Advice for wheel upgrade

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

FCVRider

by FCVRider

I've done a bit of research and have things...somewhat narrowed down.

I'm Cat 3/4 rider, mostly crit/RR, not a whole lot of climbing in my area, mostly flat - but can be windy. Current wheelset Shimano RS330, so almost anything would be a good upgrade. Bike is BMC TMR01. Looking for clincher.
Max budget ~1500 cdn, but would like to spend less if possible..

Looking at the following options

FSE EVO 45's
Yoeleo or Far Sports 50mm w/ DT240's
Fletchtwerk 45 (Waiting on restock..)
Campy Zonda or Shamal
Fulcrum Racing Quattro

Thanks,

KarlC

by KarlC

I have a BMC TMR01 also, it was a dealer demo, instead of buying new wheels I bought like new used wheels.

So far I have tried .....
Zipp 404 Firecrest - I paid $500 for the set with good Tires
Reynolds 58 / 72 Aero - I paid $750 for the set with good Tires

Rating these 2 sets for wheels I would go with the Reynolds hands down in every way above the Zipp 404. The only thing I dont like about the Reynolds 58 / 72 Aero wheels is they give a harsher ride, so I have lowered my air pressure 5-10 PSI to compensate. The BMC TMR01 rates very high even when compared to current aero bikes, but it does have a harsher ride so I am using 27cc tires to help. I just wish the Reynolds wheels had a smother ride like the Zipps do then the Reynolds would be perfect!
C64 My Sixty 4 SR EPS 12

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bremerradkurier

by bremerradkurier

I'd take a look at these and avoid the hassles of carbon.

http://www.novemberbicycles.com/rfsw3/

AJS914

by AJS914

I'd get the $300 Zondas and not subject a $1500 set of wheels to cat 3/4 racing.

istigatrice

by istigatrice

Zondas or Novemberbicycles would be my pick, I highly doubt they would hold you back. They'll make nice training wheels and 'B' race wheels when you progress to the higher categories.

Quattros seem to be a little too similar to the RS330 to be worth the money IMO.
I write the weightweenies blog, hope you like it :)

Disclosure: I'm sponsored by Velocite, but I do give my honest opinion about them (I'm endorsed to race their bikes, not say nice things about them)

Multebear

by Multebear

I call BS on not upgrading to carbon racing cat 3/4. There's no right time or category that is more suited for carbon wheels than others. If you have the money and want a little more speed, especially if Farsports is on your shortlist, then do it. I have praised my 3 sets of Farsports wheels countless times on this board. One of them are the 50 mm deep, 25 mm wide ones, and I'm very satisfied with them in every aspect. As long as you only use them for racing and maybe a few training rides, you'll get a lot of good and trouble free miles out of them, but I would say the same about, Zipp, Enve or LW for that matter. And with 240 hubs, you can't go wrong. Use your cheap shimanos for training and bad weather and the Farsports for racing.

kulivontot

by kulivontot

Race what you can afford to replace regardless of category

Multebear

by Multebear

Or just avoid crashing.

rossjm11

by rossjm11

I won a Cat 3 state crit championship on a set of used 404 firecrest I bought...
Just saying :)
BMC SLR01 2015
Redline Conquest Team

jekyll man

by jekyll man

Ironically, the farsports etc are more likely to be cheaper and easier to repair / replace in the case of a pile up.
Getting a rim / spokes out of campag/fulcrum/shimano for 1 of their wheels is damn near impractical.

carry on, go for the farsports i say :thumbup:
Official cafe stop tester

Hexsense

by Hexsense

i'd add Light bicycle 28mm outer and 21mm inner width into the mix.
Many crits are deciding in the corner and wide tires alone give good grip but may be squishy if the rim platform is too narrow.
That's where very wide inner rim width come into the play, it make tire wider lowering rolling resistance and increase grip And also more stable in corner.

Maybe LB 46mm deep, 28mm wide in the front with 25c (or 23c tire) -> 23c conti 4000sII on rim this wide will measure around 26.5mm, 25c of conti will be 29, other brands will be smaller.

And Farsport deeper wheel for the rear with 28c tire (or 25c tire -> should measure ~28 on 18-19mm inner rim of Farsport, FSE already so 28 may not needed)

FCVRider

by FCVRider

Thanks for all the input guys,

Went middle ground... Ordered Far Sports 50x25 with DT350. Now the waiting game.

gsindela

by gsindela

FCVRider wrote:Thanks for all the input guys,

Went middle ground... Ordered Far Sports 50x25 with DT350. Now the waiting game.

Where did you buy them?
2015 Storck Scenero G3, Force 22, Ultegra wheels, Zipp AL bars, stem, post

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com