Newmen hubs, what mid depth carbon rims?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

rapsac

by rapsac

Hi, having just bought some nice Newmen disc hubs, I am now looking for some lightweight mid depth carbon clincher rims without brake track.
Have looked at MCFK 35mm, but weights seem to vary between 350 claimed (3k) to 377 weighted (3k). Any alternatives? Tubeless ready preferred, not required. Currently using latex inner tubes with 25 or 28mm tires.
Looking for something between 35 and 45mm. For low depth the Newmen rims would be a solution, but would prefer mid depth (visual preference).

Rear hub, 24h, centerlock, 20T ratchet, 12x142mm

Front hub, 24h, centerlock, incl 12mm adaptors, 12/15x100mm

Note that the wheelset is for my Canyon Endurace CF SLX and to avoid derailling the thread, I weigh 72kg.

Thanks!
Last edited by rapsac on Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:06 am, edited 6 times in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

JayUK

by JayUK

Hi there,

I am looking in to a set of new wheels, and was initially considering DT 240s hubs, but have been offered a set of Newmen ones instead. What made you chose them over a more well established hub?

Are you based in Germany?

I see there is a weight discrepancy with the Newman products:
Advertised: 95g & 183g
Your scales: 102g & 190g

Where have you seen the actual weight of the MCFK rim (377g)? They stated a 5% tolerance, so could be as heavy as 383g

Cheers,

J.

rapsac

by rapsac

My shortlist was composed of CarbonTi straightpull (have some Jbend ones on my mtb wheels) and Newmen. Guys from Newmen did all development at Syntace, incl wheels. I like the fact that it has a ratchet mechanism, but yes, still unproven. But I don't expect problems. And some €150 cheaper than the CarbonTi ones. And I have a German bike, so decided to stay all German (even though I am Dutch ;-)
Seen the weight of the MCFK on a scale at R2bike.de
And I forgot, also installed a Newmen seatpost. Not very relevant perhaps, but the black/grey colourscheme fits nicely with my bike.

JayUK

by JayUK

Thanks for the reply :)

Have you found any suitable rims (other than mcfk)?

J.

rapsac

by rapsac

No, not yet. Newmen apparently advertised a disc road rim of 350g with 40mm depth. But they do not reply on my inquiry through their site. Image

rapsac

by rapsac

Note that I think I will get the Carbon-Ti SP hubs instead and return the Newmen hubs. They look and feel nice for the price, but the Carbon-Ti hubs on my Anthem X29 are even nicer. And lighter still, whilst proven.
DT 240s are a bit too heavy for my requirement for this bike. Do have them on another MTB and they are very good.

rapsac

by rapsac

These are also nice: https://www.schmolke-carbon.de/product/ ... -wheelset/
Available as rim only too.

JayUK

by JayUK

I've been advised against Carbon-Ti, plus I'm after Centrelock, and they are 6-bolt only.

So it's either DT Swiss or Newmen for me....

The Schmolke are nice, but slightly out of my price range (1400 for rims only, or +2000 for the wheelset and they are using hubs I'd like to avoid/6 bolt).

It will be interesting to hear/see about those Newmen rims you posted above...

J.

rapsac

by rapsac

What was the reason given regarding the Carbon-Ti's? In general they have very positive reviews, matching my own (n=1) experience. Not like Tune or Extralite, which seem more variable.
But the choice between centerlock/6-bolt is there. However, I have experience with the centerlock rotors from Shimano and 6-bolt rotors from other brands. No real problems there and lighter too. Currently looking at Trickstuff Dachle UL rotors.
If I get a reply from Newmen I will post it here.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

JayUK

by JayUK

My wheel builder has had one or two issues with them and suggested I avoid them (he has stopped utilising them).

I suppose everyone is different, some people highly recommend things others have issues.

Not that it matters, but when I checked on Carbon-Ti's website, I could not see listed a straight pull centrelock hub.

I'm after a hub for a road bike, Shimano only produce a rotor for the groupset in centrelock. I know potentially I could use a different rotor, but I'd rather keep everything matching/same product range.

Please keep me updated about Newmen :)

J.