removing tubs and removing carbon weave - Bora

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

mrgray

by mrgray

hi
what have i done wrong if i've managed to rip up carbon when i've removed the tub or is this just what happens over time?

what do i do know? is there something i can put on the rim to try and protect the further carbon layers from further removal?

thanks
Bobo S&S Steel Bike - 7.5 kg
Oltre XR2- 6.6 kg
Look 585 - 6.8 kg
Look 695 SR :D

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

tomycs

by tomycs

if it's only a small amount I wouldn't worry, but you can always send a pic to Campa and ask. it can happen. going forward best to use a technique that only lifts the tub a little at a time. I deflate the tyre and use a flat tyre lever under the tub and rock it left right, push forward. it's a slow pace thing (maybe 7 mins all in all).

beanbiken

by beanbiken

Images?........
BB

Coffee & carbon

sungod

by sungod

as above, check with campag

for protection you could try a (thin thin thin) layer of epoxy but i would only do it on the affected area(s)

it's available in small quantities, for instance...
http://easycomposites.co.uk/#!/resin-ge ... poxy-resin

when removing, ease it off, and go sideways rather than pulling the tub straight up from the rim

mrgray

by mrgray

here is a section of rim where it has happened

see the material on the tub

i was pretty cavalier in how i removed it and did, after getting a foot or so free of rim, do the old pull up thing.

these are older boras (ultra 2). i recall my newer 2015 bora one's (since sold) had a lovely smooth rim finish and i'm sure this wouldn't happen on them.

thanks for the epoxy tip.
Bobo S&S Steel Bike - 7.5 kg
Oltre XR2- 6.6 kg
Look 585 - 6.8 kg
Look 695 SR :D

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

In think the new and old Boras have pretty much the same finish and the same potential for damage if you just yank away at the tire. And you already know what you did wrong... just ripping it off in a hurry. It generally takes me about 15 minutes to remove a properly glued Tubular. Start by working something between the rim and tire then slowly wiggling it back and forth around the rim until you've broken the bond the whole way round. But now that you've removed some carbon I'd just cover the affected area with a thin layer of epoxy as mentioned to prevent any further damage and see how that goes.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

RyanH

by RyanH

That's concerning. I've removed dozens of tires off Reynolds wheels without ever thinking twice about if I needed to be gentle. On the 77 composites wheels, I cut the tire and went to peel it off which took carbon with it. Are you suggesting that the Boras may do the same?

1415chris

by 1415chris

Had similar delamination on crap chinease rims, but I wouldn't expect it from such a brand.

Cannot imagine it happening on Zipp rims, at least on those I was dealing with.
I'm curious what Campa could say about it.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

It can happen on any carbon rim that uses carbon layups. What Campy says about it is to use the method I describe above and specifically points out NOT to just yank a tubular from a carbon rim. That is advice that should be heeded for any carbon tubular.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

1415chris

by 1415chris

And for that reason I wouldn't go for Campy rims. Thank you very much for faffing around for 15min removing tubular and wetting the pants the same time thinking, that I may pill off the carbon layup from my precious wheels.
And you are wrong, there are much sturder and better, in that respsct rims, you don't have to perform any woodoo, just simply pill the tub off the rim.
And I'm astonished that instead off simply saying that there is an quality issue, which is quite obviouse to me, you are trying to sell the idea that this is normal and applicable to all carbon rims.

Denavelo

by Denavelo

yanking a tubular tires from a wheel will result in pulling up the carbon.
Wiggle it from side to side. I don't even think of the carbon in that moment, I'm thinking more about the base tape.
Pulling straight up is a no-no in my book... Just asking for it.
Light coats of glue is the key... Mastik in 2 light coats is all you need!
Rob English "Mudfoot" 29er | Focus Izalco Max | Firefly #194 Stainless XCR | Firefly #277 | Neilpryde Bura SL 11.9 | Crust Evasion Lite

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Also a good point made by @Denavelo... if the tubular can be reused, you want to make sure you don't separate the base tape from the tire itself. Get something underneath, wiggle side to side to break the bond all the way round. Just good practice no matter what wheel/tire you are using. Otherwise... well... you know, maybe ok, maybe not. Why chance it.