Does this looks normal to you?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

addictR1

by addictR1

previously a mate crashed into my rear Aero72. he paid for my RAP (reynolds assurance program) so i can get my rear replaced.

i got my rear wheel back, they rebuilt using my original hub and new spoke and rim. upon checking, i noticed these and even contacted reynold's warranty dept. their response was that it looks normal and nothing to worry about.

the chip you see here is where the CF rim pieces are joined together and it's right above the brake track. reynolds said they can give me a UPS label to have this shipped back to be inspected, but i'd have to pay another $25 to get it shipped back. not sure if it's worth while to send it back in?

what do you guys think?

ImageImage
Last edited by addictR1 on Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

I look at it as $25 for peace of mind. Do it and don't look back.

ergott

by ergott

It would be better to see original resolution file (and better quality), but I think that's a void in the carbon. If I'm right, it's not ideal but it won't blow up tomorrow either.

A better pic for assessment would be no flash and in good lighting so there's no reflection back at the camera.

addictR1

by addictR1

FIJIGabe: thanks
ergott: i'll try to get another shot of it tonight.

addictR1

by addictR1

Tried to take a better pic without reflection but this is as good as it gets. All photos are taken without flash.

I've labeled all the areas and found a new section where it looks delaminated. See photo.

ImageImage

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

antonioiglesius

by antonioiglesius

The second picture doesn't look normal to me. It looks like a reject case during QA. I'm wondering if the wheel was damaged during shipping.

ergott

by ergott

I'd pay the $25 shipping and get them to Reynolds.

addictR1

by addictR1

antonioiglesius wrote:The second picture doesn't look normal to me. It looks like a reject case during QA. I'm wondering if the wheel was damaged during shipping.

well according to Reynolds these are brand new rims, so who knows. i'm shipping these back today for them to check it out. i've also printed out the photos for their team to inspect. hopefully they will realize it's not normal and send me another rim.

but since the Aero72 is not in production anymore.. i wonder maybe they don't have much selection of rims left?

not to mention this rim came back 5g heavier than my previous...

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

They look like tiny voids and I don't think there's anything to worry about. Take a look here at the Lightweight wheel. Same deal and even a lot more!

addictR1

by addictR1

pdlpsher1: that's a sexy moots! well i sent it in.. if Reynolds checks and says it's fine then at least it's a peace of mind. if epidemic failure should happen at those spots i've listed.. then at least i got something to back up my claim with. hopefully it never comes to that. i really love these wheels, just wish the engine was stronger... ;)

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

A while back someone had posted here about a concern on the Boras, that he saw very small voids at the very top of the brake track. He posted some magnified photos and the voids looked downright scary! I went to my Boras and couldn't see anything with the naked eye. So I looked it over again and I saw the same voids using a 10x magnifying loupe. Me thinks that tiny voids are part of the carbon manufacturing process and nothing to worry about. When small defects are magnified they look worse than they really are! I would be concerned with big voids that are obvious. If Reynolds come back and say they are OK I'd would just let it go and rest assured you will be OK. Just keep an eye on it to make sure it doesn't get worse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

addictR1

by addictR1

Yup... Will do that. They should have it tomorrow delivered so hopefully they will have time to look it over.

nom8099

by nom8099

It doesn't looks normal to me. It looks like shipping damages~

addictR1

by addictR1

nom8099 wrote:It doesn't looks normal to me. It looks like shipping damages~

Well the wheel is back at Reynolds. So will check with them next week to see.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

addictR1

by addictR1

Got an email response back from Reynolds

"Your wheel has gone through inspection and there is nothing wrong with this wheel. In the previous emails that I have sent it’s the same conclusion once I have physically seen wheel.
This would all fall within all guidelines that we have and not structurally wrong that you need to worry about.

I will have it shipped back out today."

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com