Wheels for a fat lad

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

merser

by merser

On the back of a suggestion in another section of this site, I'm posing my question here. I'm a bit of a newbie so please bear with...

My bike came with stock mavic askium wheels. Now I've thoroughly been bitten by the cycling bug, I want to upgrade my wheelset and am looking for suggestions please.

I'm a big guy at 6'4" and c. 109kg though that's dropping rapidly it's unlikely to go much sub 100kg as I require a certain level of bulk to play basketball which is my other athletic love!

I have been looking at all sorts of top and middle end wheels and the weight restrictions concerned me. Braking now hugely concerns me (with carbon rims) so I'm tempted to now err away from full carbon and go alloy or carbon/alloy mix.

I would definitely consider a custom built wheelset but as I don't have a strong cycling network I wouldn't know where to begin with finding a wheel builder etc. So anything people suggest on that front would be awesome too. I'm based in NW England.

Thanks in advance. Apologies if this is in the wrong section or has already been answered elsewhere.

Jamie

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Haydn

by Haydn

Like (in lieu of a facebookesque like button)

beanbiken

by beanbiken

Not so much a wheel suggestion but maybe with the inertia you would create you would be better suited to a disc brake ride?
BB

Coffee & carbon

merser

by merser

beanbiken wrote:Not so much a wheel suggestion but maybe with the inertia you would create you would be better suited to a disc brake ride?

Hi mate, Yeah perhaps, but that horse has bolted! I committed to a £2k bike (which was a huge ball ache trying to find something big enough) and there wasn't a disc option available. Maybe next time.

I have not experienced any issues stopping with the alloy wheels so I'm hoping I'll be ok on a carbon-alloy combo?

Jamie

beanbiken

by beanbiken

Yeah, fair call. I see in your other thread there have been some good suggestions. I'll let the experts give opinions on which particular WS is best suited to your needs. Good hunting

BB
BB

Coffee & carbon

Multebear

by Multebear

I'd say you need a wheelset with 32h/32h spokes. Maybe 32h/28h will do depending on which rim you choose.

Malcolm from https://thecycleclinic.co.uk is based i Suffolk according to his website, and he'll be able to build you a wheelset tailored to your specs, and ship it to you.

He's a user on this board as well. His username is bm0p700f.

My suggestion would be to aim for some of the sturdier alloy rims, like H+Son Archetype, Flo30, HED Belgium +, Kinlin XC-279 or similar. And get them build with good quality solid hubs, like Dura Ace or White Industries T11.

yinya

by yinya

I have good experiences with Noble Wheels. Around London. Probably a Boyd Altamont or Easton R90 SL rim on say a DT240 hub. The builder will be able to advise you.

sugarkane
in the industry

by sugarkane

yinya wrote:I have good experiences with Noble Wheels. Around London. Probably a Boyd Altamont or Easton R90 SL rim on say a DT240 hub. The builder will be able to advise you.

plus 1 dude give Jonny of Noble wheels a call he'll take care of you. I'd even look at dt350 hubs as your gona need a few extra spokes so the extra hub weight is neither hear nor there, get a 54t ring drive upgrade instead

plus 1 dude give Jonny of Noble wheels a call he'll take care of you. I'd even look at dt350 hubs as your gona need a few extra spokes so the extra hub weight is neither hear nor there, get a 54t ring drive upgrade instead

merser

by merser

Just had a look at noble wheels. Sounds awesome. I'll give him a ring on Monday. Thanks folks

Multebear

by Multebear

I'd advise against DT hubs with your weight. The free hub body is a poor design/poor choice of materials. The free hub body gets pretty easily gauged. Find some hubs with steel or titanium free hub body.

merser

by merser

Multebear wrote:I'd advise against DT hubs with your weight. The free hub body is a poor design/poor choice of materials. The free hub body gets pretty easily gauged. Find some hubs with steel or titanium free hub body.

Noted pal. Cheers.

I presume I'm going to pay plenty more for custom wheels versus off the shelf?

Multebear

by Multebear

Not plenty. Just a little more. But it'll also gives you the advantage of easily rim replacement, which will save you more than buying new wheels. If you wear down a factory made wheelset, you need to replace the whole wheelset in opposition to a hand build one, where every part is replaceable.

merser

by merser

Multebear wrote:Not plenty. Just a little more. But it'll also gives you the advantage of easily rim replacement, which will save you more than buying new wheels. If you wear down a factory made wheelset, you need to replace the whole wheelset in opposition to a hand build one, where every part is replaceable.

Sounds good mate. I've emailed noble. See what he says.

vejnemojnen

by vejnemojnen

or you can just buy factory zondas or sciroccos and forget about worrying.

WinterRider

by WinterRider

In your weight range custom wheels are the way to go. 32H is enough built correctly .. 36H rear I read recommended on some US sites starting at your weight range to meet their warranty requirements. Depends on your riding style .. roads .. tires used and at what pressure. 36's add precious little weight given the heavier rim your builder would employ .. safer route.

I have a couple 27H triplets out trialing .. one a 36 rim and the other a drilled 18H. Triplets depending on hub specs nearly equalize L-R spoke tension and do not require high R side tension to achieve a durable wheel. Sapim triple butted D-lights ideal.
Last edited by WinterRider on Sun Jun 25, 2017 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Litespeed 2000 Appalachian 61 cm
Litespeed 1998 Blue Ridge 61cm

Fitness rider.. 1 yr from seven decades age.

That is my story and I'm stick'n to it.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com