Strange shifting after installing Reynolds Aero 72

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

addictR1

by addictR1

running SRAM Red 10 speed group, RD is short cage. previous wheel setup was Kinlin XR-31T with Bitex hubs with Ultegra 6700 12/30 cassette. shifts perfectly and smooth all the way through.

Aero 72 came with 2 alloy spacers for 11sp. so i put both spacers on last night and installed the Aero 72 with the same cassette. everything shifts fine until the last 3 sprockets (24, 27, 30t). then it had some chain hopping back and forth. i adjusted the B-screw all the way in, pushing the RD as far out as possible, but still hop.

later, i tried using the same alloy spacer from my kinlin onto the aero72 and this time.. only the 27 to 30t jumps back and forth.

when i put the kinlin back with the same spacer and cassette.. no problem. what could be the cause?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Mep

by Mep

Are you able to try it without the spacer?

addictR1

by addictR1

the aero72 hub is a 11sp. if i don't use spaces, my 10sp cassette will be loose.

MisterMuncher

by MisterMuncher

Iirc, there's two different spacers in play here. There was/is a spacer required by some (mostly Shimano) 10speed cassettes to fit on a 8/9/10 speed freehub, and then there's the 1.8mm spacer required to put a 10 on an 11 speed. Double check that the spacers are different width and there aren't any additional spacers "stuck" on the back of your cassette.

Mep

by Mep

Ah I should've read more closely. What it sounds like is your cassette has moved inboard and there isn't enough tension to stay on the largest ring. I've had to reindex my gears entirely for some wheel changes. What you're describing reminds me of when I moved from Mavic to Reynolds.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

addictR1

by addictR1

mods.. please close this thread. i figured out what happened. adjusted the b-screw and limit screws and fixed.