Which Wheelset is better with Shimano C60 Clincher vs bora one 50 clincher

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

oraclesin

by oraclesin

shiC60.jpg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

MAsshole

by MAsshole

This is a Bora fan-club website.

I doubt you'll find many saying Shimano.

nemeseri

by nemeseri

I am really a shimano fan in general, but no way I'd buy the shimano c60. It has a pretty outdated narrow design and it's super heavy for the price. It's basically the old c50 with new stickers. On the other hand the bora one 50 is an amazing high-end clincher wheelset. The only thing that the shimano c60 is better at is probably braking (given the alloy brake track).

sawyer

by sawyer

Lots of Bora fans here because they are very high performance wheels in all dimensions, and along with that very good VFM.

Similarly there are lots of Di2 fans here ... it's not a Shimano/Campag thing

nemeseri is dead right. Shimano have missed a trick big time not releasing a genuine carbon clincher

Shimano high-end wheels (I don't count the C60 clincher in this category) are very good, but are absurdly overpriced. At least here in the UK the tubs are not far off 2x the cost the Boras, though admittedly the gap will no doubt narrow as supply of the new models increases
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

Asteroid

by Asteroid

Not sure these wheelsets are comparable. The Bora's are much lighter, but the C60's cost far less.
Another Shimano fan here, but, in this instance, go Bora. One thing is for sure: Shimano builds incredibly strong wheels.
Oldbie

hlvd

by hlvd

I love this cooking revolution!! Oh sorry, wrong Bora...

squid046

by squid046

From what I've read, The C60's the pros use are tubulars which are much lighter than the clinchers. I think these are boat anchors.

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

I went from Shimano C50's to the Bora 50's. I saved over 300 grams and the weight saving was felt instantly. The only thing I think it's better on the Shimano are the hubs. And the C50s are much stiffer, no doubt aided by the heavy rim. But the Boras are no noodles either due to the G3 lacing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Look595

by Look595

pdlpsher1 wrote:I went from Shimano C50's to the Bora 50's. I saved over 300 grams and the weight saving was felt instantly. The only thing I think it's better on the Shimano are the hubs. And the C50s are much stiffer, no doubt aided by the heavy rim. But the Boras are no noodles either due to the G3 lacing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have to agree on that the Bora 50's are better to me too, i am using Bora ONE 50 for almost 2 yrs now and have no complain regards to the wheel set. I am at 185lbs but i am on the Tub version instead of Clincher here.

apricotwalnut

by apricotwalnut

bora?? shimano is heavier even though it's stiff

morrisond

by morrisond

As others have said C50's are a lot stiffer - about 58nm in the rear vs 45 NM for the Bora's (Zipp's and Enve's are at about 35NM according to TOUR) so it kind of depends on how much you weigh and what you are doing.

If you are a big guy riding mainly on the Flats the C50's would probably be the better wheel - if you live in the mountains go for the BORA's.

I am a big Guy at 100+KG and have BORA Ultra 50mm Clinchers and had C50's. For sprinting I prefer my Fulcrum Zero Carbons which are about as stiff as the C50's.

Bora's are stiff they just don't feel as good as the Fulcrum's or C50's when you are putting the power down.

Decide how you like a wheel to feel and where you ride the most and that will give you the answer.

bilwit

by bilwit

C60 clinchers weigh a metric ton.

sawyer

by sawyer

The C50s that Morrisond speaks of are the older narrower rim efforts ...

The newer Shimano tub wheels are just coming on the market, are very wide (28mm), lighter, and should be superb

But they are more expensive than Boras, and I doubt will be any better
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

nemeseri

by nemeseri

sawyer wrote:The C50s that Morrisond speaks of are the older narrower rim efforts ...

The newer Shimano tub wheels are just coming on the market, are very wide (28mm), lighter, and should be superb

But they are more expensive than Boras, and I doubt will be any better

Sure, but the OP posted a picture of the C60 clinchers which are pretty much the same as the old C50s.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com