Roval 64 CLX Tubeless Problems Leaks

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

GatSCU

by GatSCU

I have a new S Works Venge with Roval tubeless front tire only that leaks frequently. I have local good bake shop check leaks three times and hold it over night, after one ride it will completely flat. also I have reinstalled the tire with new sealant twice according to instructions and the most the air has held was one week. I think this is a bad design or bad wheel, anyone have any suggestions?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

where are the leaks? sidewall or thread?
'Tape was made to wrap your GF's gifts, NOT hold a freakin tire on.'
If you want to see 'meh' content of me and my bike you can follow my life in pictures here!

pyrahna

by pyrahna

GatSCU wrote:I have a new S Works Venge with Roval tubeless front tire only that leaks frequently. I have local good bake shop check leaks three times and hold it over night, after one ride it will completely flat. also I have reinstalled the tire with new sealant twice according to instructions and the most the air has held was one week. I think this is a bad design or bad wheel, anyone have any suggestions?

There are a lot of questions....are you using tape or the included Roval plugs? Are you using a tubeless tire? Are you seating the tire fully? In general tubeless should work, and I would expect some pressure loss over a weeks time....but it shouldn't be completely flat. Like tubes (especially latex) you should be pumping up before each ride, and the pressure should remain pretty constant over the course of a ride. Can you see a spot where the sealant is pooling and clotting? The leak might be there.

Miller

by Miller

You could also check that the valve is seated properly, and that the valve core is snug and functioning well.

GatSCU

by GatSCU

Yes I have had the dealer who is a specialized dealer check the rim Valve everything that is possible the issue is the tire is inconsistent and would leak either immediately or be OK for a week.

alcatraz

by alcatraz

Check for leaks. Spray it with soapy water and check for a small leak.

It's probably not in the tire but around the bead or rim.

Also is it both wheels or only one wheel? Could the rim be cracked or damaged?

/a

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

Could it be that there isn't enough sealant in the tire to coat the inside of it completely and take care of leaks? Is the bead of the tire completely seated? Is the rim tape sticking to the rim completely?
'Tape was made to wrap your GF's gifts, NOT hold a freakin tire on.'
If you want to see 'meh' content of me and my bike you can follow my life in pictures here!

Y26

by Y26

GatSCU wrote:Yes I have had the dealer who is a specialized dealer check the rim Valve everything that is possible the issue is the tire is inconsistent and would leak either immediately or be OK for a week.

So... it is the tire then? Thanks for the update.

alcatraz

by alcatraz

GatSCU wrote:.

Did you find out what was wrong with it? :D

/a

GatSCU

by GatSCU

Still leaks, replaced the tire both rear and front leak inconsistently

Geoff

by Geoff

Well, if you don't install them yourself, there is no way yo tell what is going on. I have questions about the plugs that Roval uses. I think that there is more 'risk' of leakage than with tape. As part of my long-term tubeless test, I have added a set of Bontrager Aeolus 5s (I didn't have a carbon set in the test) this week. When I got them, the tires were installed already. The rear leaked inexplicably, too. I ended-up redoing them myself and they are perfect now. There is no way to tell exactly what was wrong with the original install.

I would recommend that you strip them and reinstall yourself, only then you can be sure.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com