Recomend me reliable 1000 - 1,100g tubs

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

nemeseri

by nemeseri

I'm thinking about switching back to tubs. The main advantage for me is weight and I had to realize that 200g weight saving isn't worth the hassle with gluing.

So please recommend me something that won't need continuous maintenance and still super light. It can be factory wheelset or hand built. I will use these wheels a lot. My weight is 126-132lbs (57-60 kg) and I don't need super stiff wheels. Obviously the stiffer, the better.

So far the bontrager aeolus xxx seems to be super light with no weight limit, but I found very few reviews. AX-Lightness, lightweight and other WW companies all have wheelsets in this category, but it would be great to hear first hand opinions on these for everyday use. Price is a secondary concern now, but I'd lie if I said it doesn't matter at all.

LionelB

by LionelB

Bora 35. Done.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

nemeseri

by nemeseri

LionelB wrote:Bora 35. Done.

The bora ultra 35 is 60g heavier than my goal. Sorry, I don't want to go over 1,100g.

Jhomewood

by Jhomewood

nemeseri wrote:

The bora ultra 35 is 60g heavier than my goal. Sorry, I don't want to go over 1,100g.

rip

shimmeD

by shimmeD

:up: applaud this person for being unwavering and sticking to important criteria.
:noidea: To meet your weight goal, would you swap out the front Bora for a Neutron or would that spoil aesthetics?
Less is more.

alcatraz

by alcatraz

Modern 38mm tub rims seem to me to have reached a higher level of perfection. The weight can be held very close to 300gr per rim which is very impressive. They are also toroida shaped which seems to be good for aero.

Use super spokes and hubs of your choice to build yourself a set close to 1000gr.

/a

LionelB

by LionelB

nemeseri wrote:

Sorry but this is ridiculous. BTW mine weighted 1120g IIRC.

Marin

by Marin

No it's not, he's a very light rider and he wants to meet a weight target.

Schmolke tubs: https://www.schmolke-carbon.de/product/ ... -wheelset/

910g

LionelB

by LionelB

"So please recommend me something that won't need continuous maintenance and still super light"

Good luck with 900g wheelset and that statement from the OP.

kulivontot

by kulivontot

I feel like that's not necessarily contradictory. Any sub-24mm carbon tub should build up to that weight pretty easily. Shallow depth wheels don't instantly explode the moment you ride them, they're just not trendy anymore.

RyanH

by RyanH

Budget option is a pair of second hand Reynolds Thirty Twos. They're between 1060g and 1080g with DT 240s hubs (swap the freehub for a 180 to save close to 20g). You should be able to get them for about $600 and they're rock solid. At 70kg I've taken mine on fire roads and all over LA without ever needing to true them.

A higher end option would be to lace Schmolkes to Carbon Ti hubs. Tonytourist put 5k on his combo without needing any maintenance so far. I think they come in a little over weight though as Denavelo's was 1010g with Mig 45/Mag 150. There's probably room to build them with Wheels Mfg (Alchemy) Elf/Orc or even White Industry hubs and still be under the 1100g ceiling.

One other benefit (or drawback) of the Reynolds though is that theyre 21mm wide so they should be mated with 22/23mm tubs. A pair of Veloflex Extremes will be 120g less than a pair of Roubaix so your system weight will be a lot less too.

jbaillie

by jbaillie

I think Ryan H has your best option if you don't want to spend a ton. Another possibility:

Enve SES 2.2 tubs
Laced to DT 180's: 1,087g
Laced to Enve CF: 1,028g

sawyer

by sawyer

I would either go ultra light such as the Schmolkes Marin suggested or AX ... or else accept the small penalty and buy Boras (if on campag) ... my Ones were 1190g

1100g is between two stools really ... aim for <950g!
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

kgt

by kgt

New or Used Lightweight Gipfelsturm.

1040gr, bombproof, top stiffness to weight, U profile rim, reliable hubs (DT swiss), no need to true them ever.

Check these out as well:
https://shop.lightweight.info/en/Certified,Pre,Owned/

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

I built myself a 1020g set using carbon Ti hubs and 300g tubular rims (carbon 38mm deep). No while I do dont like mid depth carbon clincher much at least the tubular version is very light.

So that is one option and it will be cheaper than the wheel mentioned above. Reliable wheel and they will feel great.