3M 08001 Glue

Everything about building wheels, glueing tubs, etc.
rgamble

by rgamble

With 08031 Fast Tack discontinued last year I was compelled to look for a replacement.

Before going with a conventional glue I looked at 3M super weatherstrip & gasket adhesive (08001). There were about 800 positive comments on it including some who used it to glue tires.

It cost $8 for a 5 oz tube. I got the yellow version. It shows up well on the rim.

Before riding a wheel using it I glued a worn out Continental Comp to an old rim & let it sit a few days.

Removing the tire was "difficult" as in sore thumb syndrome difficult. It was "at least" as difficult to remove as a tire glued with Fast Tack.

Will it eat the base tape? Maybe, but not in the short term. Never had that problem with Fast Tack either.

by Weenie

TheKaiser

by TheKaiser

rgamble wrote:Before going with a conventional glue I looked at 3M super weatherstrip & gasket adhesive (08001). There were about 800 positive comments on it including some who used it to glue tires.

I had used some of that stuff for a tire related experiment (not gluing tubulars, it was on clinchers) many years ago. It does seem very strong, but it seemed to really harden up, and I wasn't ever able to remove it thoroughly, so you may want to see if you can determine the proper solvent and/or techqnique to use to remove it before applying it to your high end rims.

rgamble

by rgamble

Good question insofar as reconciling the legacy adhesive practice of leaving a glue base vs. best practice for contemporary adhesives.

Looking at my test case about 75% of the 08001 glue stayed on the rim.