Light everyday shallow tubular wheelset

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

kfreytag

by kfreytag

I've been running a set of ENVE Classic 25s with DT 190 hubs, and whereas they're relatively light (1,064g for the pair), I'd like to upgrade and accomplish the following:

1. Lighter (lighter the better)
  2. Wider (I run 25mm tubs)
  3. Better braking

I'm 68kg and very easy on equipment. In 10s of thousands of miles, I've never had to true a wheel.

It looked like Roadsailor might be an option, but they won't ship wheels to the US.

Thoughts?
Last edited by kfreytag on Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Life's too short to ride clinchers.

Current:
Parlee Z-Zero ISP
Santa Cruz Stigmata CC

Past:
Ridley X-Fire Disc

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

FMB51

by FMB51

How about the FSE EVO 25T - with Extralite hubs - 888g

http://fse.bike/product/evo-25t-extrali ... -wheelset/

ergott

by ergott

I can attest to the braking quality of those rims. Very good (I've only ridden them in dry so far).

kfreytag

by kfreytag

FMB51 wrote:How about the FSE EVO 25T - with Extralite hubs - 888g

http://fse.bike/product/evo-25t-extrali ... -wheelset/

ergott wrote:I can attest to the braking quality of those rims. Very good (I've only ridden them in dry so far).

Well, the *price* is certainly right. That's compelling.

Ergott -- How long have you had these? Any issues with stiffness?

Current:
Parlee Z-Zero ISP
Santa Cruz Stigmata CC

Past:
Ridley X-Fire Disc

ergott

by ergott

I've had them for a couple months now.

My build is with Wheels Mfg hubs (formerly Alchemy) and I used DT Aero Comps for the right rear. They are super stiff and can easily handle everyday abuse. Rims are about 260g.

RyanH

by RyanH

I think ergott has them laced with a more reasonable spoke count to Wheels Mfg hubs.

The FSE seem to be the current lightest option for a rim which seems odd. Who's making the rims for Extralite C32 and Roadsailor?

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

what wrong with Enve 2.2. Excellent braking although you will eat the new pads like crazy. The are pretty wide as well. I did not go crazy light and just got standard DT240 hubs.. I have the extralites on the 4.5 clinchers.

those FSE's do seem pretty light and the price is pretty good if they come with extralite hubs.... I don't use them in the wet much....but I would daily ride extralite hubs without a second thought.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

ergott

by ergott

spdntrxi wrote:what wrong with Enve 2.2. Excellent braking although you will eat the new pads like crazy. The are pretty wide as well. I did not go crazy light and just got standard DT240 hubs.. I have the extralites on the 4.5 clinchers.

those FSE's do seem pretty light and the price is pretty good if they come with extralite hubs.... I don't use them in the wet much....but I would daily ride extralite hubs without a second thought.

I didn't go Enve because these rims are lighter, less expensive, and offer a textured brake track like Enve. The difference is the brake track is much quieter than the waffle pattern on Enve. I rode behind my friend and when he did a late brake stop at an intersection I could see the plume of brake dust blow off the bike! It's overkill.

I also think a shallow rim doesn't need to be 27mm especially in tubular. If you want aero get the 3.4 or deeper. The 2.2s should have been a ultra climbing set of rims and they aren't. All they had to do was update the Classic 25mm they used to have.

kfreytag

by kfreytag

RyanH wrote:The FSE seem to be the current lightest option for a rim which seems odd. Who's making the rims for Extralite C32 and Roadsailor?

Aren't the AX Lightness rims lighter (sub-200g)? No idea who's making the C32 or Roadsailor rims. That'd be great to find out.

spdntrxi wrote:what wrong with Enve 2.2. Excellent braking although you will eat the new pads like crazy. The are pretty wide as well.

Nothing wrong with them. They are heavier than the Classic 25s I'm already on, though.

spdntrxi wrote:I would daily ride extralite hubs without a second thought.

That's good to know. I hear varying reports, but it seems, in the past few years, that Extralite has gotten robust enough to become a daily driver. Thanks!

Current:
Parlee Z-Zero ISP
Santa Cruz Stigmata CC

Past:
Ridley X-Fire Disc

Imaking20

by Imaking20

How about Aeolus XXX? :)

Light years better braking compared to the Enve classics, 950g, and DT190 based hubs

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com