Wheels for C60 - Hyperon or Corima?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Luften

by Luften

Wow, I'm surprised! The Corima is 290g.

I wonder why Campag haven't updated the rim. It's been out for so long and they could surely make it lighter, a bit wider, and add the new brake track treatment...?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

clm2206

by clm2206

prglewis wrote:Wow, I'm surprised! The Corima is 290g.

I wonder why Campag haven't updated the rim. It's been out for so long and they could surely make it lighter, a bit wider, and add the new brake track treatment...?

Maybe because they are focused on the Bora Ultra 35 development, lighter and even stiffer than Hyperons.

Enviado desde mi SM-E700M mediante Tapatalk

Mockenrue

by Mockenrue

I had Hyperon Ultra Twos from 2013-2015 and they're stellar wheels but the Bora Ultra 35s are definitely better. A pair of those with the red and white labels would better suit your C60 IMHO.

3Pio

by 3Pio

clm2206 wrote:
prglewis wrote:Wow, I'm surprised! The Corima is 290g.

Maybe because they are focused on the Bora Ultra 35 development, lighter and even stiffer than Hyperons.

Enviado desde mi SM-E700M mediante Tapatalk

Does someone has idea what is the rim weight on Bora 35 after 2015 model?

Luften

by Luften

clm2206 wrote:Maybe because they are focused on the Bora Ultra 35 development, lighter and even stiffer than Hyperons.

Yeah possible. Or maybe there's just not enough demand to refresh them, or maybe going lighter on the rim won't help the overall wheel - it still has to roll on the flats as well, plus stiffness/comfort/balance. :noidea:
Last edited by Luften on Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Luften

by Luften

Time for some Photoshop!

I think I'm leaning towards the Hyperons. I prefer the classic look, and even though they're heavier and arguably an older design, I've only heard rave reviews about their overall characteristics.

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

Corima has a new crop of wide wheels. Go wide!

LionelB

by LionelB

Rode my hyperons this morning. Awesome wheels.

Luften

by Luften

I was speaking with a LBS - generally a good quality and knowledgeable place - and they told me Campagnolo have actually stopped making the Hyperons.

Anyone know if that's the case?

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

It appears that the Hyperon clincher has been discontinued, but the tubular remains in production.

http://www.wiggle.com/campagnolo-hyperon-ultra-two-clincher-carbon-road-wheelset/ wrote:Sorry - this product is no longer available

This Campagnolo Hyperon Ultra Two Clincher Carbon Road Wheelset is no longer available although you may find similar or newer versions below

vamoots58

by vamoots58

Apologies as my response is not exactly what you are asking for, but... I have a pair of the S+ 47mm Corimas that I have had for a little over a year. I also have a pair of the Campy Bora Ultra 2's. I have been very pleased with the Corimas. The fit and finish felt top notch right out of the box. They roll well and at 22mm wide, my 25mm tubulars glue up well. The Campys are great wheels and mine are the older 20mm rims.

FilipBlcr

by FilipBlcr

Hi I have both wheels now ridden for 1000km . Im testing a Lot of wheels and to compare this wheels , I think there are some differences.
Corima VivaS 32
Better traction on flat under 35km/h
Verry good in ceosswind
More comfort,but not less stiffness
Better braking action with cork brake pads
Dont use cork Corima brake pads if is wet or rainy, its like a butter
If is rainy use Jagwire wet pads
Better Acceleration from Zero to sprint.

Hyperon Ultra Two
More stiff in acceleration in higher speed
Very good braking with originál Campagnolo Brake pads in all weather
Better braking in wet weather than Corima with jagwire wet pads
Better traction above 35km/h caused heavier Rim
Verry good in crosswind

I have tested Bora Ultra Two I Think Hyperon and Bora are Very simillar in a lot off ways.

I have a Lot experiences with a Lot of wheels , but Sorry for my English ;)

Luften

by Luften

Thanks everyone for the feedback and thoughts! :beerchug:

I ended up getting the Hyperons. Rode them for the first time last weekend in San Francisco and thought to report back...

FYI: My other wheels (pictured earlier) are HED C2 Belgium rims custom built onto Campag Record hubs (32 spokes), riding with Veloflex Master 25's. These wheels have been fantastic, they roll so incredibly smoothly and are both comfortable and stiff.

The Hyperons surprised me in a couple of areas. Braking was very strong (dry weather), and I actually saw my biggest gains on the downhill. I'm riding Veloflex Roubaix tires on the Hyperons and they have quite a lot more tread than the Master clinchers (I'm quite surprised how different the clinchers and tubs are coming from the same brand), so I partly put this down to the tires. I also found the bike easier to maneuver through tight turns and switchbacks, specifically it was much easier to tilt the bike, and when freewheeling downhill their speed pickup was more manageable. Overall, combined with the better grip from the tubs, I had a lot more confidence and I found I could go downhill faster without really trying.

On the uphill, it's a little harder to compare as it was a very windy weekend (20-25mph+ winds). I did PR, but only by a small amount and with higher power numbers than my last rides here. What I did notice was that I felt less fatigued reaching the tops of the climbs. It's hard to compare given the conditions, but I think on a less windy weekend I could have posted larger time gains on the climbs while feeling fresher for a given power.

Re comfort, they didn't beat me up by any means, but they're quite stiff. The first day I ran 95/100 tire pressures F/R, and then dropped them to 90/95 for the second and third day which worked much better for me. Roads are not the best, and I feel like they've gotten worse.

Re handling in the wind, they were perfect! Very well behaved and I never once felt a sketchy moment, even given the strong winds and changing directions. There were times coming around corners when the wind would blast in, and I don't remember losing my line once.

I'd still like to try the Corima's sometime, but I'd probably be inclined to do a custom build using their rims if I were to go in that direction. I felt that the weight of the (Hyperon) wheel-set is light enough, so I'd consider reallocating the extra weight saving into some extra spokes (maybe 24/24 or 24/28, 2x rather than straight pull). Riding the Hyperons I did sometimes feel like I could see them deflecting or vibrating (sideways) with the road surface which I think my clinchers are less prone to do. There was no brake rub or anything like that, rather this was looking down at the front wheel and seeing (or thinking I saw) some slight vibrations, but I'm not sure if (a) this was actually the case or (b) whether even it matters. Plus I'm coming from a 32 spoke bombproof wheel-set so maybe I'm just not used to the difference yet.

Overall very happy with the wheels! Oh and silent freehub! :thumbup: