Continental GP4000s II still the go to tyre

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

AJS914

by AJS914

Just get 23mm Contis if you don't like the balloon look. They will measure out to 25mm anyway.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

Alumen wrote:Is the Continental GP4000s II still the go to tyre for you all ?

definitely not... unless you want a tire that consistently has sidewall failures and blowouts at high speed.

I've been using the S-Works Turbos (non-cotton) as my everyday training tire for the last two years after just getting so fed up with GP4000sII's constantly going bad on me, long before the tread was gone. The S-Works Turbos are faster, lighter, last longer and are cheaper... For race days, I use the S-Works Turbo Cotton. Love them, but I've recently been experimenting with the Vittoria Corsa G+ and Corsa Speed G+.

bremerradkurier

by bremerradkurier

CrankAddictsRich wrote:
Alumen wrote:Is the Continental GP4000s II still the go to tyre for you all ?

definitely not... unless you want a tire that consistently has sidewall failures and blowouts at high speed.

I've been using the S-Works Turbos (non-cotton) as my everyday training tire for the last two years after just getting so fed up with GP4000sII's constantly going bad on me, long before the tread was gone. The S-Works Turbos are faster, lighter, last longer and are cheaper... For race days, I use the S-Works Turbo Cotton. Love them, but I've recently been experimenting with the Vittoria Corsa G+ and Corsa Speed G+.

GP4000s run as low as $35 a piece including shipping from UK websites; lowest price I've found for S-Works Turbos are $55 as Spec Ed protects their MSRP with extreme prejudice.

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

bremerradkurier wrote:
GP4000s run as low as $35 a piece including shipping from UK websites; lowest price I've found for S-Works Turbos are $55 as Spec Ed protects their MSRP with extreme prejudice.

Yea... but when you factor in the fact that the sidewalls will blowout in 500 miles, and you'll go through 3 sets in the time of one set of S-Works wears, then you're back on the other side of the cost equation.

I usually buy my S-Works tires when Specialized runs the BOGO deal.

bremerradkurier

by bremerradkurier

CrankAddictsRich wrote:
bremerradkurier wrote:

Yea... but when you factor in the fact that the sidewalls will blowout in 500 miles, and you'll go through 3 sets in the time of one set of S-Works wears, then you're back on the other side of the cost equation.

Not been my own experience-I've been riding Continentals since back when the GP's first came out at $30 or so retail, tan sidewalls, and OMGBBQ max pressure on a 20C goes up to 150 PSI; also wasn't having durability problems with them during my expat years in Germany on occasional cobbles.

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

bremerradkurier wrote:
CrankAddictsRich wrote:
bremerradkurier wrote:

Not been my own experience-I've been riding Continentals since back when the GP's first came out at $30 or so retail, tan sidewalls, and OMGBBQ max pressure on a 20C goes up to 150 PSI; also wasn't having durability problems with them during my expat years in Germany on occasional cobbles.

That's cool... glad to hear you've been riding them so long. Its really great.

I can't speak to the old ones, Just the GP4000SII's. I went through 3 sets in one summer, they all had sidewall issues with the tires literally falling apart.. this was long before the actual tread was worn. At the same time, I had multiple friends that had severe blowouts that appeared to have started in the sidewall. Fortunately, none of them got hurt, but the last one happened directly in front of me traveling at 40 mph on a descent... somehow my friend managed to keep the bike upright while skidding on a carbon wheel as the tire and tube had locked up his rear wheel. I think they have some serious QC issues and if you google it, you'll see that I'm not the only one that has these stories.

Asteroid

by Asteroid

cmcdonnell wrote:
Asteroid wrote:There's much to like about the GP4000's, notably longevity and rollout. Very uniform tire and easy to mount.
But I'm a bit of a cornering demon, and the Conti's fall short of the Michelin Pro4, wet or dry. (Guessing same for their new Power, too.)
At the same 100 psi, the Pro4's feel superior, without the need to drop down to ridiculously low psi's and risk pinch flats.
Stocked up on the Conti's a year ago after finding around $30 apiece. Plan to return to the Michelin fold once my supply runs out by Fall.

Funny that. I hate the Michelin's on corners and have crashed twice on dry Spanish roads on Pro Race 2's so that pit me off. The Power Competitions feels pretty much the same. I find the GP4000’s incredibly grippy (the ones with Black Chili) and have never had a moment wet or dry. I'm quite light which may make possibly a difference?

PR2's are so ten years ago, man. PR4's are vastly superior, in my opinion. Slicks = more rubber on the road. Not sure what the Conti tread pattern accomplishes, other than equating to less of a contact patch in corners.

Like others mentioned here, I suffered a slit sidewall (mine from a one-inch rounded rock) on my rear 4000 25c tire, less than 500km into its life. Very brittle sidewalls. Compare this to sidewalls of any of the Pro Race series, which are more flexible and utilize a woven pattern within the compound. Never experienced such a sidewall failure in almost 200,000km of Pro Race riding!

Overall, I think they over-hype this rolling resistance thing. Conti GP4000's are fine, but I think better choices exist.
Oldbie

calleking

by calleking

I just tried a new pair of 25mm Michelin Power Competition with my ENVE SES 4.5 clinchers. I found them better in every aspect to be honest. They feel faster, more comfy at same pressure and grip is excellent. Have not tried them yet in the rain so that could potentially be a drawback. Tread thickness is really good but sidewall thickness could potentially cause some problems. I never had really had any sidewall related punctures so we'll see about that.

http://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com ... ition-2016

Used Conti GP4000S2 for many years now so and something tells me I already did the switch. GP4000S2 still is a good choice but I'd say there's better alternatives now depending on price and the types of roads you ride on.
2022 Wilier Filante SLR Dura-Ace/Ultegra Di2 12sp
2021 Cannondale Scalpel Carbon 2

Retired:
2018 S-Works Tarmac SL6 Sagan Superstar DA 9150
2016 Aeroad CF SLX UDi2
2016 CAAD12 - SRAM Red 22 - Hyper 50mm

Lugan

by Lugan

My dozen+ riding buddies and I nearly all use 4000S tires for year after year. We ride fast and long (all ex-racers) over roads with varying quality and lots of glass and other sharp stuff laying around. No problems. I cannot remember the last time anyone flatted on those tires, though the guy with Veloflex tires flatted twice last year that I can remember. I cannot remember anyone ever complaining about a harsh ride.

Speaking for myself, I am careful about using the right inflation pressure and maybe that is the key to their comfort for me, or maybe I am just not that sensitive about harsh ride quality. I keep eyeing tubeless road setups with Schwalbe Pro One in mind, and actually my rain/winter bike has those in 28c set up tubeless for two years now (they are great - smooth and reliable), but see no reason to switch from GP 4000S on my two skinny tire bikes. I remain open minded though.

nemeseri

by nemeseri

I have to agree with the others praising the gp4000sII. While I did have side wall failures in the past 4 years twice, I still consider them as the ultimate go-to tire.

If you want a faster TT tire, there are definitely other options to look at, but for training and generic racing you can cover your fields very well with these for very cheap. There is nothing wrong trying out other brands. I'm 100% confident that the top tires from every brand will be very close to the gp4000s. BUT I experienced poor puncture resistance, poor wet grip, more weight or poor longevity with other brands. I also don't find the GPs harsh or dead, I believe that people should focus more on proper tire pressure than high TPI. If you want tires that roll great you can always switch to tubulars. That will make *some* difference in road feel and cornering.

bremerradkurier

by bremerradkurier

Latex tubes definitely make them moar better and are worth the extra time pumping up before each ride.

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

nemeseri wrote: If you want tires that roll great you can always switch to tubulars. That will make *some* difference in road feel and cornering.

Actually, its quite a well known fact that high end clinchers with latex tubes roll better and are faster than tubulars. The reason why pros use tubulars is because you can ride on a flat for considerably longer, almost indefinitely, allowing a team car to get to you.

kgt

by kgt

I don't agree. Hi end tubulars roll and perform much better than any hi end clincher + latex tube unless you compare their performance on a bike going straight on a flat, smooth surface. That's the only case where a clincher might perform slightly better.

calleking

by calleking

Can your back that up with numbers?
2022 Wilier Filante SLR Dura-Ace/Ultegra Di2 12sp
2021 Cannondale Scalpel Carbon 2

Retired:
2018 S-Works Tarmac SL6 Sagan Superstar DA 9150
2016 Aeroad CF SLX UDi2
2016 CAAD12 - SRAM Red 22 - Hyper 50mm

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

spartacus

by spartacus

GP4000S seem to have the best balance between speed and durability. I have 25c vittoria open paves on one bike though and they feel pretty good too, but I don't know if they even make those anymore and for the price you can get a GP4000S for, it's basically a no brainer IMO.