Tubeless with non-tubeless tires? Anyone tried it? How did it go?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Marin

by Marin

shimmeD wrote:Thanks for all your thoughts.
I'll just have a go to see how 19mm wide tape tango with 19mm wide internal rim, making sure of good adhesion to (clean) rim. I can tape edge to edge if the tape is wide enough to have 2 (over-lapping) layers over the spoke holes.

The Tesa tape I use comes in 19 and 25mm so I usually do 2 layers of 19mm overlapping over the spoke holes, and each reaching to the rim hook on 1 side. 25 would be too wide for my rims.

WinterRider

by WinterRider

My next set 'tubeless' will be Continentia Ultra ll's wire bead. Mounted one for a trial run yesterday.. inflated easily w the floor pump. I make the tape wrap snug fit... 3 layers on 200 Kinlin's.

Running Panaracer G Kings on the trail bike.. the version they limit to 60 psi sans tubes. Their ok.. light and fast .. think the Ultra 32's will do same.. had less than half the cost.. and wear much better.
Litespeed 2000 Appalachian 61 cm
Litespeed 1998 Blue Ridge 61cm

Fitness rider.. 1 yr from seven decades age.

That is my story and I'm stick'n to it.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ergott

by ergott

Please don't. It's really not that hard. Don't run non-tubeless tires tubeless.

Sounds like you have your mind made up, but for anyone else reading this, don't do it.

Don't run non-tubeless tires tubeless.

1415chris

by 1415chris

If you go down with the pressure a bit it should be ok. 60psi probably is still too high for what I would be ok with. Not that a tubeless in road application is something appealing to me.
Back in the days I have been using normal foldable mtb tyres in tubeless application with great success. No single technical issue for many years.
But tyre pressure never went above 30psi.

WinterRider

by WinterRider

ergott wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 2:59 pm
Please don't. It's really not that hard. Don't run non-tubeless tires tubeless.

Sounds like you have your mind made up, but for anyone else reading this, don't do it.

Don't run non-tubeless tires tubeless.
ALWAYS.. the voice of sound reason & wisdom. That disclaimer HAS to be noted on any mention of this 'speriment. Legal eagles... ambulance chasers et al. Yes.

But.. the individual still lives that accepts responsibility for their own actions.. see myself per the endeavor.

Flip'n and build'n wheels.. one sees the gamet of user/buyers. Be the first one to admit a DISCLAIMER is boldest print possible is in order. Average user is something between daft and asleep.

CASE in point per using NON tubeless tires for tubeless.. Panaracer G Kings.. they allow use of one model to 60 psi.. which I am trialing. This I find asking for issues... granted I can NOT find one to date... adhering to the 60 psi limit imposed. But your average goober forgets such when filling I am sure. And while I can inflate all of my tubeless tires and some NON tubeless tires on my rims of choice w a floor pump.. the said G Kings require a CO2 blast to 'pop'.

Said G Kings.. I for a test inflated to 80 psi and set them on asphalt driveway in the sun... no issues hot. I run 60 front 67ish rear.. they roll well.. my trail bike.

But.. IMO.. the G King recommender per tube-ass is a grey area..... if the lights are lit fine... but goober needs to avoid.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

got my first cut.. orange seal shower too.. 1/2 gash on rear Schwalbe ProOne ~500 miles

Pain in the ass to remove the tire, schwalbes blue tire irons are better then the other ones I had (tried the others first, waste of time) Was going to boot the tire and go then my barfly lever / inflator combo (which I have never used) was a POS that would not inflate my tire. Not like I'm going to waste a Co2 to test it right ? POS got chucked in the field while I made the call of shame to the wife.

what a f' mess ... cleaned the bike today. Not sure it's worth running road tubeless.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

WinterRider

by WinterRider

ergott wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:56 pm
If you haven't heard from enough people I'll add the same. DO NOT use a standard clincher tire in a tubeless setup. Tubeless tires have a different bead material that will not stretch. It is dangerous to try riding a standard clincher without a tube. Please don't do it.
Mounted a Continental ULtra ll this morn wire bead version on a Kinlin 22t. Two wraps of tape.. it sealed easily w a floor pump. I check valve seal .. a few bubbles on the bead as I expect. Will use a lite dose of the pumpkin colored sealant for bead air seal as the stuff dries so readily. If I wanted all the dry dead weight of sealant I'd just use tubes...

Warnings per non tubeless use via tubeless are warranted. I've mounted several non for fit tubeless.. first one I will actually run is this Ultra ll. Note the mount w floor pump.. very tight fit.. tire jack for mounting.. no way a thumbs operation. The usual counter is beads stretch.. do they NOT with tubeless? Anyone who's run them knows well those beads lengthen too. If anything the wire beads stretch less.

No sealant xcept the bead seal dose.. on road repair w slivers of inner tube and gel glue.

Not a recommendation for anyone to try.. anyone who assembles a bike wheel etc is responsible for their own endeavors. Obviously the deeper checkbook types should just let the shop mount/seal a set of tires for the job.