Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Blog NEW Galleries NEW FAQ Contact About Impressum
It is currently Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:05 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: 3M 08001 Glue
PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 1:16 am 

With 08031 Fast Tack discontinued last year I was compelled to look for a replacement.

Before going with a conventional glue I looked at 3M super weatherstrip & gasket adhesive (08001). There were about 800 positive comments on it including some who used it to glue tires.

It cost $8 for a 5 oz tube. I got the yellow version. It shows up well on the rim.

Before riding a wheel using it I glued a worn out Continental Comp to an old rim & let it sit a few days.

Removing the tire was "difficult" as in sore thumb syndrome difficult. It was "at least" as difficult to remove as a tire glued with Fast Tack.

Will it eat the base tape? Maybe, but not in the short term. Never had that problem with Fast Tack either.

Post subject: 3M 08001 Glue
Posted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 1:16 am 

Post subject: Re: 3M 08001 Glue
PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 4:26 am 

rgamble wrote:
Before going with a conventional glue I looked at 3M super weatherstrip & gasket adhesive (08001). There were about 800 positive comments on it including some who used it to glue tires.

I had used some of that stuff for a tire related experiment (not gluing tubulars, it was on clinchers) many years ago. It does seem very strong, but it seemed to really harden up, and I wasn't ever able to remove it thoroughly, so you may want to see if you can determine the proper solvent and/or techqnique to use to remove it before applying it to your high end rims.

Post subject: Re: 3M 08001 Glue
PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:53 pm 

Good question insofar as reconciling the legacy adhesive practice of leaving a glue base vs. best practice for contemporary adhesives.

Looking at my test case about 75% of the 08001 glue stayed on the rim.