Bora : issues with cassette body, again...

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Delorre

by Delorre

The last few years, i've had 2 completely destroyed bearings in the cassette body (both Shamal Ultra wheels) and 1 retaining clip that failed on my Racing Zero Nite's. The 8 or 10 years before, 0,0 issues with campa wheels. Last year, although a little reluctant, I bought a set of Bora One wheels. Apart from 1 routine regreasing of both hubs, I've had no issues with these wheels in around 15.000km's. But lately, the rear wheel started to make a strange noise when pedalling (not when free wheeling). Took the rear wheel apart this afternoon, and bingo :evil: , the bearing from the freehub is completely dry. Ok, It has not failed yet as the 2 others from my Shamals, but Im sure it won't take long before it happens.

Is there a way to remove / replace the bearings (part looks like FH-BUU004), or is it possible to remove the seals and repack the bearing with grease as you see in some vodeo's from Ceramic Speed. But to do so, I've also to remove both bearings. Is this easy? When those faillures happend in the past, I've always managed to find a new or barely used complete cassette body on secound hand sites and will do the same this time if no other choise.

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

Are you talking about the sealed bearing on the end of the freehub? I have the same wheel and I'd like to know how to service the sealed bearing. How do you know the sealed bearing has no grease!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Attermann

by Attermann

just knock the outer one out, the inner one has a lockring, and then just replace them, it's quite easy

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

There's sometimes a buggy.
How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

Delorre

by Delorre

pdlpsher1 wrote:Are you talking about the sealed bearing on the end of the freehub? I have the same wheel and I'd like to know how to service the sealed bearing. How do you know the sealed bearing has no grease!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, I'm talking about that one. As I've not knocked out the bearing yey, I can't tell for sure, but the bearing runs raw and raspy, just like a dirty bearing without grease.

Delorre

by Delorre

bikerjulio wrote:some details here on how to do it http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=12807001

Thx!! That's what I was looking for. Will give it a try!

Delorre

by Delorre

Update : took the cassette body apart, gently knocked the outer bearing out, and it turned out what I though : complete dirty, dried out grease, and already some play in the bearing. Not having an other bearing at hand, I removed the only seal, cleaned the bearing in degreaser, and after good rincing and driying (in the oven for 1 hour), repacked the bearing with white grease. Better, but still not really great, as the bearing was still a little gritty. Currently I had no other choise than putting everything back together. The end result is beter than what it was, but will look at some replacement cassette body. I suspect the inner bearing is also not in great shape anymore, so for the cost of 2 bearings, I can probably find a whole body on secound hand sites, and not have the hassle to remove the inner bearing.

Attermann

by Attermann

The replacement may have the same problem as the first one, new bearings are like 8 euros

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

metalplease

by metalplease

Attermann - good advice...Delorre, go for new.