Who is running latex tubes on carbon clinchers?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

RJKflyer

by RJKflyer

Am considering doing so, and yes am fully aware of the official guidance to not do so.

Rim brakes and probably Campy Bora 35.

However, the concern emanates from heat and heat comes from distance done at weight and gradient etc...

I'm 130lbs and my descending is pretty much limited to a couple of miles at 5% max probably no more than 3-4 times reasonably evenly-spaced throughout 30-40 miles. Plus maybe an occasional few tenths of a mile at 20%.

Thoughts? Please - only if you are doing it/have done it...!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

duende

by duende

Same situation. I'm close to 200lbs though. Been running latex in my Bora 35's in the Bay Area. I've done plenty of descending off some rather steep hills/mountains, but I've only had the wheels a couple months. So far so good, but definitely am concerned about it.

AZR3

by AZR3

I have about 10k miles on my RaceRim CCs with Vittoria latex tubes with no issues. I've done plenty of climbing and descending with some heavy/emergency braking, all without any heat related issues.

PrimO

by PrimO

I'm using Michelin latex tubes in my Fulcrum Quattro Carbons with no problems in the last 12 months. I have checked the wheels for heat build up at the bottom of a few descents shortly after I fitted the latex tubes and while they were warm, they weren't anywhere near where they'd heat up or burst the tubes.

I also tested them on a long 2km straight descent where I had reached just over 70kms and dragged the brakes for approx. 400m just to see how hot they got. They were admittedly hot but I could hold my fingers on the brake track without them getting burned so it wasn't going to do the tubes any harm.

RJKflyer

by RJKflyer

Confirms what I suspected, but real world feedback much appreciated.

So far, so good...

dereksmalls

by dereksmalls

Running Vredestein latex (becoming increasingly harder to find though) with old style Enve 45 clinchers since I got them in like 2012 I think?. Had no issues with them over heating or blowing out at all on long dragging decents on even short hard stress braking. and I don't think it's really an issue anymore these days to be honest. Rim technology has come a way since this was first an issue. Oh and I'm 70kg

guyc

by guyc

Yes. Vittoria tubes on Cosmic Pro Carbon SL's but I live in an area with no serious hills. I'm 86kg.

golfsierra

by golfsierra

I run Boyd 44mm CCs with Michellin Latex tubes

73kg and don't do any serious descending, but so far, so good.

Johnny Rad

by Johnny Rad

After >10K mi, I've got the same pos experience with latex and clinchers. I don't stress it anymore.

Even when I warped a rear wheel years ago descending behind a car (totally my fault) down a steep descent, the latex tube inside didn't pop.

Rider weight and grade is important to the formula, but so is NOT dragging your brakes. It was steep going up, so enjoy the fast descent!

RJKflyer

by RJKflyer

Thanks all.

Looks like you are all going to cost me some money...!

Marin

by Marin

The most commont source of failing latex tubes is faulty installation.

You should be able to install the tire without levers, and you need to be very careful to not catch the tube under the bead by checking the bead visually after the tire is mounted.

A pinched tube will explode after a *random* duration! Maybe during inflation, mabye in the night, maybe during the next ride. The telltale sign is a long tear. This happens on clinchers regarless of whether they are carbon or alu.

When istalled correctly, latex tubes will suffer fewer snakebite punctures, and when pierced by glass or thorns will leak air quite slowly, so they are actually safer than butyl.

Unlike with tubulars slipping on hot rims, I haven't heard any confirmed temperature related failures from latex. All incidents reportes as such were the long tear type associated with sloppy installation.

RJKflyer

by RJKflyer

Marin wrote:The most commont source of failing latex tubes is faulty installation.

You should be able to install the tire without levers, and you need to be very careful to not catch the tube under the bead by checking the bead visually after the tire is mounted.

A pinched tube will explode after a *random* duration! Maybe during inflation, mabye in the night, maybe during the next ride. The telltale sign is a long tear. This happens on clinchers regarless of whether they are carbon or alu.

When istalled correctly, latex tubes will suffer fewer snakebite punctures, and when pierced by glass or thorns will leak air quite slowly, so they are actually safer than butyl.

Unlike with tubulars slipping on hot rims, I haven't heard any confirmed temperature related failures from latex. All incidents reportes as such were the long tear type associated with sloppy installation.

Quite. Have run latex tubes without a single failure on my current wheels and/but of course you need to be careful during installation. But then we should be with any fitment...

Unbrokenchain

by Unbrokenchain

Do use talc on latex tubes when installing?

RJKflyer

by RJKflyer

Unbrokenchain wrote:Do use talc on latex tubes when installing?

yes, always. Anything to help prevent the (thin) tube snagging on assembly and/or later on.

Marin

by Marin

I put the tubes in a plastic bag with a bit of talc and shake. Butyl too usually.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com