Mavic Road Tubeless

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Geoff

by Geoff

I thought you guys might find this interesting: http://www.velonews.com/2017/06/bikes-a ... ess_441191

If I recall, Mavic toyed with the idea of tubeless across the range, but elected not to proceed as it was not happy with the options. While another new 'standard' is not great, I may have to add one to my test group...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Thenuge

by Thenuge

They have so many wheels it's very confusing.

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

I'm intrigued, but being locked into one tire manufacturer makes it a hard pill to swallow. The lack of sealant (and accompanying mess) is a definite plus!

kode54

by kode54

didn't mavic buy Enve for their technology?
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

moonoi

by moonoi

No, Mavics Finnish parent company, Amer Sports, bought Enve. Only part of their operations are merged and it's not to do with technology as both maintain separate R&D divisions, it's just the sales/customer service side that they've consolidated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EvilEuro

by EvilEuro

FIJIGabe wrote:I'm intrigued, but being locked into one tire manufacturer makes it a hard pill to swallow. The lack of sealant (and accompanying mess) is a definite plus!

I brought this up in a reply to you in another thread, but it's applicable here as well.

The VeloNews article mentions that both the Mavic wheelsets and tyres are UST tubeless. I take that to mean that they conform to the UST standard, which would cover the tyre bead and the bead-to-rim interface. I also take that to mean that any UST tyre will work with the wheels, otherwise they aren't UST. After all, the U in UST stands for Universal.

My interpretation is that Mavic is saying that their Yksion tyres are designed to work with the rim, much like they say that with all of their other wheelsets and tyres in their "wheel tyre system" parlance. Kudos if it's easier to mount, but I haven't exactly had too much difficulty with any of the UST tyres I have used on my Shamals.

I will be very interested if someone gets these wheels and tries them out with non-Mavic tyres. If anyone knows of a dealer in the Los Angeles area carrying them I'll even be happy to take a set of spare tyres over, try to mount them, and report back my findings. It'll be as simple as "they mount, pop, and seal to the rim" or they don't.

jeffy

by jeffy

EvilEuro wrote:
FIJIGabe wrote:If anyone knows of a dealer in the Los Angeles area carrying them I'll even be happy to take a set of spare tyres over, try to mount them, and report back my findings. It'll be as simple as "they mount, pop, and seal to the rim" or they don't.

To be fair, it is "mounts as easily as Mavic tyres" ... i have heard all to often X tyre with Y rim mounts (and removes) easily - to find that in my case it is far from easy.

As far as I know Hutchinson Road are UST, but i don't know which others are. Being stuck with Mavic tyres is a deal breaker for me, but it is early days and with a bit of choice i could easily be tempted...... Wonder if the new Open Pro rims are UST ?

EvilEuro

by EvilEuro

I believe the easiest indicator in the past (for me) has been that UST tyres are most often labeled as just "tubeless" and others are labeled as "tubeless ready". For example, Maxxis offers a UST version of the Padrone (labeled as just "Padrone") and another which is tubeless ready (labeled the Padrone TR).

To my knowledge Hutchinson, Maxxis, IRC, Panaracer (if you can find them), and IRC all make UST tubeless tyres. I have used all but the Panaracer in the past and like the IRC Formula Pro RBCC best by a wide margin. They're a bit tougher to mount than the Hutchinson or the Schwalbe, but nothing too difficult that couldn't be worked out with a Pedro's tyre lever.

AJS914

by AJS914

The article says:

The Kevlar bead has more pliability than a stiffer carbon bead. This should allow most of us to work the tire on and off the rim by hand.

To me it looks like the deep center section is what would make it easy to mount / unmount tires.

Geoff

by Geoff

ok, this is a better description of the System, together with a dimensioned drawing: http://www.bikeradar.com/road/news/arti ... ims-50212/

Comete Pro Carbon in tubeless? That will be an interesting test mule...

EvilEuro

by EvilEuro

Geoff wrote:ok, this is a better description of the System, together with a dimensioned drawing: http://www.bikeradar.com/road/news/arti ... ims-50212/

There is someone from Mavic replying in the comments section of the Bike Radar article and he provides the definitive answer on whether one must use only Mavic tubeless tyres with these wheels.

The short answer is "no". You can use any UST tubeless tyre with the Mavic wheels.

The long answer is that while you can use another company's UST tubeless tyre, Mavic is guaranteeing certain tolerances with their tyres and thus the quality of the interface between tyre and rim on their "system". That's why they are able to say that their tyres can mount X percent easier, etc.

To summarize:

- The wheels/rims meet the UST standard.
- You are not restricted to using only Mavic tyres with the wheels, but Mavic does make guarantees about the quality of interface and ease of mounting when using their tyres.
- You can use any UST tubeless tyre with them (though you may find some more or less easy to mount than others). Mounting results may vary.

Were I to purchase a disc frameset these would actually be my theoretical ideal as I would love a carbon wheelset that I could use tubeless without rim tape. Corima made a tubeless version in the past, but I don't know if they do anymore. Other than that there's just the Easton Aero 55's to my knowledge, and now the Mavics. I'd feel comfortable riding carbon tubeless since I wouldn't have to worry about braketrack delamination. I would be far more hesitant to do so with the rim brake version.

Now we wait for actual ride reviews.

kulivontot

by kulivontot

Who else makes road UST tires?

EvilEuro

by EvilEuro

kulivontot wrote:Who else makes road UST tires?

Off the top of my head: Hutchinson, IRC, Schwalbe, Maxxis (specficially the Padrone, not the Padrone TR), and Panaracer.

Geoff

by Geoff

Here is a video on the Mavic system: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALVtgcY1YeM

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

EvilEuro

by EvilEuro

Sadly, my previous assumption, based on what I was reading in various articles during the press release launch, were incorrect so far as carbon tubeless is concerned.

James Huang was asked over at Cycling Tips if all of the rims were completely sealed or if you would be required to run tubeless tape with the wheels. His answer was some are sealed, but carbon are not. Booo!

Higher-end aluminum wheelsets use the FORE drilling process that leaves the outer rim walls intact, so those are inherently airtight. Everything else will need tape, though.

Will be interesting once folks get them in-hand to see the rim beds. The GCN video didn't show any of the carbon wheels without a tire mounted to them.