Quiet, light hub needed.

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

eyedrop

by eyedrop

Light, Cheap, Strong. Pick two.

I pick light and cheap. Im only 105lbs.

I need a 700c Shimano compatible 11 speed rear hub that is 24h. I need the pawls to be quiet/near silent when coasting, similar to many Shimano hubs. I also need it as lightweight as possible.

They will be laced up to something like a Stans 340, and used as a set of ultra light climbing wheels for a 105lb 44kg rider. I ride mostly long days in the mountains and epic climbs with steep descents and tight corners. Lots of wind. Surrounding area is mostly rolling terrain, not much flat. Rough roads.

Cost isnt too much of an issue, but keep in mind Im not looking for anything exotic or ultra high end. But maybe Ultegra or Dura Ace level quality, something respectable. Something a bit higher end but still a good value for money.

I actually would just get a DA hub, but Ive had so many Shimano, I honestly just want to try something else. And Im sure there must be something better out there...

And while were at it, are there any dirt cheap, super light 20h front hubs out there for a super light rider? How about spokes? Any "chinese" Ti spokes that are as light as the expensive ones?

What hubs should I get? And what do you think of the overall direction of the build?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

Shimano DA hubs are known the be just about the quietest hubs out there. If you like them, stick with them. Since Shimano don't do a 20 hole DA hub, you could pair it with something fancier on the front wheel.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

my dt240 is pretty quiet.. compared to my extralite and CKs anyways
2024 BMC TeamMachine R Building
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL- getting aero look makeover
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault - completed project, full Xplr package

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

spdntrxi wrote:my dt240 is pretty quiet.. compared to my extralite and CKs anyways

I have had six different wheelsets with 240s hubs and have used them with 18, 36 and 54 tooth ratchets, using oil and the DT ratchet grease in them, and I wouldn't describe any of the hubs in any combination as being quiet. They are not loud (except the 54T ratchet - that's loud) like some other hubs but they are far louder to my ears than any of the Shimano hubs I have ridden.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

of all the wheels I ride/ridden normally...my DT240s are the quietest, but they are also on one of the shallower wheel set.

CK's on Enve 6.7
Extralite on Enve 4.5
Extralite on Enve 3.4
DT240 on Enve 2.2
Shimano 9000 on DA 24's
DT240 variants on Roval SLX
2024 BMC TeamMachine R Building
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL- getting aero look makeover
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault - completed project, full Xplr package

Marin

by Marin

You can get a Bitex Rar09 (192g, Sub-100$), and use heavier grease in the freehub.

At your weight the tiny bearings will still last a long time.

With the grease, it still won't be silent but it shouldn't be loud.

joejack951

by joejack951

Quietest rear hub I've used is American Classic. Light, strong enough for my 160-170 lbs., and cheap-ish compared to a DT 240 at least: http://www.outsideoutfitters.com/p-4363 ... rsQAvD_BwE

My Bitex BX106R is almost as noisy as my old Mavic rear hub. I wouldn't trust that heavier grease would both make it quiet yet allow the pawls to reliably engage in all weather.

alcatraz

by alcatraz

Forgive me for asking but why are you coasting so much? Just ride damn it :D

/a

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com