Bora Ultra 35 vs. 50

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

nom8099

by nom8099

I'm planning to buy a Bora Ultra 35 to climb up the hill.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

fogman

by fogman

nom8099 wrote:I'm planning to buy a Bora Ultra 35 to climb up the hill.

This is great advice. Thank you for your contribution!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's all downhill from here, except for the uphills.

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

fogman wrote:
nom8099 wrote:I'm planning to buy a Bora Ultra 35 to climb up the hill.

This is great advice. Thank you for your contribution!

Maybe it's a language issue but I'm sure he really meant to say the 35s are preferred if one likes to climb.

Personally I went for the 50's even though I climb a lot. I live on a 500' tall hill and to leave my house I first descend 500'. I love my 50's and given a choice of having only one wheelset I'd choose the 50. To me riding is not all about the ascent. To go up one must also come down. I want the wheel that will give me the highest avg speed for the entire ride, even if that meant a bit slower time going up the hill. To be honest due to the small weight difference between the 35 and the 50, the 50's are slower perhaps only on hills steeper than 5%. Anything less steep the aero advantage of the 50 cancel out the weight disadvantage.

sawyer

by sawyer

Like Calnago, I'm one of the few on this forum to have wide 35s and 50s and the previous narrower 50s also

In terms of the current wider Boras ... purely for climbing I actually think the rear 50 is marginally preferable as it feels slightly stiffer. So perhaps 50 rear and 35 front is optimised for climbing "feel" at least. The differences here are very small though

Other than that I'd say only if you live in a windy area or prefer the looks go for 35s. The 50s have a small aero and stiffness benefit, and the weight difference is marginal
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

LionelB

by LionelB

For pure climbing I guess the 35 or Hyperon are better but not by a whole lot compared to the 50. Descending when windy is where I prefer the shallower ones.

RyanH

by RyanH

I don't have too many miles on the 50s yet but they seem to be slightly stiffer when out of the saddle rocking the bike side to side than the 35s.

Now that I've seen the light and am in the Bora camp, what else do you ride that compares well to these wheels? Older Reynolds and Zipp FC aren't comparable. The Zipp fc were good on comfort but cornering felt wider than (understeer) the Reynolds. Boras are just on another level when it comes to cornering which is why I adore them so much now.

hatsunagi

by hatsunagi

Go for 35 for hills. But i would choose 50; advantages on your flat course outvalue weight-disadvantage

Sent from my SM-G920K using Tapatalk

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

I'm not sure how many of you realize but the delta between Bora 35 and Bora 50 is less than 3 watts at higher yaw angle. At lower yaw angle, you'd be splitting hairs. Aesthetics of Bora 50 should be the pivot of your decision.
Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

:arrow: CBA = Chronic Bike Addiction
:arrow: OCD = Obsessive Cycling Disorder

3Pio

by 3Pio

mpulsiv wrote:I'm not sure how many of you realize but the delta between Bora 35 and Bora 50 is less than 3 watts at higher yaw angle. At lower yaw angle, you'd be splitting hairs. Aesthetics of Bora 50 should be the pivot of your decision.

Am i the only one who actually prefer Bora 35 Look compared to Bora 50?

For me Bora 35 look very good , not so agresive aesthetic, very discrete and sofisticated. The lower weight, less prone to wind are bonus. But of course aesthetic is something personal.

I rode Bora 50 only on test ride year ago, and i found it too stiff and a bit harsh (but it was short test Pinarello Dogma F8, so before any conclusion i should ride again). Anyway whatever u choose 50 vs 35 there is no mistake. I said once, and i'll say again :) If u have budget for Ultra wheelset, then go for both 35 and 50 in One version. So if u find out that u dont need two wheelset, keep the version u like, and sell the other pair. That way ull find out which one u prefer, having a pleasure of test riding them both (or owning them both :) ), and in worst case to sell one pair, u still wont loose too much money

sawyer

by sawyer

mpulsiv wrote:I'm not sure how many of you realize but the delta between Bora 35 and Bora 50 is less than 3 watts at higher yaw angle. At lower yaw angle, you'd be splitting hairs. Aesthetics of Bora 50 should be the pivot of your decision.

It's entirely possible aesthetics might lead you to favour the 35s

They suit different bikes. An aero frame will look better with 50s. Slimmer tubed more traditional bike perhaps better with 35s.

As an owner of both I have some time for 3pio's comment re 35s having a more discrete, sophisticated aesthetic. They also, FWIW, hint at a depth of cycling passion and knowledge that 50mm rims don't quite match.

We do realise the delta in aero performance btw - if you mean the data covered in a thread on the Tour magazine test?
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

neeb

by neeb

Got the 50s (ones) recently, then found a place in France that sells single Bora wheels.. Now have a 35 front to swap out for the 50 front when windy / climbing.. Perfect! :D

https://www.cycletyres.com/campagnolo-b ... -4636.html

nismosr

by nismosr

I just bought the wider bora one 35 and 50, coming from a bora ultra first gen and bora one narrow. Cant wait to ride them out.
2020 Colnago C64 Mapei-SR12 EPS-WTO 60
2021 Basso Diamante SV-SR12 Disc EPS-WTO 60
2023 Colnago G3X-SRAM AXS Force-Levante

bilwit

by bilwit

sawyer wrote:

It's entirely possible aesthetics might lead you to favour the 35s

They suit different bikes. An aero frame will look better with 50s. Slimmer tubed more traditional bike perhaps better with 35s.

As an owner of both I have some time for 3pio's comment re 35s having a more discrete, sophisticated aesthetic. They also, FWIW, hint at a depth of cycling passion and knowledge that 50mm rims don't quite match.

We do realise the delta in aero performance btw - if you mean the data covered in a thread on the Tour magazine test?

Yep, although I think a slim bike with deep hoops is more forgiving than an aero bike with mid/low profile.

Noctiluxx

by Noctiluxx

I have a 2017 TCR Advanced SL with the 2015 Bora Ultra 50 clinchers. The bike with these wheels is sublime! I just test rode a Madone 9.5 and Pinarello F8 over the weekend as I was shopping for a new aero bike with interest in a Madone and Pianrello F10. I rode the F8 and Madone 9.5 intend due to my size not available in the higher spec siblings. Honestly, neither bike, specially the Madone, came close to my TCR with the Boras. In the end I took a chance and ordered a Bianchi Oltre XR4 even though non were available to be seen, nevermind ridden. So now I'm thinking of moving the Bora Ultra 50's to the new Oltre and picking up the BA 35's for the TCR? What do you think? I was also considering keeping the Bora 50's on the TCR and using my Zipp 404 NSW's, great, but not as good as the Boras) on the Oltre. What do you think?
Bianchi Oltre XR4, De Rosa SK Pininfarina, Trek Madone SLR, Giant TCR Advanced SL, Cervelo R5 Disk, Giant Revolt

Catagory6

by Catagory6

i've got both the One 35, and the One 50 tubulars, with the same Veloflex arenberg tires (and Vittoria Mastik One in 3 layers), except for a Conti Comp 25 on the 35 rear, and i'm wondering if anybody else who has both, feels such a huge difference in acceleration?

with the 35s, the bike literally jumps out from underneath me with every pedal stroke.
in comparison, the 50s feel noticeably more sluggish.

now its hard for me to tell if the 50s actually hold their momentum better than the 35s, or not?

or if the difference comes down to a better glue job on the 35s?
when i mounted new tires on the 50s, i think the glue might have been a little lumpy

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com