DuraAce C24 9100 or custom HED Belgium plus build?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

zilla24

by zilla24

Good afternoon - New member here and could use some wheel help. For background I'm riding a 2016 Cervelo R5 and am agonizing over which new wheel set to buy over the stock Mavic Askiums. The majority of my riding includes climbing of some sort, roughly 100ft for every mile traveled. I am an average cyclist on their way to above average and weigh 175lbs.

My dilemma is this, I like the specs of the DuraAce C24s for climbing but have some concerns about rim width and serviceability in the event a spoke were to break (parts/etc...) My local roads are no stranger to potholes. I have a local shop I trust that can build a DT Swiss 240/Belgium + or Chris King R45/Belgium + wheel set for approximately $400 more than the C24s. I'm also hoping for whatever wheel set I end up with to be less than 1500g.

For those that have ridden and serviced both, which is the better bet? Is it worth $400 for the extra rim width? Thanks for input and suggestions in advance.
Last edited by zilla24 on Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

uraqt

by uraqt

I am a 1000lbs and I am not happy with my front C24, it pules while braking and sure feels like it's moving under load. I have been told to change the angle on my brake pads but never got got around to it.. That said the rear is rock solid and yes that makes no sense.

Have you looked in to building your own wheel?

C

zilla24

by zilla24

I've never built a wheel,
I would consider a custom set just not sure I'm the guy to build it.

zilla24

by zilla24

Edit - double post

sib

by sib

uraqt wrote:I am not happy with my front C24, it pules while braking

What pads are you using?

I had this with Shimano pads but it's disappeared now that I've switched to Swiss Stop.
Other people have commented that reversing the wheel helps.

billrush

by billrush

I weigh 165 and a front wheel spoke broke last month on my C24 9000 tubeless wheels while visiting in Tucson. That made the wheel unrideable. No one in town had the proprietary spoke. The rear wheel has two different proprietary spokes and the front wheel has a proprietary nut used at the hub. I now have a spare of all 3 spokes and the nuts are on order and were not easy to find. What a pain. I will probably not buy wheels with proprietary spokes again.

zilla24

by zilla24

Bill- your comment is exactly what concerns me about the c24. Weight and price are attractive but the serviceability and long term use are concerning. I'm starting to lean towards the HED setup.

uraqt

by uraqt

How does a front spoke break... that is so lame...

C

F45

by F45

$400 more than C24, so like $1100? Your shop is making like $500 profit off this job.

Belgium is a good rim but others have caught up and are less money.

But yeah, custom build is a better design choice. If you like Dura Ace hubs, you can get them for $350 a set.

kervelo

by kervelo

F45 wrote:Belgium is a good rim but others have caught up...

One great option for a rim is the Easton R 90 SL. 24 mm by 27 mm, light, stiff and great quality.

nemeseri

by nemeseri

I own a c24 and a custom built h+son archetype in 20/28 with white industries hubs. I weigh 132lbs. Both wheels are great. Obviously the c24s are a tad lighter, the h+sons are more serviceable and because of the number of spokes, more reliable (with 28 in the back, I can probably get home with 1 spoke missing). I love both wheels. For touring, I'd pick the custom built one. For generic riding I'd go with the c24s given they are 100g lighter. Never had any problem with neither of them.

At your weight, especially if you are a stronger rider, AND you want something easily serviceable, I'd pick the custom built one. Think about it as a training wheelset and don't get obsessed with the weight. Anything around 1,500g is nice with alloy brake tracks. Regarding the wider rim: I'd not pay $400 more just to ride something wider. It won't make that much of a difference in my opinion YMMW.

zilla24

by zilla24

F45 wrote:$400 more than C24, so like $1100? Your shop is making like $500 profit off this job.

Belgium is a good rim but others have caught up and are less money.

But yeah, custom build is a better design choice. If you like Dura Ace hubs, you can get them for $350 a set.

My shop quoted about $1200, I'm not quite sure what their margins are on a wheebuild. I can also get a set of Chris King/Belgium + direct from CKs website with free shipping for $1150.

I appreciate the training wheelset comment, that is a good point to keep in perspective. Ease of use and longevity are going to be important. This wheelset will never be a sub 1200g carbon race set. The C24s are 1400g where the custom build should be slightly less than 1500g but with a greater spoke count.

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

No LBS specialize in wheel building. Sure, they know the fundamental, that's all. Find a reputable wheel builder instead.

Here's the list of reputable wheel builders in the States:
http://www.boydcycling.com/custom-builds
http://www.wheelbuilder.com/custom-road-wheels
http://novemberbicycles.wazala.com/cate ... lect-alloy
Last edited by mpulsiv on Sat Apr 15, 2017 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

:arrow: CBA = Chronic Bike Addiction
:arrow: OCD = Obsessive Cycling Disorder

jekyll man

by jekyll man

billrush wrote:I weigh 165 and a front wheel spoke broke last month on my C24 9000 tubeless wheels while visiting in Tucson. That made the wheel unrideable. No one in town had the proprietary spoke. The rear wheel has two different proprietary spokes and the front wheel has a proprietary nut used at the hub. I now have a spare of all 3 spokes and the nuts are on order and were not easy to find. What a pain. I will probably not buy wheels with proprietary spokes again.

I've got a pair of the ultegra tubeless, and I've had front and rear spokes snap.
The rear would turn okay despite being taco'ed, but when the front went, I ended up doing 25 miles with it rubbing on my fork leg every revolution. Good job it was only my winter bike!!

Whilst they feel good as a wheel, my take is that:
a- the rims are made from putty, they are that soft. 1 uk winter of fairly light riding has killed them.
b- if you are looking at tubeless as an option, then the need to use shimano's own valves (without a removable core) makes getting the job of seating the tyre a complete pain. You just cannot dump enough air in quickly.
c- the hubs aren't up to the level as the true groupset hubs regarding sealing etc.

Might be worth looking at Bontragers paradigm wheelsets- hits the wide rim mark, good hubs, lightish, good reputation regarding longeivity, (spokes not normally right at their elastic limit etc ime), and all backed up with a good dealer network if needed.
Official cafe stop tester

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

zilla24

by zilla24

Thanks everyone for the guidance and comments, I've put the thought of C24s behind me. Now to focus on which wheel/hub combo to go with!