totally useless by the way. Cited weights are pretty much correct. No tires levers needed to take on and off. (At least after usage)ImageImage

sychen

by sychen

I'm confused.. Your inside rep already ruined the new tire? And threw it away as it is beyond repair?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

Whats hard to believe about someone cutting a tyre beyond being able to seal back up?

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk

Using Tapatalk

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

sychen wrote:
Sun Aug 25, 2019 11:04 am
I'm confused.. Your inside rep already ruined the new tire? And threw it away as it is beyond repair?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

The rep is in the SF Bay Area. California has mostly terrible roads, and in urban areas there is broken glass everywhere.

spartan

by spartan

specialized tubeless tech is not class leading.

the lightest tubeless ready tires are .... made in japan by panaracer.
240gm for a 28mm tlr wow !!

https://www.excelsports.com/main.asp?pa ... 1&minor=56

the negative. most tests on previous evo3 compound show they have piss poor rr. has anyone bought one ? maybe specialized can license griptron
Current Rides:

2023 Tarmac SL7 Di2 9270
ex 2019 S-works SL6
ex 2018 Trek Madone SLR Disc
ex 2016 Giant TCRAdvanced Sl
ex 2012 Trek Madone7

AnkitS

by AnkitS

sychen wrote:
Sun Aug 25, 2019 11:04 am
This tire was shot. I forgot to ask him how many miles were on the tires but he has had them for 5 months. The tire sealed and was holding air but he wanted a new tire that didn't give him more issues. This was the first "flat" he had on the tires.
Completely subjective but he doesn't make money if we buy a shit load of these tires so I believe his word more than our outside rep.

Sock3t

by Sock3t

do we have a due date on these?

AnkitS

by AnkitS

I'm getting my set in September. That will be the "ltd release" with special sidewall lettering or whatever. The regular release will follow. They are still not on the specialized dealer site.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Sock3t

by Sock3t

icantaffordcycling wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 1:23 am
I'm getting my set in September. That will be the "ltd release" with special sidewall lettering or whatever. The regular release will follow. They are still not on the specialized dealer site.
Thanks for the heads up. Happy with my GP5KTL's for right now but miss the big tyre. The 25's aren't bad, but I loved the 28's.