Mavic Road Tubeless

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Geoff

by Geoff

That's not good...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bremerradkurier

by bremerradkurier

Tubeless tape might be a good thing given the corrosive nature of some sealants.

MikeD

by MikeD

kulivontot wrote:Who else makes road UST tires?

Nobody. There are only a few mountain bike UST tires made. Once TLR tires and 29ers came out everyone dropped UST for their own proprietary designs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

cwdzoot
Shop Owner

by cwdzoot

Got to test the Mavic UST yesterday and it's pretty impressive. Mounts easily with a floor pump.

https://www.facebook.com/glory.cycles/videos/1356421984433804/
Instagram - stylish square bike pics
Flickr - over 20 million views for good reason
Facebook - friends get the good info & coupons first

EvilEuro

by EvilEuro

Jonathan Vaughters was on the NBCSN coverage of today's tour stage and quite vocally highlighted that his Cannondale team will be riding Mavic's new road tubeless wheels in tomorrow's time trial stage. I didn't catch all of the discussion, but this was definitely talked about and he spent some time highlighting what they felt the advantages are to using road tubeless for them.

Something to keep an eye out for during the stage.

jeffy

by jeffy

^ kindof intriguing. imagine if both Froome and Uran puncture, but only one has to stop and swap wheels...

bremerradkurier

by bremerradkurier

EvilEuro wrote:Jonathan Vaughters was on the NBCSN coverage of today's tour stage and quite vocally highlighted that his Cannondale team will be riding Mavic's new road tubeless wheels in tomorrow's time trial stage. I didn't catch all of the discussion, but this was definitely talked about and he spent some time highlighting what they felt the advantages are to using road tubeless for them.

Something to keep an eye out for during the stage.

Nothing really keeping pros on tubulars with removable valves from adding sealant...

ntb1001

by ntb1001

i like my Campagnolo Eurus tubeless

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

kulivontot

by kulivontot

High quality clinchers have less rolling resistance now. Not surprising. If you have a team car 100% of the time and don't have to worry about rolling downhill on a flat tire, why not?

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

I installed Zipp Tangente Speed RT25 tires on my ENVE SES 5.6 Disc wheels the other day. While there aren't Mavic Yksion tubeless tires officially, they're made by Hutchinson to pretty similar standards, so I'll make some initial comments.

1) Like Mavic, Zipp claims these tires mount easily with just the use of your hands. True! Even on my extremely wide 19/29mm wide rims, the job was very easy indeed.
2) The internal surface of the tires are super smooth compared to the current gold standard in tubeless road tires, the Schwalbe Pro Ones...
3) With how soft/pliable the tire is, the bead easily popped out of the center channel into the hooks with my high-pressure track pump without any special tricks.
4) Now some disappointment. Since the bead is smaller and very smooth, it didn't make the loud cracking noise I'm used to hearing when seating Pro Ones. Just the slightest pings at around 70psi. Because the initial seal isn't as tight as Pro Ones, the Zipp RT25s were hissing air everywhere, about 1psi every second until the tire reached 33psi where the hissing was no longer audible.
5) I tried two different tapes, Velocity Velotape (blue, thin, stretchy) and Stan's/Tesa. Both tapes did a poor job of sealing the tire without sealant. The Stan's tape caused a worse initial seal, I added sealant, inflated to 110psi and the tire was down to 30psi after 5 days. My Pro Ones would be more or less leakless after initial setup, maybe deflating down to 60psi in the same situation and after a few rides would lose maybe 3psi a day. The Velotape fairs better despite being thinner. With the velotape I add one layer of Stan's around the valve hole because when I use an awl to make a hole, it tears a little bit.
6) I added 40mL of Orange Seal to the Velotape set-up and I'm letting the wheel stew overnight. Hopefully it seals better within a couple days or it's back to Pro Ones and it's fat beads for me.

e: Just checked the set-up after a few hours and no major drop in pressure. Looking good.

DDX

by DDX

Received the Mavic Cosmic Pro Carbon SL UST wheelset today.
Weight:
front wheel 0.66kg
rear wheel 0.80kg

measured with park tool ds-1 and rim strip still on
compared to my old Cosmic Pro Carbon SL C (weighted without rim strip)

front wheel 0.62kg
rear wheel 0.79kg

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

the lack of seal has nothing to do with the cracking sound. lets dispell that. I have mounted tubeless tyres that dont make a loud cracking pop sound when they lock even though they lock in place securely without sealant.

Just because the pro one does it does not mean all tyres need to to get the same secure lock. The lack of sealing is because as you have noted there is a problem with the tyre/rim interface which maybe down to the small bead.

If the bead falls away from the rim with no air then i would go back to the pro one for all there faults they do mount the way a tubeless tyre should.

whosatthewheel

by whosatthewheel

I have a pair of XM819 rims, which are tubeless UST and use the FORE cups to pair with 14-16 mm nipples. No holes in the rim bed, which makes them nice to use without tape. Obviously they were too nice, hence Mavic no longer make them... the new ones are conventionally drilled, with all the downsides of having to tape the rim bet etc...

Such a shame the FORE idea didn't catch for handbuilts, I love being able to rebuild the wheel without even having to remove a tyre

rmr40

by rmr40

DDX wrote:Received the Mavic Cosmic Pro Carbon SL UST wheelset today.
Weight:
front wheel 0.66kg
rear wheel 0.80kg

measured with park tool ds-1 and rim strip still on
compared to my old Cosmic Pro Carbon SL C (weighted without rim strip)

front wheel 0.62kg
rear wheel 0.79kg

Received mine today - weighed as above = 1555g total for both wheels[emoji848]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com