Sub 1000€, 100% German made 1370g Carbon Clinchers

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

ak47

by ak47

That's a nice price, so close to anything from China I wouldn't bother with an asian import. I hope they will release tubular version.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

madcow
Shop Owner

by madcow

Sorry for hijacking the thread, it was unintentional. I was just trying to point out that the filament winding for rims is getting more popular and more companies are beginning to manufacture this way which happens in many cases to be a less expensive process. Will start a new thread later to discuss others.

Svetty

by Svetty

I might be missing something but why would I buy these - admittedly attractive sounding - German carbon rims when I can buy DA C24 wheels weighing the same - with aluminium braking tracks - for less money?

twostroke

by twostroke

DA C24 has a fragile rim (thickness is extremely low), and nipples are prone to fail...

Kumppa

by Kumppa

Looks like Schmolke is using same method to product their rims. Would be nice to if they start selling these individually.

stormur

by stormur

ak47 wrote:That's a nice price, so close to anything from China I wouldn't bother with an asian import. I hope they will release tubular version.

It's 50% ( about-ish ) more than "reputable" China... so not "close". And no one has it yet, so product is unknown.

trust in "German tech" can be very -unpleasantly- surprising ;) . I just throw to garbage 2 examples of it :evil:

I don't say it's bad thing- not at all, but before real life NOT PAID users reviews.... just another wheels. Outlets in EU have quiet often DT Swiss wheels for less ( R38/55 T/C )... .

I would re-phrase you : it's so close to reputable brands and long time known products, so I won't even bother ;) .
Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company.
Mark Twain

I can be wrong, and have plenty of examples for that ;)

spartan

by spartan

Madcow,

how is the durability of carbon-ti hubs vs the gold standard dt240s?
braking of filament rims vs zipp?

this company is also selling fw wheelsets at great prices for americans.

www.fsewheels.com
Current Rides:

2023 Tarmac SL7 Di2 9270
ex 2019 S-works SL6
ex 2018 Trek Madone SLR Disc
ex 2016 Giant TCRAdvanced Sl
ex 2012 Trek Madone7

ak47

by ak47

stormur wrote:It's 50% ( about-ish ) more than "reputable" China... so not "close". And no one has it yet, so product is unknown.

That's part of the story. The hassle with shipping, possible import taxes, dealing with chinese carbon sellers and warranty is another one. For a good quality chinese carbon clinchers from a reputable seller with shipping costs and modern rim you have to pay around 650-700 Euros or so. I'd rather get some german stuff even if I was going to be some "early adopter". Yes, we don't know what the final result of these new wheels is, but at least if there are some problems you do not have to deal with some guys on the other part of the globe who have problems in decent english communication.
Last edited by ak47 on Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PrimO

by PrimO

I bought Fulcrum Quattro carbons last September for slightly more than the BC wheels but if they had been available back then I would definitely have plumped for them over the fulcrums. I love the minimalistic graphics and that they're slightly deeper than the Quattros (by 5mm) and lighter by 120g which is a considerable weight saving!

Tempted now to sell the fulcrums and give these wheels a go...damn!

Edit: Just looked at the shipping costs and when the tax is adjusted and you add shipping to Ireland, the cost jumps to €959 making them €30 more than what I paid for the Quattros. Think i'll just keep the quattros as the Fletch wheels require rim tape (whereas the quattros don't) and so that adds on another 20-40g depending on what tape is used and so the differences between the two become much smaller and less attractive.

Marin

by Marin

German is my native language, and for me, the non removeable brand decals under paint are a definite no-go.

The Name is quite polarising, some people love it, some find it ridiculous - like some of the Lightweight product names, which I also wouldn't want to see on my bike.

3Pio

by 3Pio

ak47 wrote:
stormur wrote:It's 50% ( about-ish ) more than "reputable" China... so not "close". And no one has it yet, so product is unknown.

That's part of the story. The hassle with shipping, possible import taxes, dealing with chinese carbon sellers and warranty is another one. For a good quality chinese carbon clinchers from a reputable seller with shipping costs and modern rim you have to pay around 650-700 Euros or so. I'd rather get some german stuff even if I was going to be some "early adopter". Yes, we don't know what the final result of these new wheels is, but at least if there are some problems you have to deal with some guys on the other part of the globe who have problems in decent english communication.

Im ordering often from the bike-components.de including two pairs of wheelset. Even when there was some problems, at the end they was fair and professional.

I can recommend them based on my experience for service, still someone will have to be early tester of this wheelset :) and share his experience.

AZR3

by AZR3

madcow wrote:We're pretty excited to get those going in full force. We've been slowly trickling out some sets over the last few months, but the first good sized batch of rims should arrive in the next 2 weeks.

Any specs you can divulge at the moment....width external/internal or depth(s)?

erik$

by erik$

It is worth mentioning that the process used for these rims is not filament winding, which is what Venn and FSE are doing, but braiding. I'm not saying one is better than the other, just pointing out that they are different :)

In filament winding the carbon filament is going through a resin bath and then wound onto a mandrel to get the filaments to form a rim shape. The filament is kept under tension during the entire process and the resin cures when the winding is finished. I assume they remove this mandrel somehow after winding. Most likely they make the rim bed and brake track separately and bond everything together afterwards. It is quite hard to find pictures of the process.

For braided rims dry fibre, from several spools, is wound around a core to make up the shape of the rim. The "dry fibre rim" is then put in a mould, resin is injected and heat and pressure is applied. The core is removed afterwards. It might seem like they can make the rim bed and brake tracks in the same process, but not sure on that one.

Erik
Mechanical engineer working with filament winding of carbon fibre pressure vessels

hambini

by hambini

Call me a cynic,

If they assemble the wheels in Germany, they can say "made in Germany" because they add more value to the wheel. It's like Pinarello making their frames in Taiwan and painting them in Italy - "Made in Italy". I can't believe they can make a carbon wheelset for €899 and still be competitive unless their margin was tiny.
Hambini Aeronautical Engineer, Polluting YouTube since 2016 - views expressed are my own...

Marin

by Marin

The rims are braided in Munich

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com