Tubular gluejob expiration date?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

nemeseri

by nemeseri

So I'm considering to use one of my wheels to test out things and the tire was glued about 7-8 months ago. I only used it for 3 month and put them away. Is it safe to ride? I glued them myself with vittoria mastik one.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

sugarkane
in the industry

by sugarkane

should be totally fine

richscott

by richscott

Safe as houses

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sungod

by sungod

yes, a few months is fine

fwiw i expect a couple of years before having to completely clean and re-glue a rim, in that time i'll fit several new tubs

by 11.4

Always check the glue job on a tire. Always. Every time you pump it up. Sometimes a glue job just gets popped in a hard acceleration or hard descent. Sometimes it deteriorates fast because the glue was old or the glue job wasn't quite up to par. Sometimes it was exposed to wet and didn't recover. Sometimes the glue job was perfect (mine always are!) and the base tape pulled off the tire casing. I'm not paranoid about tubular glue jobs, but I always check to be sure everything is stuck down.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Mep

by Mep

11.4 wrote:Always check the glue job on a tire. Always. Every time you pump it up. Sometimes a glue job just gets popped in a hard acceleration or hard descent. Sometimes it deteriorates fast because the glue was old or the glue job wasn't quite up to par. Sometimes it was exposed to wet and didn't recover. Sometimes the glue job was perfect (mine always are!) and the base tape pulled off the tire casing. I'm not paranoid about tubular glue jobs, but I always check to be sure everything is stuck down.

I recommend this as well. Checking on the glue job rather than the glue date makes most sense to me.