Who is running latex tubes on carbon clinchers?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

matty

by matty

Marin wrote:Same for me, I have a Conti Supersonic (excellent tubes, too!) as a spare, but at home I repair the latex tube and back in it goes.

What patches to people use on latex tubes? Hear some use an old latex tube and glue small piece of latex over the hole.

I stupidly did not deal with the 2 pin holes near rim join when using veloplugs so that is where my tubes punctured.

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

I've used Michelin tubs with Easton Aero55 and not had an issue for 3+ years.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Marin

by Marin

matty wrote:What patches to people use on latex tubes? Hear some use an old latex tube and glue small piece of latex over the hole.

I use regular "tip top" brand patches. Never had one fail.

trustbran

by trustbran

Descended Mt. Diablo like a million times on Latex+CC.... all good here

TonyM

by TonyM

Marin wrote:
matty wrote:What patches to people use on latex tubes? Hear some use an old latex tube and glue small piece of latex over the hole.

I use regular "tip top" brand patches. Never had one fail.

+1. Bought some Parktool "preglued" patches but never used them so far...

ms6073

by ms6073

TonyM wrote:Bought some Parktool "preglued" patches but never used them so far...

If these are the ones where you peel off the backing and stick on, then I found that those work great on butyl inner tubes but can be hit or miss with latex tubes. The Rema TipTop round patches with Rema adhesive have tended to be the best 'store bought' solution for latex tubes but the fact that the Rema don't stretch tends to limit inflation diameter in the area of the repair.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

TonyM

by TonyM

ms6073 wrote:
TonyM wrote:Bought some Parktool "preglued" patches but never used them so far...

If these are the ones where you peel off the backing and stick on, then I found that those work great on butyl inner tubes but can be hit or miss with latex tubes. The Rema TipTop round patches with Rema adhesive have tended to be the best 'store bought' solution for latex tubes but the fact that the Rema don't stretch tends to limit inflation diameter in the area of the repair.

Ok, good to know for the Parktool patches. Thanks!
(I carry the regular tip-top and the Parktool just in case I would have two punctures on the same ride (it happened only one time so far - as I was riding some butyl tubes....)

Svetty

by Svetty

Related question - how long do people continue to use a latex tube for before replacing it due to age?

TonyM

by TonyM

Svetty wrote:Related question - how long do people continue to use a latex tube for before replacing it due to age?

I change them every 4-5 years.

MattSoutherden

by MattSoutherden

This is what I do.
Snacking on carrot sticks - Where did it all go so wrong?
-
Finsbury Park CC

Multebear

by Multebear

I'm in Spain at the moment riding mountains. 50 mm Farsports carbon clinchers and running latex tubes. I wasn't sure, I had the balls to do so. But after 5 days of climbing and descending with no issues, I don't really worry about it anymore. I'm 88 kg's at the moment, and I descend pretty hard, and brake hard when needed. But I don't drag the brakes, only pulsated braking. Running a mix of Michelin and Vittoria tubes. I've ridden these wheels with latex tubes for a couple of years back home, where there are no mountains with no issues as well. But as others mention, correct installation of tubes is the key. If you have blowouts, it's due to wrong installation, where the tube gets caught between tire bead and rim.

Dansanmartin

by Dansanmartin

Been running latex in carbon for years, both Enve and Lightweight. On flats at speed and occasionally on long decentes. Never had a blow out, only slow leaking punctures that would happen in any butyl tyre. Didn't even know about the alleged carbon/latex incompatibility until i read a recent web post on the topic. The risk sounds extremely low and it sounds more like an anti-litigation strategy than anything to be genuinely concerned about.

Stueys

by Stueys

I ran latex in my Enve 4.5's for a season without issues, then saw the Enve notice on running latex tubes and swapped them out. I didn't have an issue with them but the risk/reward ratio didn't seem worth it to me.

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

The risk vs reward is much better for Enve that it is for the end user. Most companies have warning labels. Heck, ever read an owners manual for a car? Of course not, nobody does. How about a bicycle manual? If you followed all the warning signs the safest place would be to stay at home.

Most of the warnings are put there so IF they go to court, they can say, 'I told you so'. I live in a country that is run by the rule of law, not common sense.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

LewisK

by LewisK

I have been running Vitoria Latex tubes for the last 3 years and touch wood no problems. Have used them in Mavic, Lightweight and Fulcrum. Currently using Racing Zero Carbon’s with latex tubes and they have been brilliant, including 2 summer trips to Mallorca this year.