FSE wheels?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

AZR3

by AZR3

I’d also like to hear what Madcow has to say as I bought a set through Fairwheel and I know theyve been selling a lot of them, I’d imagine he’d have some insight into failure rates or issues

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

Use the tapatalk app to upload the photos.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
Using Tapatalk

madcow
Shop Owner

by madcow

AZR3 wrote:I’d also like to hear what Madcow has to say as I bought a set through Fairwheel and I know theyve been selling a lot of them, I’d imagine he’d have some insight into failure rates or issues

I can't speak to the wheels mentioned above as we had no involvement with that. What I can say is that we've done a few hundred sets and so far we've not had a single complaint or warranty issue with the rims. I will also say that no company is completely separated from melting problems with carbon clinchers, we've seen melted clinchers from just about every company (Reynolds, Zipp, Enve etc...) Any carbon clincher can be used to a point where the temperatures exceed what they can handle. To me the thing that matters is the percentage of rims that have these problems and how they are handled when they do arise. So far the percentage of FSE rims that we've sold and have had a problem is nil, which is obviously a pretty good result. However I would expect at some point to see a problem with one, and if we did it would of course be replaced under warranty, just as it is with all the other carbon clinchers we handle. If we feel we see this too often we dis-continue working with that brand (as we have in some cases).

CORider

by CORider

Check out this video of wheels tested by Alto Cycling. FSE had rim failure at the lowest temperature of the ten wheels tested. Explains a lot.

https://youtu.be/OlZvFPdLulI

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

CORider wrote:Check out this video of wheels tested by Alto Cycling. FSE had rim failure at the lowest temperature of the ten wheels tested. Explains a lot.

Saw that video this morning and noted that... I'm so intrigued but the fact that these wheels had this big push when they came out and then NOTHING! and it seems that all there talk of being filament wound is just hocus pokus.

ergott

by ergott

CrankAddictsRich wrote:
CORider wrote:Check out this video of wheels tested by Alto Cycling. FSE had rim failure at the lowest temperature of the ten wheels tested. Explains a lot.

Saw that video this morning and noted that... I'm so intrigued but the fact that these wheels had this big push when they came out and then NOTHING! and it seems that all there talk of being filament wound is just hocus pokus.

I just rode mine last weekend (25mm tubular). They're great. I don't feel like I have to baby them in any way.

CORider

by CORider

I think a 25 tubular will have less adverse reaction to braking than larger profile clinchers. In my case a 69 clincher rear and 55 clincher rear failed. The fronts did not fail in either situation. I have a theory, I was running these wheels tubeless (Schwalbe Pro One 25c 80psi) which is known to place increased force at the bead (tubular of course has no bead). My Cervelo S5 has a shape that greatly shields the rear rim and therefore likely limits the air flow relative to the front. Given FSE is shown to fail at a relatively low temperature (60deg F less) compared to Zipp Firecrest this could explain why these fail when I have never had an issue with the Zipp wheels(see Alto Cycling wheel test). https://youtu.be/OlZvFPdLulI

That FSE refused to warranty these wheels after only six months says a lot about the company. Anybody considering a purchase should be wary. I would suggest doing a search on Far Sports East (history of wheel failure) and Far Sports as I believe there is a connection. Take a look at the FSE hub. Regardless of any connection if you buy them through Fairwheel at least you have a shop to help you. I purchased these direct from website and they were shipped to me direct from China (they don't stock inventory in the US). They did not honor their "2 year warranty" Don't believe the hype. I was a sucker.

kavitator

by kavitator

what brake pads were they use in this video?

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

kavitator wrote:

what brake pads were they use in this video?

Swiss stop, black prince.

welchy

by welchy

Can anybody help here in working out where I can get a rim only disc rim/rear rim if any different. I got hung up on finding who owned what and all that balls. Just need a rear deep rim circa 60mm.

If anybody has a good option let me know, couldn't find info on farsports of rim only option.

I'm UK based but happy to buy from Europe/Far East. Always struggle with import from US>

Thanks All!