Fake Lightweight Meilenstein wheels - do they exist?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

mike001100

by mike001100

Hi,

I am about to purchase a used set of Meilensteins, just wondering, do fakes exist? Couldn't find anything on Ali or similar...

Looks like I am getting a good deal, but I'd prefer to play it safe... anything I can do to assess if they are genuine? I understand there is some code on the rim, I'm buying tubulars with tubs glued on, and I don't really want (or can at the point of sale) to remove them...

Thanks.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

sungod

by sungod

don't recall hearing of any, i'd think it'd be tough to replicate the construction well enough to really match the look, and once known word would spread, which'd limit return on the effort, but i guess it's possible

things to try...

you can weigh them, subtract the weight of the tubs and see if the result looks right

there's an embedded rfid chip holding the serial number, but you'd need the correct reader to check it

if you can inspect them before buying, look closely at details like the spokes, how they merge with the rim, the hub and surrounding area

with tubs inflated to max, straddle the wheel and with both hands put your weight on it, there should be no real 'give' beyond what comes from the tyres

if you're concerned, get some photos and post them here, full side-on view, plus close ups of rim and hub area

kgt

by kgt

It's really difficult to replicate the construction of LW wheels. Ask for the online warranty, or the manual or the chip number, anything that proves its origin.