American Classic Road tubeless rim replacement

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Gary71

by Gary71

I've had a pair of AMC road tubeless wheels from about 2014. Barely rode them as the rear wheel always creaked. I had several shops look at it over the years and they would adjust something on the wheel - but 50kms later the creak would be back.
Anyway, I was out riding one day and my derailleur hanger failed and put my Campag record rear derailleur up through the wheel causing a buckle and destroying my chain and derailleur (expensive ride). :shock:
I've taken the wheel in to be trued and he mechanic has discovered the rim has stress cracks in 3 different spots around the rim. The cracks are running parallel to rim about an inch away from a spoke hole underneath the AMC stickers.
Anyway, My question is this:
I have a perfect set of spokes and rear hub, can anyone tell me where I can get a rim replacement so I can re-use the spokes and hub?
I have looked on the AMC website and the only road tubeless rim they have is an ACRD 2218 with an ERD of 600 when the road tubeless (according to their website) came with rims that were 594 ERD.
Can I take a Stan's Notubes Alpha 340 rim - 24 hole cut and re-use the AMC spokes and hub with that? The ERD on the stan's indicated a 592. Which would make the spokes 1mm short? Can I get away with this? :noidea:

Any suggestions or alternatives ?

thanks in advance

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TheKaiser

by TheKaiser

Gary71 wrote:I've had a pair of AMC road tubeless wheels from about 2014. Barely rode them as the rear wheel always creaked. I had several shops look at it over the years and they would adjust something on the wheel - but 50kms later the creak would be back.
Anyway, I was out riding one day and my derailleur hanger failed and put my Campag record rear derailleur up through the wheel causing a buckle and destroying my chain and derailleur (expensive ride). :shock:
I've taken the wheel in to be trued and he mechanic has discovered the rim has stress cracks in 3 different spots around the rim. The cracks are running parallel to rim about an inch away from a spoke hole underneath the AMC stickers.
Anyway, My question is this:
I have a perfect set of spokes and rear hub, can anyone tell me where I can get a rim replacement so I can re-use the spokes and hub?
I have looked on the AMC website and the only road tubeless rim they have is an ACRD 2218 with an ERD of 600 when the road tubeless (according to their website) came with rims that were 594 ERD.
Can I take a Stan's Notubes Alpha 340 rim - 24 hole cut and re-use the AMC spokes and hub with that? The ERD on the stan's indicated a 592. Which would make the spokes 1mm short? Can I get away with this? :noidea:

Any suggestions or alternatives ?

thanks in advance

Regarding the rims on the AMC website, they have never sold their lightest/fanciest rims on their own, they have kept them for complete wheels only, in a manner similar to Mavic not selling their Cosmic or Ksyrium rims on their own. They might be willing to sell you one specifically for rebuilding yours though, but you'd need to check with their Aussie distributor to find out.

Regarding using the Stans rim as a replacement, that may work. A millimeter on the spokes is not a big deal, unless they were already marginal. If I am not mistaken though, your spokes may be 1mm too long, not too short, as you would be swapping to a smaller diameter rim, no? In that case, you would just want to make sure you wouldn't run out of thread and bottom the nips out on the spoke before the were up to tension. If that were to happen, you could use nipple washers though, which would compensate, and perhaps improve the durability of the wheel too.

You should be able to get an idea by looking at how much spoke is protruding from the nips inside your current rim. AMC has some special nips too, that have a taller profile and a threaded extension beyond where most nipples end, which allows the use of longer spokes and gives more thread engagement with the spoke. I'm not sure if they used them on your wheels or not, but just keep that in mind.

F45

by F45

1mm too long is fine. I would go for it.

You could always throw in some nipple washers if it didn't work. That would add 1.5 to the ERD.

Gary71

by Gary71

Thanks F4S and TheKaiser - I didn't think about using nipple washers. That's a good idea.
Now I just have to find a 24 hole Alpha rim here in Australia....., so I don't get hit with ridiculous $$$ for postage !

Tj123

by Tj123

Hi, just wondering if you ever replaced the rear rim and how it went. As the spokes are grouped in 3. With 16 drive side and 8 non drive.