FSE wheels?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

kulivontot

by kulivontot

Fse is the same as far sports pretty sure. There are plenty of threads if you search

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

romalor

by romalor

we speak about them already on two topics

FMB51

by FMB51

The owner of my LBS was talking them up the last time I was in there. He is bringing them in stock. If memory serves (less and less of a sure thing) his quote was"...best wheels for the money I have seen in a long time. Not ENVE, BUT also no where near ENVE money"

madcow
Shop Owner

by madcow

FSE is not Far Sports.

We've been testing them for a while and have been quite happy with them. Enough so that we've placed a pretty large order and will be offering custom builds on them.

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

madcow wrote:FSE is not Far Sports.

We've been testing them for a while and have been quite happy with them. Enough so that we've placed a pretty large order and will be offering custom builds on them.

interesting... the plot thickens.

AZR3

by AZR3

I'm on the list for a set of 25 clinchers with extralite hubs so hopefully when Madcow gets some in stock I'll be able to give some feedback. I've also emailed FSE a few times and incase anyone was wondering the rims have a laser treatment to add texture to the brake track to improve braking.

mag

by mag

If you look at domain whois records for farsportsusa.com and fse.bike you'll find them unusually similar. ;-)
EDIT: compare these more detailed records (not only registrar, but also registrant is identical):
http://www.siteleaks.com/www.fse.bike
http://www.siteleaks.com/www.farsportsusa.com

Also if you check when was the Far Sports company established and compare that with the "about" info at fse.bike - it's pretty much the same again.

Another one: Some older Far Sports rims & hubs had the very same FSE logo that can be seen on the FSE rims now - example -> http://road.cc/content/blog/187520-far- ... els-update

Is all of this just a coincidence?

I'd say it's their production that they market separately (probably because it's all being rather managed by their US distributor instead of the Chinese mother company).

F45

by F45

So FSE is Far Sports.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

detective mag !
2024 BMC TeamMachine R Building
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL- getting aero look makeover
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault - completed project, full Xplr package

spartan

by spartan

maybe
far sports = toyota
FSE = lexus
Current Rides:

2023 Tarmac SL7 Di2 9270
ex 2019 S-works SL6
ex 2018 Trek Madone SLR Disc
ex 2016 Giant TCRAdvanced Sl
ex 2012 Trek Madone7

indobesar

by indobesar

mag wrote:

If you look at domain whois records for farsportsusa.com and fse.bike you'll find them unusually similar. ;-)
EDIT: compare these more detailed records (not only registrar, but also registrant is identical):
http://www.siteleaks.com/www.fse.bike
http://www.siteleaks.com/www.farsportsusa.com

Also if you check when was the Far Sports company established and compare that with the "about" info at fse.bike - it's pretty much the same again.

Another one: Some older Far Sports rims & hubs had the very same FSE logo that can be seen on the FSE rims now - example -> http://road.cc/content/blog/187520-far- ... els-update

Is all of this just a coincidence?

I'd say it's their production that they market separately (probably because it's all being rather managed by their US distributor instead of the Chinese mother company).

Good research! :thumbup:

Also, previously you could choose with/without FSE logo on your rim. Has been changed to Farsports.

kulivontot

by kulivontot

I've got a marketing email from Angela at farsports in 2014 referring to "Cyclocross hub options: FSE360(Our FSE brand hub)"
With a picture of a hub with FSE written on it.
It's possible they are different companies that work together or just a coincidence. Maybe just email Kyle fu and see what the deal is?

TheKaiser

by TheKaiser

spartan wrote:maybe
far sports = toyota
FSE = lexus

That could be a very good analogy. We see it in the bike world all the time too, like with Tektro/TRP, CST/Maxxis, etc...

Some companies will try to hide it, and then when called on it will try to say "When we said we aren't the same company, we meant we have separate employees dedicated to each line", but the more honest ones are transparent and simply say that one is our high performance aftermarket line, and the other is our high volume OEM line, or whatever the case may be.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

madcow
Shop Owner

by madcow

The Toyota / Lexus analogy is probably the closest description but isn't quite accurate.

The structure of these companies can get a little confusing, but for basic understanding FSE is not Far Sports, but there are some connections. It's takes a good half hour to explain all the connections and structure but I can give you the condensed version hopefully in a way that won't say anything that isn't suppose to be said, but with enough information to be clear.

Far Sports is owned by two people but operates under the shadow of a larger company which also parents over several other far east bike brand factories that are well known. This parent has the IP rights to the filament winding technology. Far sports in their factory make far sports rims and they use conventional layup not winding and will continue to do it that way.

Dan who is an owner of FSE had worked with Far Sports in the past to help set up U.S. distribution for Far Sports and to provide North American support for the brand. Hence the domain registry for Far sports USA being in his name.

FSE is an owner group that consists of Far Sports, Dan, and a 3rd party. Together they use a variation of the winding technology of the larger parent... But Far sports does not manufacture the rims. The rims are made in a separate factory. Now you can see the connection, this FSE owners group are people that were brought together while working with/for Far Sports including the owners of Far sports.

So basically Far sports is a partial owner of FSE but does not produce the rims in their Far Sports factory for FSE. Though they do contribute in other capacities as do each of the other owners in the group.

Regardless of what some may say the rims are indeed filament wound. However they look different because after winding they are covered, and there's more than an aesthetic reason for that, which I'm not able to talk about.

As for the FSE labeled hubs, these can be thought of as prototypes. They were developed before FSE was launched as a separate brand. Though since those FSE branded Far Sports hubs, they have had some changes. Far Sports will not use the FSE brand on their hubs since that will be used on the hubs that go into the FSE rims. Though there are some existing Far Sports hubs with the FSE logos on them.