Continental GP4000s II still the go to tyre

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

petromyzon

by petromyzon

TonyM wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:09 pm
petromyzon wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:45 pm
Turbo Cotton is my favourite, no coincidence that it was developed by the same people as GP4000S. That said it is twice the price of the latter and significantly less durable. If I had to recommend a tyre to a friend without knowledge of them, their budget or their riding experience, it would have to be the Conti.

We are rapidly reaching the point where tubulars are pointless save for the safety aspects. If you want cutting edge compound +nice casing + latex tube and you aren't a pro..... Vittoria is the only game in town, maybe Specialized if you can find them.
And Veloflex.
I don't agree Tony. Aesthetically Veloflex are my favourite by far but big name Pro teams have swapped off them for lack of wet grip, and they never seem to do well in rolling resistance tests (in part because they are smaller than most brands, but there you go).

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

Asteroid wrote:
Hexsense wrote:
ArtV wrote:Sorry to dig up an old thread but wanted to add my comments. I tried Michelin Power Competitions based on the BRR review. Both front and rear tires suffered sidewall failures in the first 30 days. Going back to Continental Grand Prix 4000S II. They are certainly my go-to tire.

ArtV
same as my experience, 23c Power competition doesn't last more than a month.
I currently using Vittoria Corsa G+ which seems to be plushier through bad road which i suspect that it may also be faster on bad road as well since i'm not bouncing around as much. But then again Conti still roll well at lower pressure so i'm not sure about Conti at lower pressure vs Vittoria at normal pressure on bad road.
I can't really speak for the Michelin Power, but can for the Michelin Pro4 AND the Conti's.
Just last Saturday went back to the Pro4 in 25c size. Far superior ride over the Conti 4000sii. No contest.
And no need to employ a hack like everybody running their Conti's at low pressures to compensate.
With both running at 105-110psi, the Conti's feel harsh. And forget cornering, too, as the Pro4's smoke 'em in corners.
Oh, and the primary reason for me changing back is the 2nd catastrophic sidewall slit failure on the Conti's.
Never experienced that over many years of Michelin iterations.
Why in the world would you run any tire at 105-110 psi? Every catastrophic failure is due to overinflated tire.
Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

:arrow: CBA = Chronic Bike Addiction
:arrow: OCD = Obsessive Cycling Disorder

TonyM

by TonyM

petromyzon wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:59 am
I don't agree Tony. Aesthetically Veloflex are my favourite by far but big name Pro teams have swapped off them for lack of wet grip, and they never seem to do well in rolling resistance tests (in part because they are smaller than most brands, but there you go).
You don't have to disagree. Different people different opinion. All ok.

I use Vittoria Open Corsa and Veloflex Corsa depending in the wheelset (Bora 50 Ultra/ Lightweight Meilenstein) and the bike but actually prefer the Veloflex. Not really because of their lower weight but to me they "feel" smoother. It also depends on the wheels that you have, you weight, the pressure etc....Ah I use both with latex tubes. I usually have 23mm front and 25mm rear and 95 psi. I weigh 149 lbs (+7 lbs in the winter)

I actually do not really care which brand the pros are using. But remember how many pro Teams get rid of the Vittoria because of their poor grip in the wet (they usually switched to Conti). And Pro Teams are using the tubulars which are often different than the clincher.

In the wet I use Vittoria Open Pavé 25mm or Conti 4 seasons in the winter/ wet.