FSE wheels?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

vmajor
Shop Owner / Manufacturer

by vmajor

sugarkane wrote:Why would I give you my industry sources? So you can hassle them? You have a reputation for been very pushy. plenty of people are interested in your product so get it into independent view...

I don't understand why you feel threatened by the FSE product.. as I've already stated liying about the process or the product in general is riffe throughout the bike industry and at the end of the day the crap always floats to the surface

If you Wana get in touch feel free but I've read your published works and don't have any questions :beerchug:

....no I explained. It is evidently very easy to make claims, not so easy to substantiate them. It would be better for everyone if claims would be accompanied by at least some sensible form of evidence.

As to me having a reputation with being pushy, no that is not true. I have a reputation for being confrontational and being happy to engage in very public debates with anyone on topics that push my buttons. However, I also have a reputation for making sense and knowing what I am talking about.

...perhaps being less confrontational when I started emailing CT would have had better results, but I was really annoyed and surprised that they published that review. I am too close to the filament winding technology and manufacturing (and manufactures) in general so perhaps I did not realise that what is obvious to me was not obvious to them. I am however disappointed now that they nuked the comments for anyone that is not a hax0r, since casual consumers will not be adequately informed about their potential purchase.

Regarding being threatened by FSE. I am not threatened exactly, just annoyed that there is no perceived problem with making easily disprovable claims, and relying on consumers' ignorance to make the claims appear credible. It also has to do with the history of the whole event, and my hot button with not being OK with nonsense and random claims that are the norm in the bike industry, especially if such nonsense intersects with my business interests. It is why I started Velocite and then Venn.

From the About Us section on Velocite site: "We will not tell you fanciful stories just to sell you something. There are plenty of alternatives in the market who do that already."

Regarding reviews, we have some in EU publications, but will get more done once we build up enough inventory to meet even the current demand. I do not want to be in a position where we are unable to supply. This is OK with OEM buyers who are used to waiting, but not with consumers.

V.

kulivontot

by kulivontot

Dude just let it go. Just digging yourself a hole.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

moonoi

by moonoi

kulivontot wrote:Dude just let it go. Just digging yourself a hole.

How so? He is clearly and articulately explaining his position backed by evidence and explanation, everyone else is just name calling...

kulivontot

by kulivontot

Sometimes letting people know you're right isn't as important as actually being right. Nobody has ever been arguing, but 3 pages later we're still talking about the same thing.

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

I give kudos to Victor again. He is not here to lure customers. I appreciate the input.
Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

:arrow: CBA = Chronic Bike Addiction
:arrow: OCD = Obsessive Cycling Disorder

moonoi

by moonoi

Well thats because there hasn't been a definitive answer as to whether the FSE wheels use the filament winding process as advertised, and if so l, why do they have to cover it with a cosmetic layer.

We have Victor clearly explaining why he thinks it isn't, then another also stating it isn't but refusing to back it up with evidence and claiming that's ok because everyone in the bike industry lies anyway and then going on to make personal accusations against Victor. Normally the kind of person who does this, actually doesn't have evidence of the sort.

What this has also showed me is that I can't trust review to come from the Cycling Tips website. Instead of trying to properly answer the questions raised by Victor and others (and sorry asking for confirmation/proof that they are filament wound is not commercially advising anyone else's product), they close and hide the comments. That is not a behavior I expect from a site that I previously trusted. I won't be paying any attention to CT reviews going forward because of this.

If Victor is wrong, prove it, if not then the article should either be withdrawn or updated to reflect the fact.

antonioiglesius

by antonioiglesius

It seems pretty straightforward: buy a set, cut the wheels, photograph evidence if anything, then get media to write about it or even just post on some blog. Is the real question: why isn't this being done?

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

antonioiglesius wrote:It seems pretty straightforward: buy a set, cut the wheels, photograph evidence if anything, then get media to write about it or even just post on some blog. Is the real question: why isn't this being done?

Who wants to waste over $1100 to cut the wheels? Is there a reason we have to dedicate so much effort to seek truth? How many of you reached out to FSE directly and got concrete answers from them?
Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

:arrow: CBA = Chronic Bike Addiction
:arrow: OCD = Obsessive Cycling Disorder

antonioiglesius

by antonioiglesius

You're probably right :) Filament wound rims honestly don't seem to be that big of a deal anyway, we all just spent pages discussing.... nothing very much. I'm going to go ride my bike...

gravity

by gravity

I think filament wound is in fact a big of a deal. If the technology can produce a product that is just as good, as strong and as light and with it being way way cheaper than conventional carbon -- I'll take this anyday.

I also will look into Madcow's Fairwheel wheels if I were in the market to buy since Madcow has a good reputation for carrying out great products. I hope he isn't wrong about the rim being filament wound. So this conversation is indeed important for us.

antonioiglesius

by antonioiglesius

Agreed, except.... AFAIK, the price is not going down. If that's true, and the cost of manufacturing is lower, whose wallets are being padded? Besides the possibility of price going down, there's nothing else about filament winding that's different or better than what we have today. IIRC, the manufacturing of Lightweight's latest rims have a degree of automation, which lowers the price. That's plainly visible and of immediate benefit to the consumers. I don't see that to be the case for filament wound rims.

erik$

by erik$

Lightweight rims appear to be filament wound http://bergsport360.de/lightweight-wegweiser-in-die-zukunft/
There are some benefits about filament winding, other than possible price decrease, if you care to read what Victor Major writes about the subject.

vmajor
Shop Owner / Manufacturer

by vmajor

antonioiglesius wrote:http://www.venn-cycling.com/index.php/rims/filament-wound-rims

:popcorn:

This is factually correct. Let me know if Lightweight will sell you rims and I will change our information immediately. We regularly update the website - update the rim dimensions for example to reflect our move to 21mm internal width, and update the 507 rim weights as we gather more data, especially for the filament wound Venn Rev 507 rims as there are a few more variables involved with the winding process.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

Isn't winding meant to remove the variables?
Using Tapatalk