Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Blog NEW Galleries NEW FAQ Contact About Impressum
It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:58 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:27 am 

That's a nice price, so close to anything from China I wouldn't bother with an asian import. I hope they will release tubular version.

Posted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:27 am 

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:02 pm 
Shop Owner

Sorry for hijacking the thread, it was unintentional. I was just trying to point out that the filament winding for rims is getting more popular and more companies are beginning to manufacture this way which happens in many cases to be a less expensive process. Will start a new thread later to discuss others.

Fair Wheel Blog

Instagram

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:38 pm 

I might be missing something but why would I buy these - admittedly attractive sounding - German carbon rims when I can buy DA C24 wheels weighing the same - with aluminium braking tracks - for less money?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:49 pm 

DA C24 has a fragile rim (thickness is extremely low), and nipples are prone to fail...

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:33 pm 

Looks like Schmolke is using same method to product their rims. Would be nice to if they start selling these individually.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:44 pm 

ak47 wrote:
That's a nice price, so close to anything from China I wouldn't bother with an asian import. I hope they will release tubular version.

It's 50% ( about-ish ) more than "reputable" China... so not "close". And no one has it yet, so product is unknown.

trust in "German tech" can be very -unpleasantly- surprising ;) . I just throw to garbage 2 examples of it :evil:

I don't say it's bad thing- not at all, but before real life NOT PAID users reviews.... just another wheels. Outlets in EU have quiet often DT Swiss wheels for less ( R38/55 T/C )... .

I would re-phrase you : it's so close to reputable brands and long time known products, so I won't even bother ;) .

I can be wrong, and have plenty of examples for that ;)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 3:26 am 

Madcow,

how is the durability of carbon-ti hubs vs the gold standard dt240s?
braking of filament rims vs zipp?

this company is also selling fw wheelsets at great prices for americans.

www.fsewheels.com

2017 Giant TCR Advanced SL 0 DI2 9150

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:43 am 

stormur wrote:
It's 50% ( about-ish ) more than "reputable" China... so not "close". And no one has it yet, so product is unknown.

That's part of the story. The hassle with shipping, possible import taxes, dealing with chinese carbon sellers and warranty is another one. For a good quality chinese carbon clinchers from a reputable seller with shipping costs and modern rim you have to pay around 650-700 Euros or so. I'd rather get some german stuff even if I was going to be some "early adopter". Yes, we don't know what the final result of these new wheels is, but at least if there are some problems you do not have to deal with some guys on the other part of the globe who have problems in decent english communication.

Last edited by ak47 on Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:55 am 

I bought Fulcrum Quattro carbons last September for slightly more than the BC wheels but if they had been available back then I would definitely have plumped for them over the fulcrums. I love the minimalistic graphics and that they're slightly deeper than the Quattros (by 5mm) and lighter by 120g which is a considerable weight saving!

Tempted now to sell the fulcrums and give these wheels a go...damn!

Edit: Just looked at the shipping costs and when the tax is adjusted and you add shipping to Ireland, the cost jumps to €959 making them €30 more than what I paid for the Quattros. Think i'll just keep the quattros as the Fletch wheels require rim tape (whereas the quattros don't) and so that adds on another 20-40g depending on what tape is used and so the differences between the two become much smaller and less attractive.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:41 pm 

German is my native language, and for me, the non removeable brand decals under paint are a definite no-go.

The Name is quite polarising, some people love it, some find it ridiculous - like some of the Lightweight product names, which I also wouldn't want to see on my bike.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:05 pm 

ak47 wrote:
stormur wrote:

That's part of the story. The hassle with shipping, possible import taxes, dealing with chinese carbon sellers and warranty is another one. For a good quality chinese carbon clinchers from a reputable seller with shipping costs and modern rim you have to pay around 650-700 Euros or so. I'd rather get some german stuff even if I was going to be some "early adopter". Yes, we don't know what the final result of these new wheels is, but at least if there are some problems you have to deal with some guys on the other part of the globe who have problems in decent english communication.

Im ordering often from the bike-components.de including two pairs of wheelset. Even when there was some problems, at the end they was fair and professional.

I can recommend them based on my experience for service, still someone will have to be early tester of this wheelset :) and share his experience.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 4:27 am 

madcow wrote:
We're pretty excited to get those going in full force. We've been slowly trickling out some sets over the last few months, but the first good sized batch of rims should arrive in the next 2 weeks.

Any specs you can divulge at the moment....width external/internal or depth(s)?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 1:21 pm 

It is worth mentioning that the process used for these rims is not filament winding, which is what Venn and FSE are doing, but braiding. I'm not saying one is better than the other, just pointing out that they are different :)

In filament winding the carbon filament is going through a resin bath and then wound onto a mandrel to get the filaments to form a rim shape. The filament is kept under tension during the entire process and the resin cures when the winding is finished. I assume they remove this mandrel somehow after winding. Most likely they make the rim bed and brake track separately and bond everything together afterwards. It is quite hard to find pictures of the process.

For braided rims dry fibre, from several spools, is wound around a core to make up the shape of the rim. The "dry fibre rim" is then put in a mould, resin is injected and heat and pressure is applied. The core is removed afterwards. It might seem like they can make the rim bed and brake tracks in the same process, but not sure on that one.

Erik
Mechanical engineer working with filament winding of carbon fibre pressure vessels

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:00 pm 

Call me a cynic,

If they assemble the wheels in Germany, they can say "made in Germany" because they add more value to the wheel. It's like Pinarello making their frames in Taiwan and painting them in Italy - "Made in Italy". I can't believe they can make a carbon wheelset for €899 and still be competitive unless their margin was tiny.

Visit the Hambini Website

Posted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:00 pm 

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:02 pm 

The rims are braided in Munich

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next