Roval CLX 50 Clincher Rim Review

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

toronto-rider

by toronto-rider

Been riding my CLX 50 for 4 months. Step up with Tubeless Pro One 25 tires. Shop could not get the tires to seal using just the plugs, had to use tape.
Love the wheels, they are fast and with 80 PSI backs dn 75 Front ride like a dream. I sometimes dont pump the tires up for a week and ride them at around 60/65 PSI.
I have a Specialized Sworks Tarmac and the bike accelerates very well.

Only issue is the braking. In the dry they are ok, in the wet, terrible. I dont know how the Pros (Quickstep and Bora) ride these wheels in races in the wet and are able to stop so well.

If I had these on a disc bike, would give them 10 out of 10.
I would not call myself a novice rider, how people say there is no difference between disc and rim brakes, this is the biggest reason to get discs. I dont start my rides in the wet, however the weather this year has been so bad that so many rides it ends up raining.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Pepsi

by Pepsi

I have been riding my CLX50 for 2 months. On my trip in Dolomites i have damaged my front Wheel. (descent from Gavia). I have send it back to Specialized.
Had to wait for 2 months for my new Wheel (out of stock) :evil: :evil:

Because of that and poor bracking with Swiss Top brake pads i would like to try Corima brake pads.

Have any of you trayed Corima brake pads? Can i do some damage whit them?

https://www.photobox.co.uk/my/photo/full?photo_id=9966386537

https://www.photobox.co.uk/my/photo/full?photo_id=9966386510

Beaver

by Beaver

Black Prince pads are strong but develop a lot of heat. Corima cork pads are weaker (and really bad in the wet) but go easy on the rim. A compromise would be Zipp or Enve brake pads.

A lot of people are also happy with these: http://www.wiggle.co.uk/lifeline-perfor ... pack-of-4/

Bordcla

by Bordcla

Are the rim brake wheel rims also hookless like the disc wheel rim?

What is everyone's experience running them with standard (non tubeless) clinchers? ENVE recommends not using standard clinchers with their 4.5 AR wheelset (also hookless) saying there is a risk that the tire could blow off the rim.

Is it something in their design that differs from the CLX 50 or are they just being overly cautions in case someone figures to run 120 psi in them?

sethjs

by sethjs

Rim brake version has hooks

jlok

by jlok

it still gladly takes clincher tires don't worry.
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

Delorre

by Delorre

Bordcla wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:04 pm
Are the rim brake wheel rims also hookless like the disc wheel rim?

What is everyone's experience running them with standard (non tubeless) clinchers? ENVE recommends not using standard clinchers with their 4.5 AR wheelset (also hookless) saying there is a risk that the tire could blow off the rim.

Is it something in their design that differs from the CLX 50 or are they just being overly cautions in case someone figures to run 120 psi in them?
I really don't remember my clx 32 disc's being hookless! And by the sound of the beed clicking in place when inflating after a tyre or inner tyre swap, the design is def. not hookless. Where do you have that info from? As other, I use them with regular (latex) innertube, inflated to 70/80 psi ( 25c michelin tyres), not a problem in more than 1 year of use.

NovemberDave

by NovemberDave

Delorre wrote:
Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:37 am
And by the sound of the beed clicking in place when inflating after a tyre or inner tyre swap, the design is def. not hookless.
I don’t know whether these rims are hookless or not but the pop sound is the tire bead seating itself up on the shelf and against the sidewall. Hookless rims definitely make the pop.

req110

by req110

Hey guys, are these wheels still competitive nowadays? I have possibility to purchase them for reasonable price.

21mm iw / 30mm ow - the best width IMO
weight around 1420g - really good for 50mm
50mm depth - my favourite depth
proven dt240 hubs

Are these any drawbacks nowadays?
SW SL8 RTP 56cm @ 9270 / CLX II / CS OSPW / CEMA BB
S Epic 8 L @ XX T-Type / Berg Ratheberg 30 / Quarq / Fox Transfer SL 100mm / 3p

marek

by marek

ROVAL was ahead of the game in terms of the width and weight so they are still very good wheels. I had CLX64 and miss them badly ;) Take it !