Bora Ultra 35 (2015) or Mavic Ksryum Pro SL Haute Route for climbing wheels? (both tubs)

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Noctiluxx

by Noctiluxx

Im looking at these two wheelsets as strictly climbing wheels. Both wheel sets come in at around 1200 grams, under $2K, and have with some great reviews. Both offer ceramic hubs, but the Mavics seem to have better braking, according to review. Currently have the Bora Ultra 50 clinchers as my main wheels.
Thanks!
Bianchi Oltre XR4, De Rosa SK Pininfarina, Trek Madone SLR, Giant TCR Advanced SL, Cervelo R5 Disk, Giant Revolt

romalor

by romalor

BORA always
better wheels that's it

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

CLEAR

by CLEAR

Bora ... or Boras

sawyer

by sawyer

Bora (if on Campagnolo)

Mavic (if on Shimano / SRAM) or get the Racing Speed 40T
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

markyboy

by markyboy

boras you no it makes sense :thumbup:
Colnago arabesque campagnolo super record 12
Colnago c64
Cinelli zydeco grx di2

Vermu

by Vermu

Bora for campa and fulcrum for the rest

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mep

by Mep

I thought that the Mavics are 1400g. Where are you seeing that it's under 1200g?

C36

by C36

Guys 5 replies and none explain anything :noidea: :noidea: ... is the Bora a "good" wheel? sure it it has a good track reccord but based on what do you claim it's better than the Ksy carbon ? I am interested to see any lab report on their compared stiffness or even if there is anything on Aero (or worse case a test-road comparing both).

C36

by C36

Mep wrote:I thought that the Mavics are 1400g. Where are you seeing that it's under 1200g?

You probably refer to the Aluminium rim version, not the carbon one? I haven't seen anything on a scale but I 1200g seems about right.

wingguy

by wingguy

C36 wrote:Guys 5 replies and none explain anything :noidea: :noidea: ... is the Bora a "good" wheel? sure it it has a good track reccord but based on what do you claim it's better than the Ksy carbon ?

The Mavics have better braking (best out there), the Boras are better at stiffness and strength. I don't have a lab report, but having ridden them back to back on the same bike the Boras are definitely stiffer.

Asteroid

by Asteroid

Vermu wrote:Bora for campa and fulcrum for the rest

Somebody here, a couple months ago, helpfully pointed out to me that Campagnolo's wheelsets are available with Shimano freehubs.
So I found tubular Bora Ultra 35's at planetcyclery for $1,400usd delivered. (They run $1,495 there at the moment.)
http://planetcyclery.com/campagnolo-bor ... ight-label
Would prefer the dark label, but could not find for anywhere near the same price. (The "bright" label is hardly bright, in my opinion.)
Unable to compare against the Mavics, but am very pleased with these Boras. Best set of wheels I've ever owned.
Oldbie

nemeseri

by nemeseri

Noctiluxx wrote:Im looking at these two wheelsets as strictly climbing wheels. Both wheel sets come in at around 1200 grams, under $2K, and have with some great reviews. Both offer ceramic hubs, but the Mavics seem to have better braking, according to review. Currently have the Bora Ultra 50 clinchers as my main wheels.
Thanks!

Tour International tested the Bora 50, fulcrum quattro (almost identical with bora 35), Mavic Cosmic Pro Carbon SL C and ksyrium pro exalith sl in the 8/2016 issue (they have an iOS app and you can buy the issue for $2-4). While the mavics aren't the same you have in mind, you might want to check out the test before you buy. They did tested the lateral stiffness of the wheels too.

Bottom line: the ksyriums performed weak in the aero tests and tour mag loved the bora / fulcrum wheels. They indicated that the braking power faded with time on the new mavic brake surface. I found this quite surprising because every other reviews raved about them.

bilwit

by bilwit

Asteroid wrote:
Vermu wrote:Bora for campa and fulcrum for the rest

Somebody here, a couple months ago, helpfully pointed out to me that Campagnolo's wheelsets are available with Shimano freehubs.
So I found tubular Bora Ultra 35's at planetcyclery for $1,400usd delivered. (They run $1,495 there at the moment.)
http://planetcyclery.com/campagnolo-bor ... ight-label
Would prefer the dark label, but could not find for anywhere near the same price. (The "bright" label is hardly bright, in my opinion.)
Unable to compare against the Mavics, but am very pleased with these Boras. Best set of wheels I've ever owned.

there's something about having "campagnolo" written on the rims on a bike with Shimano/SRAM components that just doesn't sit well.. :x

C36

by C36

nemeseri wrote:
Noctiluxx wrote:Im looking at these two wheelsets as strictly climbing wheels. Both wheel sets come in at around 1200 grams, under $2K, and have with some great reviews. Both offer ceramic hubs, but the Mavics seem to have better braking, according to review. Currently have the Bora Ultra 50 clinchers as my main wheels.
Thanks!

Tour International tested the Bora 50, fulcrum quattro (almost identical with bora 35), Mavic Cosmic Pro Carbon SL C and ksyrium pro exalith sl in the 8/2016 issue (they have an iOS app and you can buy the issue for $2-4). While the mavics aren't the same you have in mind, you might want to check out the test before you buy. They did tested the lateral stiffness of the wheels too.

Bottom line: the ksyriums performed weak in the aero tests and tour mag loved the bora / fulcrum wheels. They indicated that the braking power faded with time on the new mavic brake surface. I found this quite surprising because every other reviews raved about them.

Well... Different rim height different spoke length between the two boras, different rim material, shape and spoke material... The only sure thing is that nothing on this retest is useful to compare the bora 35 and the ksyrium Carbon...

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

nemeseri

by nemeseri

C36 wrote:Well... Different rim height different spoke length between the two boras, different rim material, shape and spoke material... The only sure thing is that nothing on this retest is useful to compare the bora 35 and the ksyrium Carbon...

You are right that there is not too much information in the test regarding the wheels in the topic. BUT they reviewed the braking performance of the bora 50 and mavic cosmic pro carbon (shares the same brake track with the ksyrium). You can also make at least guesses that how the lower profile bora 35 compares to the ksyriums too regarding aero performance. That's not much, but at least relevant information.. AFAIK there are no real tests about the bora 35 or ksyrium tubular wheels at all.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com