* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Blog NEW Galleries NEW FAQ Contact About Impressum
It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 1:25 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 1:45 am 

CrankAddictsRich wrote:
nemeseri wrote:
If you want tires that roll great you can always switch to tubulars. That will make *some* difference in road feel and cornering.

Actually, its quite a well known fact that high end clinchers with latex tubes roll better and are faster than tubulars. The reason why pros use tubulars is because you can ride on a flat for considerably longer, almost indefinitely, allowing a team car to get to you.

Well I was referring to road feel and cornering mainly when I said "roll great".

BUT I also agree that tubulars can go just as fast as clinchers if they are properly glued and have latex inner tubes (so conti is a big no-no). It's really hard to find proper tests regarding the tubs vs clincher crr. The tests at bicyclerollingresistance.com show that the tubular vittoria corsa speed can beat very-very fast clinchers and some tubeless tires. But this is just one example. Usually tests use poorly or not glued tubs, don't factor in the real measured width of the tires (clinchers usually wider for the same size resulting in lower crr) etc.

Also keep in mind that the current hour record was set on vittoria tubs pumped up to 180psi. Only 1 out of 10 pro uses clinchers during TTs. For amateurs there is less room for error with clinchers and clinchers might have a marginal edge in some cases. BUT you can't make a blanket statement that clinchers are faster. If that were the case, everybody would be on them in the pro peloton during TTs and probably on the track too.

Posted: Sat May 06, 2017 1:45 am 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:08 pm 

Sorry to dig up an old thread but wanted to add my comments. I tried Michelin Power Competitions based on the BRR review. Both front and rear tires suffered sidewall failures in the first 30 days. Going back to Continental Grand Prix 4000S II. They are certainly my go-to tire.

ArtV

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:21 pm 

ArtV wrote:
Sorry to dig up an old thread but wanted to add my comments. I tried Michelin Power Competitions based on the BRR review. Both front and rear tires suffered sidewall failures in the first 30 days. Going back to Continental Grand Prix 4000S II. They are certainly my go-to tire.

ArtV

same as my experience, 23c Power competition doesn't last more than a month.
I currently using Vittoria Corsa G+ which seems to be plushier through bad road which i suspect that it may also be faster on bad road as well since i'm not bouncing around as much. But then again Conti still roll well at lower pressure so i'm not sure about Conti at lower pressure vs Vittoria at normal pressure on bad road.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:47 pm 

Hexsense wrote:
ArtV wrote:

ArtV

I currently using Vittoria Corsa G+ which seems to be plushier through bad road which i suspect that it may also be faster on bad road as well since i'm not bouncing around as much. But then again Conti still roll well at lower pressure so i'm not sure about Conti at lower pressure vs Vittoria at normal pressure on bad road.

I can't really speak for the Michelin Power, but can for the Michelin Pro4 AND the Conti's.
Just last Saturday went back to the Pro4 in 25c size. Far superior ride over the Conti 4000sii. No contest.
And no need to employ a hack like everybody running their Conti's at low pressures to compensate.
With both running at 105-110psi, the Conti's feel harsh. And forget cornering, too, as the Pro4's smoke 'em in corners.
Oh, and the primary reason for me changing back is the 2nd catastrophic sidewall slit failure on the Conti's.
Never experienced that over many years of Michelin iterations.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:16 pm 

Asteroid wrote:
Hexsense wrote:
ArtV wrote:

ArtV

I can't really speak for the Michelin Power, but can for the Michelin Pro4 AND the Conti's.
Just last Saturday went back to the Pro4 in 25c size. Far superior ride over the Conti 4000sii. No contest.
And no need to employ a hack like everybody running their Conti's at low pressures to compensate.
With both running at 105-110psi, the Conti's feel harsh. And forget cornering, too, as the Pro4's smoke 'em in corners.
Oh, and the primary reason for me changing back is the 2nd catastrophic sidewall slit failure on the Conti's.
Never experienced that over many years of Michelin iterations.

So depending on your experience they are either the best thing since sliced bread or the worst thing since pressfit bottom brackets.

ArtV

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:52 pm 

ArtV wrote:

So depending on your experience they are either the best thing since sliced bread or the worst thing since pressfit bottom brackets.

ArtV

Neither. From my experience, the Pro4's are the better tire - rolling resistance be damned! - while the 4000's do the job okay.
Don't say that about pressfit bb's...just yesterday I bought a pressfit bb Cannondale after much trepidation over that! :shock: