Is it me or these Boyd wheels?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

sd5500

by sd5500

Boydcycling wrote:There are certain tires that are tons tighter than others, and with the rims being designed for tubeless it is designed to run a tight fit. The Vittorias are definitely ones that fit tighter. People who are using Maxxis, Michelin, Conti, etc can get the tires to seat using no tires levers and no problems with inflation. It's one of those things where there is such a wide discrepancy of tire sizes out there that it's impossible to design a rim bed to work perfectly with all of them.

Can you shoot me an email and I will send you some tubeless tape to run on the wheels. The tubeless tape will be thinner and with the glossy coating it will not catch the tire like our normal rim strip can. We also just got new rim strips in that are a lot thinner and are a one piece nylon strip vs the kind that is on there that is a roll with adhesive backing. I'll send you a set of those also as they are much easier to install than the tubeless tape and may work for the tires as well.

Sorry for the hassles on this. . .I really wish all tires were the same size and fit the same in wheels. It'd really make things a lot easier for the customers.

Thank you! I'm sure that will do the trick. I'll email you now.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

sd5500

by sd5500

I received the tubeless tape and rim strips, thank you Boyd. The rim strips look to be what was on there except a 22 mm version VS the 18 mm mailed to me. Put the strips on, and was ready to put on a new set of Michelin Power Comps. The comps are every bit as difficult as the Vittorias to mount. Can't get them on yet and had to take a break, as my frustration level was getting a little on the high side. I will literally give anyone $1000 who can put these tires on these rims with just your hands. I can't do it with a plastic tire lever.

sd5500

by sd5500

Just tried again and no go. I made sure the bead was in the center. I started at the valve and opposite. I have 4 other sets of clincher wheels (not tubleless) from 3 different manufactures and all of these tires I've tried go right on. I'm tapping out. Sorry, but tires should not go on this difficult. Tubeless is not for me I guess.

Lelandjt

by Lelandjt

Put on the thin, smooth tubeless tape. If you still can't get the tires on bring them to a shop and ask if you can pay to watch a mechanic mount the tires. Perhaps there's a subtle technique you're missing that we haven't been able to convey via the internet. I have yet to meet a tire and rim that I can't get together with reasonably thin plastic tire levers and most combinations, once used, I can re-mount without levers.

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

sd5500 wrote:Just tried again and no go. I made sure the bead was in the center. I started at the valve and opposite. I have 4 other sets of clincher wheels (not tubleless) from 3 different manufactures and all of these tires I've tried go right on. I'm tapping out. Sorry, but tires should not go on this difficult. Tubeless is not for me I guess.

Hold on, when you placed an order, you specified "Not for tubeless". Boyd sent you tubeless rim tape and you are saying "tubeless is not for me" and trying to mount Michelin power comp tire? I'm confused.
I suggest you send a short video clip to Boyd of you unsuccessful attempts.
Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

:arrow: CBA = Chronic Bike Addiction
:arrow: OCD = Obsessive Cycling Disorder

sd5500

by sd5500

mpulsiv wrote:
sd5500 wrote:Just tried again and no go. I made sure the bead was in the center. I started at the valve and opposite. I have 4 other sets of clincher wheels (not tubleless) from 3 different manufactures and all of these tires I've tried go right on. I'm tapping out. Sorry, but tires should not go on this difficult. Tubeless is not for me I guess.

Hold on, when you placed an order, you specified "Not for tubeless". Boyd sent you tubeless rim tape and you are saying "tubeless is not for me" and trying to mount Michelin power comp tire? I'm confused.
I suggest you send a short video clip to Boyd of you unsuccessful attempts.

These wheels can be used for a tubeless setup. When buying, you specify if you want it setup for tubeless or not. I specified "No", so a normal rim strip was put on. I'm trying to mount normal clincher tires with a latex tube. When I stated "Tubeless is not for me I guess", I meant tubeless rims as I'm hearing and reading they can be harder to mount tires on. Sorry for the confusion.

sd5500

by sd5500

FINALLY SUCCESS! I went back to the turbo cottons as they were on rims before, ridden for a short time, but have been off rims for months. I finally realized that its BOTH beads need to be squeezed into the channel (sorry to those that mentioned that. I was only making sure the initial installed bead was in channel.).

The first one I installed had the loud popping of the beads seating, but still had a portion not seated. I pumped to about 130 and just left it there while working on the 2nd rim. 5 min later it popped, and its now seated properly with no bulge.

The 2nd one went on like the first, starting opposite the valve (again, thanks for that tip), squeezing both beads in the channel, and using the plastic tire lever for the last little portion. I should note that the pressure used with the tire lever was not significant at all. Once on, I brushed a little soapy water around both beads before pumping. This one seated fine with no popping at all.

Only concern I have is getting the tire seated after a flat on the road using a CO2 cartridge. Maybe I need a small bag of talcum powder or liquid soap in my saddle bag?

Lelandjt

by Lelandjt

Good to hear. Are you still using the rim strip with texture or did you put the smooth tubeless tape on? Will you be trying the other tires?
I've never had to do this with bicycle tires but for dirtbike tires I make sure they are warm and lube the bead with KY Liquid Lube. It really helps slide them on the rim and then slide up onto the shoulders during inflation.

F45

by F45

I would have got that tire on in like 10 seconds.

sd5500

by sd5500

Lelandjt wrote:Good to hear. Are you still using the rim strip with texture or did you put the smooth tubeless tape on? Will you be trying the other tires?
I've never had to do this with bicycle tires but for dirtbike tires I make sure they are warm and lube the bead with KY Liquid Lube. It really helps slide them on the rim and then slide up onto the shoulders during inflation.

I didn't try the corsas or power comps, as I'll run the 26 mm turbo cottons for now. I assume now that I think I have the technique, those other 2 tires will go on as well. I have an old set of rims lying around, so I may as well stretch the unused ones. Thanks for all the help everyone.

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

As was mentioned, lube man, lube. Us older folks know all about this problem. :P

Mix a little dish soap and water, smear it around the rim and then do your work. Makes the tire much easier to get on. And before you inflate, just drip/wipe some of the solution on the tire bed/shoulders of the rim. Everything will just slide into place.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.