Pirelli Pzero family tire discussion thread.

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
Marin

by Marin

Hexsense wrote:BTW, Bicycle rolling resistance review are up for a few days already.

Hmm I am disapoint

The tires don't seem to be very fast and reports say they aren't very supple. They are quite light for "mainstream" tires but there doesn't seem to be a compelling reason to get them.

Hexsense

by Hexsense

Marin wrote:
Hexsense wrote:BTW, Bicycle rolling resistance review are up for a few days already.

Hmm I am disapoint

The tires don't seem to be very fast and reports say they aren't very supple. They are quite light for "mainstream" tires but there doesn't seem to be a compelling reason to get them.

Corsa G+ is suppler than Pirelli but it pick up too much debris in wet road so it's not a great training tire in my area.
Michelin Power Competition Grip well, fast but it front and rear i tested both die with big cuts within one month in my area. If your area has better road i feel like this is one go to tire.
Schwalbe Pro One for some reason doesn't grip well in my test. I fall by slipping front wheel in wet corner once on it at slower speed than i currently ride through corner with the Pirelli Velo.
Continental GP4000sII durability is a strong point. Not as cut prone on the sidewall as Michelin. Relatively Harsh ride. Not as grippy as Pirelli. Excellent Aero shape when new but it square off noticably later on.

So Pirelli is one that just work. Best part is the grip. The rest are compromise. Survive my road. Suppler than Conti. I'll surely keep using it at least as a front tire. Rear can be Pirelli or Conti, i'm not sure yet.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

spartan

by spartan

fyi pirelli tires are manufactured by Hutchison. now everyone understands why these tires are disappointment. light yes but harsh/dead feeling.
Current Rides:

2023 Tarmac SL7 Di2 9270
ex 2019 S-works SL6
ex 2018 Trek Madone SLR Disc
ex 2016 Giant TCRAdvanced Sl
ex 2012 Trek Madone7

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

spartan wrote:fyi pirelli tires are manufactured by Hutchison. now everyone understands why these tires are disappointment. light yes but harsh/dead feeling.

TBH my Zipp Tangente Speed RT25 tubeless feel amazing at lower to medium pressures. They're manufactured by Hutchinson also, along with the new Mavic tubeless. My only complaint about Hutchinson manufactured tires in general is their tread longevity.

ClydesdaleChris

by ClydesdaleChris

Has anyone measured the 28mm installed yet?
BandiCoote

Eddy Merckx Roubaix70 custom build
Trek Émonda 2018 SLR

stormur

by stormur

I did, few posts back...
Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company.
Mark Twain

I can be wrong, and have plenty of examples for that ;)

dim

by dim

stop faffing around, and get what works .... Specialized Turbo Cotton
Trek Emonda SL6
Miyata One Thousand

ClydesdaleChris

by ClydesdaleChris

my 0.02c worth:

Just fitted a set of 28mm Velo's (standards) to the SLR 2018 Emonda. 17C wheels. measures 29mm wide, BUT 27mm tall. So these are not as wide as the GP4000SII 28mm, which come to 31mm, but are a touch taller. Something to think about. I am using R8000 direct mount calipers and there's heaps of room. The GP4K28's rubbed on the calipers before hitting the brake blocks.

I am very, very impressed with the road holding, cornering and smoothness of the tyre. These beat the GP4000SII for cornering stability, feedback and handling due to their shape when installed and braking grip is far superior.

So to anyone considering these in 25 or 28mm for a fast road or racing tyre, don't hesitate. give them a go. Very happy. I'll consider a set of 4S for the training wheelset.
BandiCoote

Eddy Merckx Roubaix70 custom build
Trek Émonda 2018 SLR

moyboy

by moyboy

Thanks for the review and comparison to the GP 4000 S II, it's on my wishlist for the year.
ClydesdaleChris wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:01 am
my 0.02c worth:

Just fitted a set of 28mm Velo's (standards) to the SLR 2018 Emonda. 17C wheels. measures 29mm wide, BUT 27mm tall. So these are not as wide as the GP4000SII 28mm, which come to 31mm, but are a touch taller. Something to think about. I am using R8000 direct mount calipers and there's heaps of room. The GP4K28's rubbed on the calipers before hitting the brake blocks.

I am very, very impressed with the road holding, cornering and smoothness of the tyre. These beat the GP4000SII for cornering stability, feedback and handling due to their shape when installed and braking grip is far superior.

So to anyone considering these in 25 or 28mm for a fast road or racing tyre, don't hesitate. give them a go. Very happy. I'll consider a set of 4S for the training wheelset.

stormur

by stormur

dim wrote:
Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:28 pm
stop faffing around, and get what works .... Specialized Turbo Cotton
How much €/$/£ you get per post ? ;) I'm really intrerested :roll:
Mark Twain

Sammutd88

by Sammutd88

I’ve ridden on the Velo 4S 28c’s. Soft and supple with excellent grip. Could only do 1 ride though due to caliper rub as they are a tad too tall for my frame.

Edit: Please refrain from offering to sell items outside of For Sale. Also, please read the rules for posting in the For Sale section.
Last edited by mdeth1313 on Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: trying to sell items outside for sale

stormur

by stormur

spartan wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:05 am
fyi pirelli tires are manufactured by Hutchison. now everyone understands why these tires are disappointment. light yes but harsh/dead feeling.
Again "opinion" instead of experience.... Did you rode them, had in hand at least ? No ? So stop trolling.
Mark Twain

Devastazione

by Devastazione

I'm gonna chime in with my experience with the Pirelli Pzeros,sorry if I'm late to the party.

I've been using them for 5 months on my recently sold TCR and I yet have to decide if they were worthy tires. The main issues I've had was getting the right operational pressure, at that point gripping was excellent but supplessness not that so. I've always found them to be the french cousins of Continental GP 4000s,tires I do dislike a lot. Durability is top notch,after 5 months on bad roads and with a big and heavy rider like I am they still looked brand new. All in all I'm not a fan of "round" tires and the Pzeros are very round. I'll most likely test them again on my 40mm Fulcrums and see how they perform,price is worth to give them another shot before going back to my beloved Sworks Turbos.

JackRussellRacing

by JackRussellRacing

Data point: My first Pzero outright failure this morning. I probably have 10-12k+ miles of Pzero Velo experience between multiple bikes (of course I have changed them perhaps every 3k miles or so).

Today, I had a wee bit of a power-slide rounding a corner @ 20mph and damaged the tire. I pushed much too hard for the next 5 miles @ about 25mph and finally decided it was time to pull the plug and limp home. Fresh Pzero rubber will go back on the bike tonight, and I'll continue to run this brand/tire for the foreseeable future.
Attachments
20180627_061739.jpg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

gregslo

by gregslo

Anyone with p zeros 4s who can measure them on 17 c rims? I had problems with wheel clearance on my bike with contis 4000s2. I need something softer for winter rides. I use vittoria corsa g+ now because they get to 26 mm and provide me enough clearance. On https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com/ they measured they are 27 mm wide. What I found with contis is that they get wider with use. I measured 29 after 4k. Thank you !