Which wheels for training

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

JScycle

by JScycle

Hi,
To get increased resistance on my group rides (allows training improvement whilst still staying with the group) is it better to use my 50mm 2006ish Mavic Cosmic Carbon (1800-1900g) with 23mm slower tyres or use my shallow alloy wheelset with 25mm faster tyres (1580g).
Sorry if this is a weird question, just wondering.
Thanks

kulivontot

by kulivontot

Just go faster or try one of these. https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2017/01/air ... tance.html
Unless you're basically soft pedaling I don't think that choosing a crappy wheel for training makes sense. Just take more turns at the front or light it up for sprints and climbs.
I'd say pick a wheel that is inexpensive to wear out but still close enough to your race rig.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Multebear

by Multebear

Shimano RS 11. Cheapest and heavy. Makes for good training and cheap miles.

eyedrop

by eyedrop

I find alot of group rides can be erratic, making for an unpredictable and random workout. Its far better to go out alone and ride to power. Set zones, etc... If you wanna ride group rides, I suggest doing the long easy miles with them. Great way to pass the time and put in the miles.

I dont think training with heavier wheels and tires will make you faster or train better. Watts are watts, no matter what bike your on. But if you insist, try putting on the crappiest tires possible, and use one of those heavy tire liners. That should slow you down quite a bit. Wheel weight isnt gonna be a huge factor unless you at something ridiculous like 2200g+..

As far as wheels go, you dont want something dirt cheap. You can get durable and light at the same time. I run the Shimano RS81 wheels. They are raceworthy and great for training as well... I got them new for about $500. If that is too much, the RS11 is a great wheelset for under $200. But its quite heavy and just not as enjoyable to ride.

Multebear

by Multebear

If you're doing group rides with the same group of guys all the time, you will get better training with heavier wheels, since you'll have to increase your effort to keep up. If you train by yourself with PM, then watts are watts, and you'll just ride a tad faster with better wheels. I train with heavy wheels, tires and tube protector in order to get as many extra watts as I can find. That way I always reach my breaking point in bunch rides, if that's what the training requires that certain day.

Enjoyable? I don't feel the difference between my top carbon racing wheels, with latex tubes and conti GP 4k tires, vs. my deep winter crap wheels, with Durano plus tires, butyl tubes and tube protector. I just go slower, that's all. And if it's training, then who cares. It never gets easier, you just go faster (or slower).

JScycle

by JScycle

eyedrop wrote:I find alot of group rides can be erratic, making for an unpredictable and random workout. Its far better to go out alone and ride to power. Set zones, etc... If you wanna ride group rides, I suggest doing the long easy miles with them. Great way to pass the time and put in the miles.

I dont think training with heavier wheels and tires will make you faster or train better. Watts are watts, no matter what bike your on. But if you insist, try putting on the crappiest tires possible, and use one of those heavy tire liners. That should slow you down quite a bit. Wheel weight isnt gonna be a huge factor unless you at something ridiculous like 2200g+..

As far as wheels go, you dont want something dirt cheap. You can get durable and light at the same time. I run the Shimano RS81 wheels. They are raceworthy and great for training as well... I got them new for about $500. If that is too much, the RS11 is a great wheelset for under $200. But its quite heavy and just not as enjoyable to ride.

I agree with you about the erratic nature etc. I would like to do more solo rides on weekends but group rides are my motivation to get out early on the weekdays before school. I am looking into getting a power meter which means I should also do more solo rides to make it more beneficial.

JScycle

by JScycle

Multebear wrote:If you're doing group rides with the same group of guys all the time, you will get better training with heavier wheels, since you'll have to increase your effort to keep up. If you train by yourself with PM, then watts are watts, and you'll just ride a tad faster with better wheels. I train with heavy wheels, tires and tube protector in order to get as many extra watts as I can find. That way I always reach my breaking point in bunch rides, if that's what the training requires that certain day.

Enjoyable? I don't feel the difference between my top carbon racing wheels, with latex tubes and conti GP 4k tires, vs. my deep winter crap wheels, with Durano plus tires, butyl tubes and tube protector. I just go slower, that's all. And if it's training, then who cares. It never gets easier, you just go faster (or slower).

Yes I am doing group rides with the same guys all of the time. Would heavy aero wheels that flex a lot be good for group rides to slow me down? Im hoping the aero won't give any advantage in a bunch. I would also pair them with slower tyres

Multebear

by Multebear

No. Aero wheels would not be good training. They will be fast, and that's not going to help you to train harder. Weight and flex is not going to slow you significantly down.

Lieblingsleguan

by Lieblingsleguan

Tires can make a big difference, wheels probably not. Use something like Schwalbe Marathon plus, they'll slow you down significantly.

Also, if you do not train in an entirely flat area: go up the hills fast, descend to the last guy of the group and ride up the hill a second time from there.

chefczyk

by chefczyk

life is too short to not ride on cool-looking wheels

kode54

by kode54

if you want to go faster...don't have a PM or funds to get faster wheels...ride with guys in a group that is faster. i find that if i ride alone...i really don't get any faster. yeah...more saddle time but not killing myself to stay with the guys.

some riders have training wheels. i don't. its whatever wheels are on that bike. that's what i ride. i may change bikes depending on the group.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

Multebear

by Multebear

chefczyk wrote:life is too short to not ride on cool-looking wheels

Depends on how much you ride and what you're training for. If you're only a weekend warrior, then I agree. But if you put serious milage into our gear, then you'll quickly run out of funds.

JScycle

by JScycle

congbabtong wrote:oooo

What was that for?

Daveaero

by Daveaero

chefczyk wrote:
Thu May 18, 2017 2:36 pm
life is too short to not ride on cool-looking wheels
Unless your training to be faster on cool-looking wheels.

Alexbn921

by Alexbn921

I only have 1 set of wheels. I do everything on them. I expect them to last for 10+ years with only new bearings and disks. DT Swiss erc disk. I wouldn't spend my money on non durable race day only parts, expect maybe tires.
I'm very tall, heavy for a cyclist and make lost of power. Light duty stuff disintegrates under me.
Ride fast Take chances

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com