Recomend me reliable 1000 - 1,100g tubs

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

nemeseri

by nemeseri

Thank you. Wonderful options! I was shooting for this weight range to have a tad stiffer and more reliable set than a let's say 900g wheel set. I believe there should be a sweet spot for decent reliability between ridiculously light wheels and the 1,100g I set up as a limit.

Out of the light hub options, what's your experience with Enve CF, Tune (Mig 45/70 - Mag 150), Alchemy hubs, American Classic, Extralite, Carbon-ti? Other options? Obviously I'd prefer to lace DT Swiss 180s if weight permits.

Regarding rims: what's your favorite choice for something around 300g? Enve 2.2? Zipp 202? Schmolke?

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Forget dt swiss if you want the stiffest wheel. Carbon ti are the best light hubs really as they dont really have any compromises just a well balanced design. although i have never used alchemy hubs so i cant comment about these much apart from they bild i to a stiff wheel but you can get a set of bitex hubs that weigh no more do the same tricks and cost less. Carbon ti hubs are 224g nice and are simple and reliable.
Extralite are very light but they only have a 2 pawl freehub. I dislike tune hubs, bearing preload adjustment is fiddly and freehub removal is not easy. Ammerican classic hubs are not going to build into a stiff wheel and the freehub mechanism is not great. So go with carbon ti or extralite. To save money bitex.

As for rims there is nothing wrong with a chinese set. Schmolkes might be worth a look but the price premium is big for little or no gain. The rims i get are reliably 290g and they are quite robust, brake well and they come from the land of carbon fibre. I woukd not waste my money on enves and i cant find any real world difference between these and a good set of cheaoer chinese rims.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

go4custom

by go4custom

I'd take a look at the FSE.Bike 25t rims with carbon-ti hubs. These will probably be my next set. Talked to Jason and Fairwheel and Eric at Ergott and they have been very impressed by these. 262-268g range. Should meet your weight goal.

jbaillie

by jbaillie

With FarSports you could even go a touch deeper, they currently list their 30T set built with DT180's at bang-on 1,100g.

canoas

by canoas

CORIMA 32mm MCC S+ (carbon hubs with Ti skewers)
1100g

12K carbon weave, strong, stiff, reliable and rolls super.

Imaking20

by Imaking20

go4custom wrote:I'd take a look at the FSE.Bike 25t rims with carbon-ti hubs. These will probably be my next set. Talked to Jason and Fairwheel and Eric at Ergott and they have been very impressed by these. 262-268g range. Should meet your weight goal.

Samesies. Although, I've got no complaints about my Reynolds Thirty Twos - especially considering their affordability.

nemeseri

by nemeseri

canoas wrote:CORIMA 32mm MCC S+ (carbon hubs with Ti skewers)
1100g

Thanks! I just realized that corima sells rims too and with 290g I could use those to build a sub 1,000g set! Great recommendation!

canoas

by canoas

nemeseri wrote:
canoas wrote:CORIMA 32mm MCC S+ (carbon hubs with Ti skewers)
1100g

Thanks! I just realized that corima sells rims too and with 290g I could use those to build a sub 1,000g set! Great recommendation!

that's the great thing about Corima, they sell more rims than they do wheels! So you can build as you desire.

jinnie799

by jinnie799

Lightweight gifelsturm

muntos

by muntos

I have Bontrager Aeolus D3 3, very pleased with them and I weight around 80kg.

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

Aeolus XXX?
Using Tapatalk