Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Blog NEW Galleries NEW FAQ Contact About Impressum
It is currently Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:58 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:08 pm 

I've a second hand 2014 Canyon Ultimate SLX that came with Campagnolo Zonda wheels. From looking at the parts catalogue on the Campag website in 2014 they could be 2 way fit. I'd like to run them tubeless, but how can I work out if they are 2 way fit or not? I can't see an obvious part number on them.

Posted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:08 pm 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:59 pm 

2-way-fits have a pronounced lip ridge for tubeless beads. Apparently the actual rim extrusion is different. Unsure if the normal rim has the ridge or is smooth.

Have also seen comments where people mention small holes drilled in the rim opposite the valve

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:13 am 
Shop Owner / Manufacturer

icenutter wrote:
I've a second hand 2014 Canyon Ultimate SLX that came with Campagnolo Zonda wheels. From looking at the parts catalogue on the Campag website in 2014 they could be 2 way fit. I'd like to run them tubeless, but how can I work out if they are 2 way fit or not? I can't see an obvious part number on them.

Look for a small white decal with a QR code on the right and three codes down the left. The middle code will start WHxx- where the xx gives the design year (so a WH15- wheel is of a design launched in model year 2015).

The second part of the code defines the wheels - so WH17-ZOCFR is the 2017 Zonda, Clincher, Front and Rear (defines the wheel as having been sold as part of a pair). If there is an "X" on the end, it denotes that the pair was originally made & sold by Campagnolo with a Shimano cassette body fitted (bearing in mind that retailers & wholesalers swap these around all the time to keep stock in balance) ...

A two-way fit wheel code would have a "2" after the model identifier, rather than a "C" - so WH15-ZO2FR would be a 2015 design pair of Zonda 2WFs ...

Wheels sold from the factory as individual units (a front only or a rear only) follow the same pattern.

2WF wheels are also labelled as such on the rim sidewall as part of the branding.

If there are no decals on the rim at all, you can look at the rim bed - 2WF wheels have a very pronounced channel in the extrusion around the centre line of the rim bed, to make it easier to get normal clinchers into the slightly differently-shaped sidewall / hook / well that secure fitting of a tubeless tyre requires under the ETRTO standard. You can actually see that if you put the rim sections given in the Campagnolo spares catalogues alongside each other.

It's not a 100% indicator but in most non-2WF rims, you should find a small drilling somewhere in the rim bed, too, so that even if a tubeless tyre is fitted, the rim / tyre combination won't be airtight. This drilling for some reason isn't always there so it's not a solid indicator - the channel is, however.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 5:32 pm 

Awesome! I couldn't find the part number or a QR code anywhere. But I did find the tiny hole you refer to, and after comparing my rim to the one in the parts catalogue again, I can conclude that I have a normal rim.

Thanks for your help.