23 vs 25 tyre

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Marin

by Marin

GP4000s are almost comically wide, 25s are 28mm and 28s are 31mm and will fit almost no bike with caliper brakes.

Do yourself a favor and get a cotton tire - Veloflex or Vittoria, the ride quality is just sooo much better, and they're fast enough too.

marshalus

by marshalus

Marin wrote:GP4000s are almost comically wide, 25s are 28mm and 28s are 31mm and will fit almost no bike with caliper brakes.

Do yourself a favor and get a cotton tire - Veloflex or Vittoria, the ride quality is just sooo much better, and they're fast enough too.

Which Veloflex or Vittoria clincher do you recommend? What about their size 25 is 25?
The good thing about GP4000s is millage. I put over 17000 km on my last set? How is it compared to Veloflex or Vittoria?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

DavidMLee

by DavidMLee

Only two mms but it actually is over 8 per cent increase in tire width.

It definitely makes a difference especially on a long ride.
Legend HT 9.5 RED 22
Colnago C60 Super Record
S-Works Tarmac 2016 eTap
S-Works Tarmac 2015 DA
Cervelo R3 2015 UT
Cervelo S2 2014 UT
Spesh Venge Elite 105

Marin

by Marin

marshalus wrote:Which Veloflex or Vittoria clincher do you recommend? What about their size 25 is 25?
The good thing about GP4000s is millage. I put over 17000 km on my last set? How is it compared to Veloflex or Vittoria?

Vittoria Corsa G+ 23s will measure 25mm, 25s are 27mm.

Veloflex Master/Corsa 23s and 25s are true to size i.e. 2mm narrower than Vittorias. I have multiple sets of both and think both are excellent. Veloflex are much lighter and a quite a bit cheaper.

fogman

by fogman

Is Veloflex still not recommending use of their tires on carbon clincher rims?
I have found that the Vredestein Fortezza Senso All Weather 25mm clinchers to measure the narrowest on 17c internal width rims. Mine measure 26mm on my Bora One 35 clinchers. They did not score well on the rolling resistance test though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by fogman on Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It's all downhill from here, except for the uphills.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

fogman wrote:Is Veloflex still not recommending use of their tires on carbon rims?

I think so. I don't use the Veloflex clinchers, but I've seen some getting torn up with the Vision carbon rims that a friend sells. Regardless of what clinchers you're using, it's a good idea to check to see how sharp the inside of the bead edge is on your carbon rims. Some are smoother than others. Continental has a warning about that as well. Yet the Conti 4000Sii's have not seemed to suffer the same fate on the same wheels.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ