Winter is coming - what wheels are you gonna ride?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

whosatthewheel

by whosatthewheel

Same as summer... DT 460 on Hope RS4... rims are cheap enough to replace at please. I use cheaper, more grippy tyres though and I have fitted SKSs.
I also eat more cake during rides... :mrgreen:

bobones

by bobones

Slightly off topic, but can you fit 25mm tyres under those guards with the Dual, and are those long reach calipers or standard?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

whosatthewheel

by whosatthewheel

Yes you can, but it's a tight fit, so it depends on the tyres. These are Durano 25.
Standard 5800 calipers. I believe the 8000 should work too...

Multebear

by Multebear

whosatthewheel wrote:Yes you can, but it's a tight fit, so it depends on the tyres. These are Durano 25.

Are you in UK? Dolan, Hope and "tyres" should suggest so. If so, that's a strong setup to overcome british winter. The rims are reasonably friendly on the purse and also fairly durable. Good tire choice as well. I've been looking at the Dual for some time, and it makes for a really nice 4 season ride with clearance, mudguard eyelets and all. How racey is the frame? Race or endurance? And how about the Hope hubs? How do the they perform in british winter?

Skylark

by Skylark

I would love to build a set of handbuilts for year round riding.

oraclesin

by oraclesin

Shimano C60 R9100

fromtrektocolnago

by fromtrektocolnago

mavic kyrsium disc with 32 mm compass tires. come winter i switch mostly to my gravel bike. the firefly
Colnago C-59 (Dura Ace)
Firefly(Ultegra)
Colnago C-64 disc(ultegra) with Bora 35 wheels

whosatthewheel

by whosatthewheel

Multebear wrote:
whosatthewheel wrote:Yes you can, but it's a tight fit, so it depends on the tyres. These are Durano 25.

Are you in UK? Dolan, Hope and "tyres" should suggest so. If so, that's a strong setup to overcome british winter. The rims are reasonably friendly on the purse and also fairly durable. Good tire choice as well. I've been looking at the Dual for some time, and it makes for a really nice 4 season ride with clearance, mudguard eyelets and all. How racey is the frame? Race or endurance? And how about the Hope hubs? How do the they perform in british winter?

Yes, It's all good... as you say this is my 4 seasons/ Audax setup. In summer I remove the guards, fit some better tyres and that's it.

The Dual is an awesome frameset, although to be fair, the Preffisio is nearly as good for a fraction of the price. Hope are my obsession... I built hundreds of them for customers over the years and I finally got myself a pair... great hubs!

BRad704

by BRad704

Cross bike are gonna cheap their cheap oem wheels (Oval and whatever Raleigh puts on bikes).

The road bike is gonna be on Easton EA90SLX. I actually pulled off some cheaper Shimano RS21's last month.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Multebear

by Multebear

Skylark wrote:I would love to build a set of handbuilts for year round riding.

What's holding you back?

How about this wheelset? Reasonably priced, handbuild and reliable parts.

https://www.merlincycles.com/shimano-10 ... 59395.html

Skylark

by Skylark

Lol I'd build a better set than that crap...

Multebear

by Multebear

Skylark wrote:Lol I'd build a better set than that crap...

Sure thing, but that will probably not belong in this topic then. Horses for courses....