Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Blog NEW Galleries NEW FAQ Contact About Impressum
It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:06 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 122 posts ]  Go to page Previous 15 6 7 8 9 Next
 Post subject: Re: FSE wheels?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:07 am 
Shop Owner / Manufacturer

Nefarious86 wrote:
Isn't winding meant to remove the variables?

I'll answer your question here if you do not mind: viewtopic.php?f=113&t=131368&start=165

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:16 am 
in the industry

vmajor wrote:
antonioiglesius wrote:
http://www.venn-cycling.com/index.php/rims/filament-wound-rims

:popcorn:

This is factually correct. Let me know if Lightweight will sell you rims and I will change our information immediately. We regularly update the website - update the rim dimensions for example to reflect our move to 21mm internal width, and update the 507 rim weights as we gather more data, especially for the filament wound Venn Rev 507 rims as there are a few more variables involved with the winding process.

lightweight have a rim only product due for release some time in the near future :wink:

Posted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:16 am 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:21 am 
Shop Owner / Manufacturer

haha, great. If I miss their release please someone let me know and I will update our site.

V.

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 12:49 am 

any more reviews or verification if these are really Filament wound

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 12:46 pm 

I've been riding my set of 55s for about a month now, probably around 400-500 miles and I am thoroughly enjoying them. I'm a bigger rider (6'2", 225 lbs) and have never felt like the strength or integrity of the wheel were in question. Dan was incredibly easy to work with and very responsive to all of my questions (this was my first set of carbon wheels on my Felt Z5 so I had an over abundance of questions).

I didn't get a chance to weigh them when they came in as I was too excited to get them on the bike and get on the saddle so I don't have technical data to give you in that respect.

Hope this helps.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 3:59 am 

madcow wrote:

We expect a small part of shipment to arrive next week with two more shipments over the next month (hopefully)

Well I'm certainly glad I stumbled upon this thread! I have been considering a set of the FSE 25's...

I am fortunate enough to live within walking distance to Fairwheel...having a local and trustworthy shop to purchase them through is a huge bonus.

For the 25's will higher spoke count options be available? Do you think there is any benefit to building some up with a 28h rear?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 4:20 am 

Anyone put some km into these rims yet?

I'd love these 25s if I wasnt such a fat arse hah.
https://fairwheelbikes.com/fse-carbon-t ... wheelsets/

Bang for buck the 45mm option looks nice for the weight limit

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:21 pm 

I've been riding a set of 25 tubular rims laced to Wheels Manufacturing hubs (formerly Alchemy). They are very stiff and can easily be my everyday set of wheels. With CX-Rays and DT Aero Comps for the right rear my set is 1022g.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:20 am 

How's the braking? Id love 25s but the 80kg limit kills that idea..

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:04 pm 

I love the braking feel. They are easy to modulate and plenty of raw power if need be.

No wet experience yet.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:59 pm 

Anyone have recent experience with the Clincher version of the FSE wheels? How do they work with tubeless tires?

:)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 10:11 am 

Wanting to revive this post to get a little more feedback on the performance of these wheels.

How are the hubs? Would it be worth doing a custom build if the stock hubs are no good? Do (the deeper models) 'feel' as fast as the major brands? Crosswind stability? What are some real world weights?

Bianchi Oltre XR4 |BMC SLR01 16' |Cannondale SS Evo HM 12'| Focus Izalco Max | Ridley Helium SL 15' | Basso Diamante 15' | Bianchi Oltre XR2 | Scapin Dyseys S8 | Time ZXRS | Giant TCR SL 12' | Ridley Noah 08' | Look 585 | Cervelo Soloist SLC

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 3:54 pm 

AZR3 wrote:
Little update, asked Madcow if he could weight my rims (25mm clincher) before building up my wheels and he was super quick in replying with weights, front is 358.4g in 20 hole drilling and rear is 356.9g in 24 hole drilling. Pretty close to FSE's claim of 350g :thumbup:

Both the FSE website and the Fairwheel site list these as 390g. Does anyone know if they changed something in the build process or have they simply upped the number to reflect accurate weight?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:14 pm 

My experience with FSE Wheels is as follows and it has not been a good one.

I originally learned about FSE wheels from youtube videos posted by former pro racer Norm Alvis. Alvis is one of their Brand Ambassadors. The company claims that these wheels use a new carbon filament winding process that makes the wheels lighter, stronger and stiffer than other carbon wheels. I purchased these wheels based on these claims and testimonial of Norm Alvis. After ordering some wheels I was informed that it would take over a month to receive them and as a courtesy Norm Alvis lent me a set of FSE clincher 69s for use in the interim.

I used the 69s in my Cervelo S5 for a couple races and training rides and then took them with me to Masters Nationals in Georgia. The rear wheel 69 blew out at the rim track during the road race (photos attached). I informed Dan Kellerby at FSE of the rim failure and he was very apologetic and they were sent back to him. Be aware that I never used the FSE 69s on a mountain ride and the course in Augusta was moderately hilly. I was told at the time that the 69s were "prototypes" and therefore not a fully tested set but that not to worry the new FSE tubeless wheels would not be a concern.

I purchased a set of 45/55 tubeless clinchers and 79//79 tubeless clinchers - no holes. I have used tubeless tires for many years and I have never found them easy to install. I mounted Schwalbe Pro One 25s on these rims. I found it extremely difficult to get the tires mounted but after much struggle and aid of a compressor I was able to seat the tires. I used the 79s for flatter rides and the 45/55s for overall days but rarely on steep climbing days (I live in Colorado).

The rear 55 clincher rim that I purchased also had a failure at the rim braking track (photos attached). I informed Dan Kellerby at FSE of this issue and assumed I would be covered under warranty as these wheels are not even six months old - that is not the case. Dan and FSE are now claiming that the wheels are failing because of "improper braking". I have never heard the phrase used before and not sure what in fact "improper braking" is but I am confident that the wheel failure has nothing to do with that. I have raced for years on Zipp Carbon Firecrest wheels, 808s, 404s and 202s. I have many more miles on the Zipp wheels and never had any rim failures or braking issues. I have used my Zipp 202s for many, many races and training rides with long descents in summer conditions - NO ISSUES WHAT SO EVER! If I was riding brakes, I would never have a race result, and the Zipp's would have failed long ago. I have had these FSE 55s for less than six months and they have been used sparingly as I have been using my 202s for most climbs. The FSE 55 rear rim failed after just a few mountain rides. The pads used on my bike were the carbon specific pads supplied by FSE for these wheels.

FSE is not standing behind their product and trying to shift blame for failure. I question the quality control and manufacturing standards of their product. If the failure had been more dramatic during a high speed descent the consequences could have been severe. After my experience and their refusal to warranty the product I would warn anyone against buying these wheels.

Link to pictures

http://aataxhelp.com/2017/11/fse-rim-failure/

Last edited by CORider on Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:19 pm 

I would like to hear Dan/FSE's side of the story.

Posted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:19 pm 

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 122 posts ]  Go to page Previous 15 6 7 8 9 Next