Latex inner tubes + alloy rims + Alps?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Ulver

by Ulver

I'll be in the Alps next week but have started using latex inner tubes (no mountains in the UK) this year. Are there any issues with rims heating and causing tubes to fail or is that carbon rim specific? I am a middling descender, not especially fast nor especially slow and weigh 64kg so not overly hard on brakes. Have some experience of Alps / Italian mountains / Tenerife so have done long, fast descents plenty of times before.

Bearing in mind the road surface is going to be pretty good should I just avoid any risk and swap in some butyl ones? I mean I do notice a small difference but it isn't a huge factor anyway.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

fromtrektocolnago

by fromtrektocolnago

I just came from the French Alps. Not the best descender myself. I rode with clinchers and there was no issue. Every rider in my group did the same. Heat dissipation wasn't an issue if that helps. Climbs were medium long but not super steep. Averages were 7-9% and nothing really harder than low double digits from what I did. I climbed steeper back home but of course not as long.
Colnago C-59 (Dura Ace)
Firefly(Ultegra)
Colnago C-64 disc(ultegra) with Bora 35 wheels

Ulver

by Ulver

fromtrektocolnago wrote:I just came from the French Alps. Not the best descender myself. I rode with clinchers and there was no issue. Every rider in my group did the same. Heat dissipation wasn't an issue if that helps. Climbs were medium long but not super steep. Averages were 7-9% and nothing really harder than low double digits from what I did. I climbed steeper back home but of course not as long.

Yeh reasonably familiar with the climbs, just not ridden them with latex tubes before. The previously linked thread is entirely inconclusive so think I'll just continue with the latex.. As long as I'm not riding the brakes on the Etape behind loads of nervous descenders then I guess should be okay. Weather forecast is around 20c so not too hot either. Assuming you meant you all rode with latex inner tubes?

fromtrektocolnago

by fromtrektocolnago

Bontrager Standard butyl rubber
Colnago C-59 (Dura Ace)
Firefly(Ultegra)
Colnago C-64 disc(ultegra) with Bora 35 wheels

Ulver

by Ulver

fromtrektocolnago wrote:Bontrager Standard butyl rubber

Gotcha, thanks for the input :thumbup:

cmcdonnell

by cmcdonnell

Never had problems with Latex tubes and alloy wheels. I've ridden in the French Alps loads of time on that combination and never gave it any thought. I don't use latex any more because I got fed up with the leakage and now run lightweight butyl but never had any failures using Michelin Aircomp. I also have no problems with my Bora carbon clinchers with butyl tubes in the Alps so maybe I'm just lucky.
Bianchi Oltre XR2 + Campagnolo Super Record 11 + Campagnolo Bora 50C
Litespeed T1 + Campagnolo Chorus 11 + Campagnolo Shamal Ultra

Ulver

by Ulver

cmcdonnell wrote:Never had problems with Latex tubes and alloy wheels. I've ridden in the French Alps loads of time on that combination and never gave it any thought. I don't use latex any more because I got fed up with the leakage and now run lightweight butyl but never had any failures using Michelin Aircomp. I also have no problems with my Bora carbon clinchers with butyl tubes in the Alps so maybe I'm just lucky.

Cheers for your input :thumbup: Good taste too!

TonyM

by TonyM

I used to ride in the Alps with latex tubes and clinchers alloy rims - no problem at all. 67.5 kg.

3Pio

by 3Pio

Im riding this period in Kefalonia, Greece.Very steep and long climbs (descent after) using Shamal Ultra and Latex Vittoria tubes.For example yesterday i climbed from the sea up to the top of the mountain on 1680 meters elevation, and then went down without any problems (8% up to 14% grades).I was also thinking to switch to butyl but ill stay on latex.Also temperatures here are around 30-40 deg so u definetely wont have problems in alps using latex.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com