Who is running latex tubes on carbon clinchers?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

ryanw
in the industry

by ryanw

Conti Supersonics in my 404s with no issues. Actually made the ride better.
SL8 S-Works Project Black - 6.29kg
IG: RhinosWorkshop

ms6073

by ms6073

We are running Zipp 303 FC and Nox Falkor 36D with Michelin and Vittoria latex tubes with no issues outside of normal wear and tear and the occasional flat from bits of road debris.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

dereksmalls

by dereksmalls

Marin wrote:I put the tubes in a plastic bag with a bit of talc and shake. Butyl too usually.

I've never thought to do it like that, that's a great idea! Seems better than talc in the tire and rotating it around.

Marin

by Marin

dereksmalls wrote:I've never thought to do it like that, that's a great idea! Seems better than talc in the tire and rotating it around.

Plus, talc is getting a bad rep these days, seems you want to avoid breathing it in.

RJKflyer

by RJKflyer

Marin wrote:
dereksmalls wrote:I've never thought to do it like that, that's a great idea! Seems better than talc in the tire and rotating it around.

Plus, talc is getting a bad rep these days, seems you want to avoid breathing it in.

Life will kill you at some point...

Marin

by Marin

yes but how

TonyM

by TonyM

Since I switch 30 years ago from tubs to tires I am using latex tubes (Vittoria, Continental, Vredestein, Michelin, etc....). They are much nicer to ride than the Butyl tubes (and it seems faster also).

I use latex tubes in all my wheels, also in my carbon wheels (Lightweight Meilenstein Schwarz Ed.).
However if I bike in the Alps for example, I switch to my alloy wheelset (Fulcrum Racing Zero), just because the security is then more important to me (I am over 50 y.o. and I dont't go anymore for the best time - which I anyway will never get again compared to my 20's).

When you use latex tubes, there are however some points that you have to be aware of:
- Use of talc is mandatory in order to avoid too much movement of the latex tube in the tire and the break of the valve.
- if you ride more than 4 hours, then the best is also to adjust the tire pressure depending on the duration of the ride (as the latex tend to loose some psi with the time). So put a little more when you start riding your 4-6 hours ride.

MattN

by MattN

ryanw wrote:Conti Supersonics in my 404s with no issues. Actually made the ride better.

That's butyl though so not relevant to running latex tubes in CC.

ryanw
in the industry

by ryanw

MattN wrote:
ryanw wrote:Conti Supersonics in my 404s with no issues. Actually made the ride better.

I know, but it's a superior and lighter product, hence why I posted.

No issues with pressure loss, holds 120psi for a week no probs.
SL8 S-Works Project Black - 6.29kg
IG: RhinosWorkshop

coloclimber

by coloclimber

No bad issues with vittoria latex on bontrager aeolus and vittoria and conti tires with cork pads in the winter. But I run tubies in the summer.
I am excited there are so many latex options and widths available now with Challenge, Bontrager, Vittoria, Michelin...
-Deacon Doctor Colorado Slim

duende

by duende

ryanw wrote:
MattN wrote:

I know, but it's a superior and lighter product, hence why I posted.

No issues with pressure loss, holds 120psi for a week no probs.

How's the ride? Pinch flats?

That's the thing for me with latex tubes. I almost never flat. Only when the tread on my tires is gone.

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

Personally I don't run latex tubes. According to Enve the issue with latex is that running latex in a clincher rim is bad, regardless of whether the rim is made of aluminum or carbon. I agree with them 100%. Personally I have had horrible experiences using latex tubes in an aluminum clincher rim. I've had numerous blowouts and unexplained flats. Using the same installation method I switched to butyl and no more blowouts.

Currently I'm using Conti Supersonics with great results. 49g per tube and the rolling resistance is almost as good as latex without the safety hazard of latex.

Here the Enve warning on latex and clincher wheels. There's a good reason why Conti doesn't sell latex tubes you can buy but they use latex tubes in their tubular tires.

https://enve.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/artic ... her-Wheels

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Johnny Rad

by Johnny Rad

Installation with latex is UNforgiving. Ask me how I know! Ha.

If I get a flat on the road, I replace my latex tube with a butyl one. I put too much pressure on myself to get the gang back rolling again so I pack butyl in my saddle bag. I replace the butyl with latex once I get home where I can methodically and precisely install the latex.

TonyM

by TonyM

Johnny Rad wrote:Installation with latex is UNforgiving. Ask me how I know! Ha.

If I get a flat on the road, I replace my latex tube with a butyl one. I put too much pressure on myself to get the gang back rolling again so I pack butyl in my saddle bag. I replace the butyl with latex once I get home where I can methodically and precisely install the latex.

+1. Same for me. Spare tube is always butyl (but I had a puncture maybe maximum 4-5 times in more than 30 years of cycling - with latex tubes)....

Marin

by Marin

Same for me, I have a Conti Supersonic (excellent tubes, too!) as a spare, but at home I repair the latex tube and back in it goes.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com