FSE wheels?

Everything about building wheels, glueing tubs, etc.
AZR3
Posts: 645
Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:00 pm
Location: Az USA

by AZR3

For me personally I wanted a light weight shallow wheel, 25mm wide and same depth, and the one feature I regarded above others is brake track surface. I had emailed Madcow about the rims and he mentioned the brake track had a treated surface and said it was similar to Xentis wheels (which I love the braking on). After confirming that was the case with FSE I placed my order (with Extralite Cyber SP hubs) with Fairwheel Bikes, which if I would have upgraded to the new wider Xentis Squad 2.5 SilverLine clinchers would have been about 1k more, and I understand Xentis wheels are a premium wheel and likely if higher quality than FSE but it's hard to pass up a lighter wheel that's a bit wider (both externally and internally) and saves you over a grand.

by Weenie


User avatar
mpulsiv
Posts: 1020
Joined: Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:17 pm

by mpulsiv

AZR3 wrote:For me personally I wanted a light weight shallow wheel, 25mm wide and same depth, and the one feature I regarded above others is brake track surface. I had emailed Madcow about the rims and he mentioned the brake track had a treated surface and said it was similar to Xentis wheels (which I love the braking on). After confirming that was the case with FSE I placed my order (with Extralite Cyber SP hubs) with Fairwheel Bikes, which if I would have upgraded to the new wider Xentis Squad 2.5 SilverLine clinchers would have been about 1k more, and I understand Xentis wheels are a premium wheel and likely if higher quality than FSE but it's hard to pass up a lighter wheel that's a bit wider (both externally and internally) and saves you over a grand.


Fair enough. The reason I was asking is because I did not see the rims and/or wheels at https://fairwheelbikes.com/wheels/rims/ ... ory_page=1
Would you mind sharing the final cost? I would rather have Fairwheel lace these with my choice of hubs and 2x rear rather than 8 spokes radially laced on non-drive side directly from FSE. The only crème de la crème from FSE is the shallow 25mm due to lowest weight ~350 grams. In my humble opinion, anything deeper is not worth considering from them due to their pricing.
Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

:arrow: CBA = Chronic Bike Addiction
:arrow: OCD = Obsessive Cycling Disorder

AZR3
Posts: 645
Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:00 pm
Location: Az USA

by AZR3

I emailed Madcow and he was just starting to get rim shipments from FSE so I'm guessing he's waiting till he has a larger inventory before he lists them on his site. The rims were $400/ea and with Extralite Cyber SP hubs and Sapim CX-Ray spokes it came out to a bit over $1500 but obviously it would have been cheaper with different hubs.

AZR3
Posts: 645
Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:00 pm
Location: Az USA

by AZR3

Wheels arrived!! Threw them on the scale...well gently placed actually, and they came out to:
508.5g Front
608.9g Rear
1118.4g total w/o rim tape
Overall finish on the wheels is excellent. I've purchased a few Farsports wheels years ago and if these are from their factory they've upped their finish quality and QC since my last purchase. Interior of the rims is nicely uniformed and I haven't seen any rough spots or sharp edges. The logos are just basic stickers which is a plus and a minus. They're easy to remove if you want but make the wheels look a little cheap. They'd be better in my opinion if they were a matte black instead of glossy and the brake track has been etched to remove some of the resin and is a dull matte finish and the rest of the rim is glossy so the glossy stickers on glossy carbon doesn't look that great to me.
Ride review will have to wait till I'm healed up and can start riding again (probably sometime in June) but the initial look of the wheels is encouraging.
I'd also like to thank Madcow and Fairwheel Bikes for answering all my questions, and I had quite a few, quickly and even weighing the rims before my build, these guys are awesome!

CrankAddictsRich
Posts: 908
Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2016 1:39 pm
Contact:

by CrankAddictsRich

AZR3 wrote:Wheels arrived!! Threw them on the scale...well gently placed actually, and they came out to:
508.5g Front
608.9g Rear
1118.4g total w/o rim tape
Overall finish on the wheels is excellent. I've purchased a few Farsports wheels years ago and if these are from their factory they've upped their finish quality and QC since my last purchase. Interior of the rims is nicely uniformed and I haven't seen any rough spots or sharp edges. The logos are just basic stickers which is a plus and a minus. They're easy to remove if you want but make the wheels look a little cheap. They'd be better in my opinion if they were a matte black instead of glossy and the brake track has been etched to remove some of the resin and is a dull matte finish and the rest of the rim is glossy so the glossy stickers on glossy carbon doesn't look that great to me.
Ride review will have to wait till I'm healed up and can start riding again (probably sometime in June) but the initial look of the wheels is encouraging.
I'd also like to thank Madcow and Fairwheel Bikes for answering all my questions, and I had quite a few, quickly and even weighing the rims before my build, these guys are awesome!



Pics would be nice....
2016 Pactimo Brand Ambassador
http://www.Crankaddicts.cc
http://www.skratchlabs.com
2015 Specialized S-Works Allez
2015 Specialized Venge Pro
2014 Specialized S-Works Shiv TT

AZR3
Posts: 645
Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:00 pm
Location: Az USA

by AZR3

Figured I'd try and get decent pics later, didn't think anyone would want crappy pics from my kitchen

User avatar
sugarkane
in the industry
Posts: 1800
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:14 am
Location: SYD
Contact:

by sugarkane

vmajor wrote:
sugarkane wrote:So the comments have been closed and deleted thanks to Victors excessively commercially oriented comments and the Shit storm that created :beerchug: congrats Victor that's a cycling tips first :lol:



Haha, that's not entirely correct. I did try to discuss the failings in their understanding of how things work, and how to assess fact from fiction in private too. I emailed the editor, and Matt directly and never made any meaningful progress... I am not sure how presenting a product as being made using wet filament winding, while demonstrably not being filament wound is a good thing for anyone.

I should add that I only found out about that review and this thread on WW from people emaling me or tagging me on FB (CT review) and asking what the hell?



enough with the alternative facts dude.. from the horses mouth the comment section was closed because of you. if you want to discuss your own product over there then put your money where your mouth is and send in some rims/wheels.....

User avatar
vmajor
Shop Owner / Manufacturer
Posts: 417
Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2008 4:09 am
Location: Beringen, Belgium
Contact:

by vmajor

sugarkane wrote:

enough with the alternative facts dude.. from the horses mouth the comment section was closed because of you. if you want to discuss your own product over there then put your money where your mouth is and send in some rims/wheels.....


Nothing I said is an alternative fact, but whatever. I'll leave you with one more alternative fact:

Image

gravity
Posts: 565
Joined: Sat Feb 25, 2012 10:01 am
Location: Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

by gravity

Hey @sugarkane

I'm not sure why are you being so invested on the FSE wheels and Victor's claim on it not being a filament wound? What's in it for you? And does this have anything to do with you being a huge proponents of Curve? I sense a connection but I may be massively wrong.

flying
Posts: 1431
Joined: Mon Dec 19, 2005 9:16 am

by flying



I was getting ready to grab something alloy
But these 38mm's you link are pretty tempting at that price :roll:

User avatar
sugarkane
in the industry
Posts: 1800
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:14 am
Location: SYD
Contact:

by sugarkane

gravity wrote:Hey @sugarkane

I'm not sure why are you being so invested on the FSE wheels and Victor's claim on it not being a filament wound? What's in it for you? And does this have anything to do with you being a huge proponents of Curve? I sense a connection but I may be massively wrong.



have you read my posts.....?

i have stated the FSE rims are not filament wound.. and I've also stated that FSE are not fond of the truth.. but our other friend has taken to hijacking other peoples product reviews to push for commercial gain his own.. and not actually properly ready for market product in a relentless and shameless manner

no curve connection but i am friends with Madcow and if he's thinks the product is good then... there must be something to it hey :wink:

I've simply got to the bottom of the only closing of a cycling tips review comment section thats all :lol:

User avatar
mpulsiv
Posts: 1020
Joined: Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:17 pm

by mpulsiv

sugarkane wrote:
no curve connection but i am friends with Madcow and if he's thinks the product is good then... there must be something to it hey :wink:

I've simply got to the bottom of the only closing of a cycling tips review comment section thats all :lol:


I'm going to repeat this one more time "The only crème de la crème from FSE is the shallow 25mm due to lowest weight ~350 grams. In my humble opinion, anything deeper is not worth considering from them due to their pricing."

Fairwheelbikes is a boutique, money is no object with a selective inventory where weight is the pivot. Shallow 25mm FSE is impressive at ~350 grams. For example, Enve 2.2 https://fairwheelbikes.com/enve-2-2-carbon-clincher-rim cost twice as much at ~420 grams
These 25mm FSE will sell like hot cakes once it's up on the website.
Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

:arrow: CBA = Chronic Bike Addiction
:arrow: OCD = Obsessive Cycling Disorder

User avatar
ergott
Posts: 2738
Joined: Tue Apr 18, 2006 3:03 am
Location: Islip, NY
Contact:

by ergott

I just ordered a set of the 25mm tubulars for a personal build. I don't know when they will ship, but I'll report back my thoughts when I get them in. Bigger name carbon rim manfacturers seem to have drifted away from the low profile, WW option and it's a shame. I wish Enve didn't get rid of the 25mm and the Zipp 202 is also comparitively heavy. Not every single rim in a manufacturer's lineup has to pander to the aero crowd. The FSE 25mm tubular is supposed to be comfortably sub 300g. At that weight they have the potential to still make a strong set of wheels that's not too delicate for everyday riding.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

User avatar
vmajor
Shop Owner / Manufacturer
Posts: 417
Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2008 4:09 am
Location: Beringen, Belgium
Contact:

by vmajor

sugarkane wrote:
gravity wrote:Hey @sugarkane

I'm not sure why are you being so invested on the FSE wheels and Victor's claim on it not being a filament wound? What's in it for you? And does this have anything to do with you being a huge proponents of Curve? I sense a connection but I may be massively wrong.



have you read my posts.....?

i have stated the FSE rims are not filament wound.. and I've also stated that FSE are not fond of the truth.. but our other friend has taken to hijacking other peoples product reviews to push for commercial gain his own.. and not actually properly ready for market product in a relentless and shameless manner

no curve connection but i am friends with Madcow and if he's thinks the product is good then... there must be something to it hey :wink:

I've simply got to the bottom of the only closing of a cycling tips review comment section thats all :lol:


I tried to stay out of this thread, but you are making direct allegations about me and my business.

1. I did not hijack anyone's review. You can still see the comments on the CT page here, if you use Chrome this link will open directly: [url=view-source:https://cyclingtips.com/2017/03/fse-evo-35c-carbon-fibre-clincher-wheelset-review/]page source with comments[/url]. Read them yourself and also let me know who told you that I hijacked the comments for commercial gain?

Cyclingtips published the review claiming that FSE rims are filament wound when they did not appear to be so. I asked them and FSE to clarify their claim about wet filament winding because that is the process that we pioneered and the FSE rims did not appear to be using it. Neither provided any evidence and both thought it was OK to leave the review up there unedited with the unsupported key marketing claim of the rims being filament wound. This is our technology and our platform hence my great interest in this claim, especially since FSE rims, based on visual inspection, cannot be made using filament winding. It is impossible to wind a woven fabric.



2. Who told you and why would you say that Venn rims are not "properly ready for market"? Zak, you need to clarify this claim. I made no product performance, or market readiness claims against FSE, or even your company operations or performance. You are making a false statement about our products in public. Why? What is in fact your relationship with this fiasco? How do you even state that FSE is lying about their rims being filament wound? We launched our filament wound rims to market in 2015 and that same year collected a Eurobike award for Venn Rev 35 TCD wheels: http://www.eurobike-show.com/eb-en/eurobike-award/award-gallery-product/2015/1129/

As I said many times, we are focusing on the OEM market, and by my location you can ascertain that I am in Europe.



3. You are stating that I am behaving in a shameless manner. Zak, you are stating that FSE is lying about their core marketing platform, that happens to be the technology that we developed, and yet I am behaving in a shameless manner. How does that work? Lying is fine, but asking for evidence first in private and then in a public forum where both FSE and CT can participate and offer information, and defending our intellectual property dilution is being shameless... got it.

I did say that I only found out about the CT review, and even this thread after I was directly told by others.



If you are going to make negative public statements about me, or my company provide some proof please and ask for the same from your "source". I'd be very interested to see it. Alternatively do not do it, or ask me any questions in private. I can forward you all the emails, and better formatted comments so you can make up your own mind regarding the sequence of events and what actually happened.

V.

User avatar
sugarkane
in the industry
Posts: 1800
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:14 am
Location: SYD
Contact:

by sugarkane

Why would I give you my industry sources? So you can hassle them? You have a reputation for been very pushy. plenty of people are interested in your product so get it into independent view...

I don't understand why you feel threatened by the FSE product.. as I've already stated liying about the process or the product in general is riffe throughout the bike industry and at the end of the day the crap always floats to the surface


If you Wana get in touch feel free but I've read your published works and don't have any questions :beerchug:

by Weenie


Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post