Road disc wheels - making the jump, what should I get?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

gerryc89

by gerryc89

I have just picked up a CAAD12 disc. I'm using mechanical Super Record with TRP brakes.

Since this is my first movement into disc brakes I am unsure of the lay of the land. One of the key advantages of disc brakes for me was the increased tyre width possibilities. I ride mostly in Belgium where cobbles and poor road quality can sometimes be hard to avoid. However, this said, I don't want anything massively heavy and 28mm tyres would probably be the maximum I'd go to. I also know that I want a low profile aluminium rim, but beyond that I am flexible.

I have investigated the multiple different Mavic Ksyrium wheels which are available. I also stumbled across the "Allroad" version which comes with wider tyres and hub body. I've also seen some Fulcrum wheels.

However, since this is a rather different offering to what I'm used to I thought I'd ask for some opinions. I'm open to most things and have a budget of around ~£6/700

Many thanks :)

jeffy

by jeffy

go handbuilt especially for your roads. in my experience alot of factory wheels shirk on spokes for minimal marketing-aimed weight savings sacrificing strength and durability. Pacenti SL25 or similar with spoke count front /rear 24/24 CX Ray on dt240 or dt350 (and would likely be ~1600g for the cheaper 350 option) could be had for your budget and would serve you VERY well. one advantage of the dt hubs is the endcaps are easily switchable (and available) between the various standards and you would not be stranded with QR hubs and a possible future incompatible frame

Seeing as your CAAD12 have QR you could also go for DT "thrubolt" endcaps and skewers which is an interesting (and i found effective) product (basically thru axle style you used in QR dropouts)

i am sure there are others, but i had good experience with this guy

https://www.facebook.com/WheelTec/

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jfranci3

by jfranci3

For cheaper wheels, I've got a set of Stans Grails 32spoke that I'm happy with. I've used them with 23c, 25c, and 35c tires. I just bought a set of DT Swiss r32 from starbike for road only duty. I'd also look for wheelsets built with the AL33

I think the best bang for the buck/euro are Fulcrum Quattro 40 Carbons, which can had for $800 if you work at it. Low spoke count (21) and the spokes are a PITA to source & replace. Zipp 30s are good option.

Broady

by Broady

Hunt are a good shout.

NiFTY

by NiFTY

Extra bandages?
Evo 4.9kg SL3 6.64kg Slice RS 8.89kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110579" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

damn Nifty, I'm not even sure that that is funny.

Handbuilt wheels are nice, the thrubolts sound good. also, get some nice hand made tires like challenge paris roubaix with latex tubes. Or go the extremely reliable way and get the Schwalbe pro one tubeless if your wheels can handle tubeless. I have to say I'm a big advocate for road tubeless.
'Tape was made to wrap your GF's gifts, NOT hold a freakin tire on.'
If you want to see 'meh' content of me and my bike you can follow my life in pictures here!

silvercivic27

by silvercivic27

Hed

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

silvercivic27 wrote:Hed

Can you please elaborate? This is something we can't work with.
If you want to see 'meh' content of me and my bike you can follow my life in pictures here!

silvercivic27

by silvercivic27

Frankie - B wrote:
silvercivic27 wrote:Hed

Can you please elaborate? This is something we can't work with.

Hed Ardennes Plus SL Disc Brakes. That's what I would buy if I were in the position of the original poster.

https://www.hedcycling.com/ardennes-plus-sl-disc-brake/

Miller

by Miller

gerryc89 wrote:I have just picked up a CAAD12 disc. I'm using mechanical Super Record with TRP brakes.

Since you're going to be using discs with Campag - good! - why not seek out the new disc version of the Zonda wheelset? Only poss issue I see there could be getting a wheel with Campag spline since I have the impression that the first sets to market are in Shimano spline only.

gerryc89

by gerryc89

Oh wow - I did not know they existed! Frantically google's....
Last edited by Frankie - B on Sun Mar 26, 2017 7:24 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: deleted the quote as this is a reply.

gerryc89

by gerryc89

Frankie - B wrote:damn Nifty, I'm not even sure that that is funny.

Handbuilt wheels are nice, the thrubolts sound good. also, get some nice hand made tires like challenge paris roubaix with latex tubes. Or go the extremely reliable way and get the Schwalbe pro one tubeless if your wheels can handle tubeless. I have to say I'm a big advocate for road tubeless.

Thanks Frankie. Could you give me some practical thoughts on road tubeless? I remember 5 years ago installing them in work but I have not been exposed to them since.

gerryc89

by gerryc89

jeffy wrote:go handbuilt especially for your roads. in my experience alot of factory wheels shirk on spokes for minimal marketing-aimed weight savings sacrificing strength and durability. Pacenti SL25 or similar with spoke count front /rear 24/24 CX Ray on dt240 or dt350 (and would likely be ~1600g for the cheaper 350 option) could be had for your budget and would serve you VERY well. one advantage of the dt hubs is the endcaps are easily switchable (and available) between the various standards and you would not be stranded with QR hubs and a possible future incompatible frame

Seeing as your CAAD12 have QR you could also go for DT "thrubolt" endcaps and skewers which is an interesting (and i found effective) product (basically thru axle style you used in QR dropouts)

i am sure there are others, but i had good experience with this guy

https://www.facebook.com/WheelTec/

This is really interesting! I did not know these existed. I very much like this idea and could consider this for any of the different options

NiFTY

by NiFTY

Frankie - B wrote:damn Nifty, I'm not even sure that that is funny.

Tongue firmly in cheek due to the hysteria in the pro peloton.
Evo 4.9kg SL3 6.64kg Slice RS 8.89kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110579" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

What practical thoughts are you looking for. I can share a wealth of information with you on how to set them up and how they ride, but it before I spill the beans it is easier to know what you are looking for.

@nifty. phew, i'm happy about that. Next time please use an emoticon to point this out. Emotions are so easily lost in written text. Thanks!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com