Climbing wheelset

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

zev

by zev

Anyone used the AX lightness 790g set?

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

steel515 wrote:
marshalus wrote:hi

for half the price of Zero's or mavic you can get new Zonda C17. The weight penalty vs zero is ca. 100 gram but Zonda has one big advantage over Zero's or shamal: thin steel spokes vs. fat alu spokes. I bought mine 1 month ago, 1530 gram (campa rotor) and I never look back.

How does Zonda c17 compare to newer ksyrium,eurus/shamal?

Eurus and Shamal is essentially same as Zonda. Their are a bit lighter due to aluminum spokes (poor choice when it comes to longevity and far from being complaint).
Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

:arrow: CBA = Chronic Bike Addiction
:arrow: OCD = Obsessive Cycling Disorder

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

sawyer

by sawyer

mpulsiv wrote:
steel515 wrote:
marshalus wrote:hi

for half the price of Zero's or mavic you can get new Zonda C17. The weight penalty vs zero is ca. 100 gram but Zonda has one big advantage over Zero's or shamal: thin steel spokes vs. fat alu spokes. I bought mine 1 month ago, 1530 gram (campa rotor) and I never look back.

How does Zonda c17 compare to newer ksyrium,eurus/shamal?

Eurus and Shamal is essentially same as Zonda. Their are a bit lighter due to aluminum spokes (poor choice when it comes to longevity and far from being complaint).

The difference in the spokes and rims results in a quite different feeling wheel. I've owned 5 sets of those three wheels (1 set shamals, 2 of the others) over the past 15 years.

In summary the Zonda is a bit comfier but a bit less snappy.

OP - I think all your choices will be fine. I agree generally with the advice to avoid bit alu spokes, but they do give a nice reactive feeling wheel if you like that
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

robertbb

by robertbb

sawyer wrote:
The difference in the spokes and rims results in a quite different feeling wheel. I've owned 5 sets of those three wheels (1 set shamals, 2 of the others) over the past 15 years.

In summary the Zonda is a bit comfier but a bit less snappy.

OP - I think all your choices will be fine. I agree generally with the advice to avoid bit alu spokes, but they do give a nice reactive feeling wheel if you like that

I second sawyer's comment. I own both the Shamal C17 and Zonda C17 and have a few thousand k's under each now. Both are excellent. The shamals are about 60g lighter and are much, much stiffer - very noticable climbing or sprinting. I honestly can't tell the difference between them comfort wise - I run 23mm Conti GP4000s2 on bkth sets, which inflate to 25mm at 90psi. Neither are particularly good in the wind... if that matters. Braking on both is great, but again the Shamals seem to have the edge. I think this is a great two pairs of wheels to have - Zonda c17 for my indoor training and poor weather mile munching, and Shamal C17 for centuries or rides with lots of climbing/descending. I don't regret staying away from the Shamal Mille's - with this setup Ican use the same pads with both.