lightweight tubeless rims

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

dtwolfen

by dtwolfen

Any suggestions for a lightweight tubeless rim 24 and 28 hole preferred? Probably set up with a 25 to 28mm tire. Building a climbing wheelset on a disc bike. Would love to find something around 300 grams but haven't found individual rims like that. Seems like 77cycling might be the rim but can't find them for sale in the states. Maybe it just does not exist but thought I would ask.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

I dont think that rim exists. clincher/tubeless rims are generally over 400g for carbon or alloy. Stans alpha 340 are the lightest at 385g. the ryde pusle sprint is not tubeless compatiable so ignore those.

search for a rim that exists and you will find it.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kulivontot

by kulivontot

Fairwheel says these are tubeless compatible FYI

dtwolfen

by dtwolfen

This is great I had never heard of these and definitely take a look.
Thanks David

Marin

by Marin

Pulse Sprint have a weight limit though IIRC

ergott

by ergott

Lightweight and tubeless shouldn't go together for alloy rims. I've has Pulse Sprints come back with spoke hole cracks. An even more widespread issue is big tension drops with tire mounted. Rear wheels in particular lose dish and become less durable as the left side tension is too low to support the loads. If you jack up the tension you crack the rim holes. The Alpha rim can have tire blowoff issues as documented in other threads here. I had to replace/rebuild a set of wheels for a customer that had this problem and ended up losing money all told so I don't build with them anymore. The bead hook is way too small to hold tire reliably in place and some tires have larger beads than others.

I'd recommend staying in the mid 400g range for a reliable wheelset.

kulivontot

by kulivontot

Are these issues mitigated in any way with triplet lacing? Am classic and Stan's use this for their tubeless wheels.
I also imagine just upping the spoke count could also be useful.

ergott

by ergott

So you up the spoke count and then the wheels weigh the same as with other rim choice (heavier with lower spoke count) and you lose any aero advantage.

I know other builder's that have built a few AC rims and stopped. You just can't get around the properties of the material. You need enough metal to insure the wheels are stiff enough and the rims will resist a big tension drop when the tire snaps into place.

The lightest production tubeless rim I've built so far has been the Boyd Altamont Lite. They are routinely around 440g and are tubeless ready. Those rims and some Carbon-Ti hubs gives you a pretty solid set of wheels that are in the sub 1400g range easily.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

No the pulse sprint's are not tubeless compatible. I have tried mounting tubeless tyres to them and it was a battle then the tyre would not inflate. Then it was a battle removing it. Tried with a schwable. I do know what i am writing. I define tubeless compatible as setup is easy like it is with kinlin rims which are the best actually. Setting tubeless tyres on the rydes is a risk as many customer will fail and if they suceed they will fail at removing the tyre. I have even tried fitting hutchinson tyres for a customer to these and i could not mount it. I am pretty good at fitting tyres so it is not me that is the problem here.

I have had the same issue with ryde mtb rims. Both geax and irc tubeless are impossible to mount. The same tyres mount on velocity blunt rims easily and proceed to inflate and seal. Again conti mtb tyres mount well enough and can be used tubless which is a good thing as i would not get a tube in easily.

So fairwheel are flat wrong it is not easy.

Ergots points are fine but i have built with few pulse sprints. I advise people to fit the conti gp 4000s as that tyre actually mounts if thin tubeless tape is used. None have cracked but it think the practical tension limit is 1150N and weight limit of 80kg and avoid tubeless tyres. Rydes claims are optimistic. Maybe that is how i have avoided cracks so far but with all these caveats i dont sell many.

Also all rims move to the ds when a tubeless tyre is fitted. Kinlins do this so do pacentis and other rims. in fact all rims that are tubeless compatible. By that i mean where the tyre is a tight fit because if it is not, it is not tubeless compatible, as you have hassle getting the tyre to seal. The bigger the tension drop the bigger the movement to the ds. I work on about 0.5mm at least of movement to the ds when a tubeless tyre is fitted. It normally works out as 1/4 turn to the nds spokes to correct the dish.

kulivontot

by kulivontot

Can anyone ping @madcow for a statement here?

Counter point: ksyrium rims are around 390g low spoke count and probably one of the most common wheelsets sold. Granted they are not tubeless compatible and i think they get away with that by upping the spoke tension significantly by using threaded spoke nipples. Now i am not a fan of these for a myriad of other reasons, just pointing out that sub 400g rims do not all spontaneously combust.

ergott

by ergott

I have personally mounted Schwalbe One tires to both Sprint and Comp Pulse rims. I have a set sitting in my garange as we speek.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Last edited by ergott on Tue May 23, 2017 1:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

dtwolfen

by dtwolfen

I have had tough fitting tires. Continental grand prix on stans iron cross rims, usually took three tubes to not pinch flat but I don't mind them as long as it eventually works. Interesting about the change in spoke tension, I don't think I've noticed a change but .5 is hard to see.

StradaJon
in the industry

by StradaJon

Ryde rims - it may depend on which batch you received each. Some were extruded and finished in the Netherlands and others in Czech. Netherlands were ok, Czech were poor quality. We gave up on them.
Strada Hand Built Wheels
http://www.stradawheels.co.uk

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Well a variable rim is not a good one and would explain differing experiences. The comps where impossible to get tyres on. I found it a struggle.

Glad some had better luck but i cant pick rims based on country of manufacture when buying. It is shame as they are a decent rim otherwise.

Now the uk distributor only has 32h drilling for the sprints so even they hsve given up.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com