Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Blog NEW Galleries NEW FAQ Contact About Impressum
It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:11 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:10 am 

I'm looking for a new set of wheels specifically for long days in the mountains. I have always wanted a pair of lightweights and there are a pair of used standard ii on their website. How would they compare to the new Corima 32mm rims with extralite hubs? I'm 74kg when in good shape.

Grateful for any thoughts. The corimas would be around £300 cheaper.

Posted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:10 am 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:49 am 

hi
i have experience with lightweights. great wheels, but very specific wheels. last thing i would want in the mountains because if it got windy, descending would be a nightmare. the solution is to get gipfelsturm/ventoux if you want them for mountain use. the std's are nice for no wind days out on rolling/flat courses. they are so cross wind affected, particularly in buffeting/variable wind conditions, that it is off-putting. i wish they weren't but that is my experience.

so go corima's for sure as at 32 mm, they would be a much better choice than the v-shape 47 mm of the lightweight. i would prefer a more robust hub like the dt240 as i believe the extra-lite might require slightly more maintenance.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:35 pm 

Standard ii's are way too old, resin tech and hubs are pretty bad. Corimas to extralite cyber SP's could be an OK option. What about AX lightness ultra 24 rims? Laced to extralite cyber SP's you can get well under 800g- the ultimate climbing wheels!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:08 pm 

I agree that for the mountains Gipfelsturms would be the ideal choice. Much stiffer than Corima-extralite and definitely sexier. LW Standards are old and much more sensitive to crosswids but I do not agree that "resin tech and hubs are pretty bad". I don't think either that a 800gr wheelset is a good idea for a 74+ kg rider.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:30 pm 

See pm.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:56 pm 
in the industry

Wookski wrote:
Standard ii's are way too old, resin tech and hubs are pretty bad. Corimas to extralite cyber SP's could be an OK option. What about AX lightness ultra 24 rims? Laced to extralite cyber SP's you can get well under 800g- the ultimate climbing wheels!

Cyber max 32 from extralite is a good option with a little more rim depth to stiffen it up a touch

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:28 pm 

I've had issues with the v-rim profile of the lightweights and the Lew/Reynolds wheels on descents with cross winds with the wind feeling on and off and making handling not so much fun. Gigantex (bikehubstore) makes some super light 55mm rims I've paired with Tune straight pull hubs for some sub 950g wheels. I prefer the Tune to the Extralight hubs due to much better bearing wheel are very similar hub width with a super wide stance. Also, I love the AX rims with tubeless set up... and the Scmolke rims are awesome. But, I do love the lightweight/reynolds carbon spokes. doesn't lightweight make a rounded rim with their carbon spokes?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:46 pm 

kgt wrote:
I agree that for the mountains Gipfelsturms would be the ideal choice. Much stiffer than Corima-extralite and definitely sexier. LW Standards are old and much more sensitive to crosswids but I do not agree that "resin tech and hubs are pretty bad". I don't think either that a 800gr wheelset is a good idea for a 74+ kg rider.

Dude- they're 10 year old wheels, if he was talking about gen iv then it would be a different proposition (still not ideal for climbing). I have gen iii obermeyers which are light, fun and cool looking wheels. They are absolutely horrifying on fast windy descents which is why Gipfelsturms are recommended. Agree with most of the opinions above apart from the comments regarding Schmolke rims. They have been having issues with production and whilst I love the brand (have TLO bars) there's no way I'd roll the dice on a first generation product.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:03 pm 

My Metron 81 wheels are less afected by side winds than the old LW standard 2 I had... and there's over 3 cm difference in rim height so that says a lot.

LWs are great wheels, but for a small variety of conditions - no wind, flat or on area with small hills. The bike changes character a lot when you install them, they are great for climbing and sprinting, bike accelerates noticeably faster and feels light, very agressive. But on all other conditions and riding style they are below what competition can offer. Technology has moved on from the early 90s and LWs are basically the same design they always were. Corima has a high quiality rims, one of the best in the industry. As a person who has tried Lightweight I probably won't buy them ever again unless I have sginificant amount of cash available to spend on a bike and they update the design. They are indeed a beautiful thing, there's a special "magical" feel to them when they are istalled on a bike and they are beautifuly handmade thing, but they do not perform as great as they should for the price.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 5:05 pm 

Thanks everyone for the great advice. I will go down the Corima/Extralite. Spoke with Strada Wheels in the UK yesterday who recommended the Corima 32mm new wide mould with extralite hubs. Should be around the 1050g and be good value for money. Will drop around 600 grams of the total bike and look good to boot!

Posted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 5:05 pm 

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:58 pm 

Did you consider Dash?

just a quick note, the folks at Fairwheel steered me away from Extralight hubs due to bearing wear and to Tune...